Wobbly decents then death spiral

Reaction score
I have had a couple of times where I wanted to descend quickly and the copter got quite wobbly so I had to slow down. But yesterday, while descending the copter just went nuts, pitching and dropping quickly despite trying to send it up. It crashed and broke the legs off. This is real spooky. I have a 2w 2.4 booster on the remote and a 2w booster on the FPV. Can they get tangled up? Not sure what to do. The copter seems fine now.

I think I figured out what might have happened, I might have used a battery that I thought was fully charged but actually wasn't. I had some trouble a few moments earlier going as high as I wanted. That was probably a clue that the battery was depleted.

Yup, that will be Vortex Ring State or Settle with Power, depending which site of the Atlantic you are on.

Take off any prop guards and descend on a glide slope, not straight down.

Not the battery. You can't just descend rapidly. You went into a vortex ring state

noiseboy72 said:
Yup, that will be Vortex Ring State or Settle with Power, depending which site of the Atlantic you are on.

Take off any prop guards and descend on a glide slope, not straight down.
No need to take prop guards off. My Phantom has guards and i can come down fast with no problems...not straight down. That's no good, gaurds or not. Come down at an angle and stay in clean air.

Prop guards DO increase the potential for VRS. This is a proven fact, not a point of discussion.

Fly with them by all means, but you are increasing the risk of an uncontrolled descent.

What props are you using/ What mods have you done to the phantom which might increase weight? If you used 9443 props with a heavy bird then you may well have problems with VRS like the other guys have said. Upgrade to the 9450 props if you are flying a heavy bird. As for prop guards by all means fly with them while you are getting the hang of things but when you feel confident take them off as they essentially are extra weight and cause turbulence in the props down force which will also reduce efficiency.

Joesrevolution said:
What props are you using/ What mods have you done to the phantom which might increase weight? If you used 9443 props with a heavy bird then you may well have problems with VRS like the other guys have said. Upgrade to the 9450 props if you are flying a heavy bird. As for prop guards by all means fly with them while you are getting the hang of things but when you feel confident take them off as they essentially are extra weight and cause turbulence in the props down force which will also reduce efficiency.

Very nicely put. +1

I think what got tangled up is the airflow around your props. ;)

pmacafee, are you familiar with VRS?
Simply put, it's the turbulence caused by your props which turns your flying machine into a falling machine.

I would like to say "Forward Speed" will solve your problems but, these crazy flying machines will go in any direction almost as efficiently as they will move forward. That being said, don't descend through the air you have disrupted.
Move laterally as you descend and you can come down very quickly.

And now back to... Prop Guards.
They are awesome rubber baby buggy bumpers.
Nope their not made of rubber but will save you tons of money if you run into stuff (like I do).
They add weight, drag, turbulence, and slow you down, and reduce your flight time... and on and on and on.

I'm considering building a bronze statue in honor of Prop Guards. :D

Have fun, let us know how things develop.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl