P4P v2.0 took off on its own, crashed.

Reaction score
Website
www.jeffreysipress.com
This is a followup to my post in the P4P Help forum.

I've owned my bird for a week. First three flights were fantastic. Next day it lightly crashed by ignoring my commands. Today it really wigged out .Since my last flight was problematic, I checked every setting in the controller and restored the EXP to default. Fresh battery. I started, hovered up to around 20 feet. and did a few small loops in Tripod Mode, to be safe. Went a little higher and did the same. Again, the ascending was really fast and the descending was very slow. While in safe territory I pressed RTH, and it simply ascended rapidly so high I could barely see it. The altimeter said it was at 40 feet or so the whole time, but I'm guessing a few hundred feet. The up/down left stick was useless. Before it went into earth orbit, I pressed auto-land and swiped the screen to confirm. It seemed to be descending (so high up I couldn't tell the rate). Then I get a better visual and it is dropping really fast. I'm jamming the joystick to brake with no response and it smashes to the ground, breaking a prop, bending and cracking the legs and popping off two side sensor covers, never found. I didn't test the gimbal functional yet. This is sort of what happened on the last flight before I checked everything and reset. This malfunction had nothing to do with anything I was doing. I have to contact DJI and ask for a new one under warranty. What a pain in the arse.

Last edited:
Today it really wigged out
If you had followed the advice given in your other thread, the issue could have most likely been diagnosed. I do re-call suggesting that you had an issue with the VPS. I have seen a similar thing before. The logs would indicate such. I would suggest that you share the flight logs here first, before you send anything to DJI. If we can spot what the issue was, it could help your case, depending on what it was. They will ask you for the logs for sure.

This is a followup to my post in the P4P Help forum.

I've owned my bird for a week. First three flights were fantastic. Next day it lightly crashed by ignoring my commands. Today it really wigged out .Since my last flight was problematic, I checked every setting in the controller and restored the EXP to default. Fresh battery. I started, hovered up to around 20 feet. and did a few small loops in Tripod Mode, to be safe. Went a little higher and did the same. Again, the ascending was really fast and the descending was very slow. While in safe territory I pressed RTH, and it simply ascended rapidly so high I could barely see it. The altimeter said it was at 40 feet or so the whole time, but I'm guessing a few hundred feet. The up/down left stick was useless. Before it went into earth orbit, I pressed auto-land and swiped the screen to confirm. It seemed to be descending (so high up I couldn't tell the rate). Then I get a better visual and it is dropping really fast. I'm jamming the joystick to brake with no response and it smashes to the ground, breaking a prop, bending and cracking the legs and popping off two side sensor covers, never found. I didn't test the gimbal functional yet. This what happened on the last flight before I checked everything and reset, but slower. This malfunction had nothing to do with anything I was doing. I have to contact DJI and ask for a new one under warranty. What a pain in the ***.
Sorry to read in morning again,,,what was your rth height,it shouldn't exceed that height,I think something was not set up right,,,yes we here to offer help and suggestions,,if you not reply at least no one will comment, it's all good posting about it but you seem not open to advice,,hope dji replace it for you

Yes, I know, Fly Dawg. I'm trying to see the flight logs today, but none of the ones in the list are coming up. I press on any one, and the 'loading' spinning icon goes on forever in the flight log viewer screen. I was going to transfer them to my Mac, but the controller will not recognize the USB cable plugin into it even though I tried multiple ports and rebooting the controller. There are problems preventing me from getting any further. I appreciate your patience with me. I'm generally very good at fixing things.

Last edited:
I was going to transfer them to mu Mac, but the controller will not recognize the USB cable plugin into it.
You don't need the controller unless you have the RC with the built in screen. Follow the instructions that are on the link. You only need to copy them from your device.Here it is again. Log Viewer

Yes, I know, Fly Dawg. I'm trying to see the flight logs today, but none of the ones in the list are coming up. I press on one, and the 'loading' spinning icon goes on forever. I was going to transfer them to mu Mac, but the controller will not recognize the USB cable plugin into it. There are problems preventing me from getting any further. Even though I have the correct date and time set in settings, the flight records are showing wacky dates of other months this year. I appreciate your patience with me. I'm generally very good at fixing things.
Yes he has built in screen...all I can say is make sure flights synced to could and reinstall app,,flights logs might come right after another install

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Yes he has built in screen
That is the first V2 Iv'e heard of with such, but just threw that out just in case. I thought it was only the P4P+......

That is the first V2 Iv'e heard of with such, but just threw that out just in case. I thought it was only the P4P+......
...me think this chap not like me so good luck :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)
Screenshot_20181209-084035.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Oso
Yes, I have the P4P Pro + v2.0 (with built in display). OK, I got connected. I copied the Flight Record folder to my desktop along with the DJI RECORD folder. Now my controller says there are no flight records on it. What's that about? I only copied them, didn't delete anything. Copying from one volume (or device) to another never removes anything from the original location, But, it did with this controller!! Here is the last one from today. . I can't read it because the DJI Assistant 3 for Phantom app will not launch (another thread I had to start today). What a nightmare. It's like a Twilight Zone episode. And I have a broken drone.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2018-12-02_[21-41-22].txt
    1.9 MB · Views: 300
Last edited:
This is not the flight in question.

Reactions: JeffreyS
I see your right. It was the last one in the folder list but it's not today's. The 'date created' column only shows the date and time that the files were downloaded to the computer, a lot of good that does! Here are two from this morning. I needed to look at the dates embedded in the file name. Thanks again for helping me learn to save off and read these files!

I believe it's the one numbered 09-27-36, but both have very weird data.

The third one I just added is from a perfectly good flight a few days ago. I can see the difference in the data from a good flight and today's disaster. Clearly the craft was having major trouble knowing what it's altitude is, among other things.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2018-12-08_[09-27-36].txt
    255.8 KB · Views: 247
  • DJIFlightRecord_2018-12-08_[09-24-18].txt
    325.2 KB · Views: 243
  • DJIFlightRecord_2018-12-03_[22-45-59].txt
    1.1 MB · Views: 259
Last edited:
I see your right. It was the last one in the folder list but it's not today's. The 'date created' column only shows the date and time that the files were downloaded to the computer, a lot of good that does! Here are two from this morning. I needed to look at the dates embedded in the file name. Thanks again for helping me learn to save off and read these files!

I believe it's the one numbered 09-27-36, but both have very weird data.

The third one I just added is from a perfectly good flight a few days ago. I can see the difference in the data from a good flight and today's disaster. Clearly the craft was having major trouble knowing what it's altitude is, among other things.
just fyi that you can (should) upload your own files to the viewer and then put a link to it here in the forum.
here are the directions: P4P Pro v2.0 - bad Z axis issues

Clearly the craft was having major trouble knowing what it's altitude is
As I mentioned before, I suspected a VPS issue. It appears that in both flights, the VPS was not reporting correctly to the FC. Which in turn would cause the altitude issues. That said, I do not see the accentuated climb you mentioned. The climbs were commanded as far as I can see from,
Capture.PNG
I grant you a quick look. Don't have a lot of time this eve, but as I said, it appears at the moment to be related to the VPS, which you can turn off in the app. It is not needed and not useful, IMO. I never use it.

nice of you to do that for him and upload his files to the viewer. why do you think so many people dont follow the directions to upload the files to the viewer for them self?

Maybe because I've owned a drone for a week, never heard of such a viewer before, and had my first problem that required the flight data, something I was a not familiar with until today. What was your first time like??

As I mentioned before, I suspected a VPS issue. It appears that in both flights, the VPS was not reporting correctly to the FC. Which in turn would cause the altitude issues. That said, I do not see the accentuated climb you mentioned. The climbs were commanded as far as I can see from,I grant you a quick look. Don't have a lot of time this eve, but as I said, it appears at the moment to be related to the VPS, which you can turn off in the app. It is not needed and not useful, IMO. I never use it.

Thanks again, Dawg. I only had two flights today and hope the one with the altitude soar was the one you looked at. I know it was up around 250' or more, but It may not have known it to record that. The display stayed around 45 feet elevation for a long time though the craft was ascending and descending. I'm not too familiar with the graph you show but need a bit of time to familiarize myself with it. Is it from the link to PhantonHelp you provided? I did some uploading but only got a map and spreadsheet like chart.
And I've not seen anything called VSP on the controllers software options. I had the craft in Tripod Mode, if that makes any difference. I thought that would help avert the action that took place, but apparently not, even though I saw Tripod mode in the flight log.

Reactions: Rodee34
That really is an unusual set of data. Looking at the end of the flight shows the following:

attitude.png

The switch to from Tripod to RTH happened at 272 seconds, which should have led to a climb to the set RTH altitude of 30 m. The aircraft recorded an increase in altitude but the climb rate was way to low (< 0.5 m/s).

Then you cancelled RTH at 279 seconds, and selected autoland at 290 seconds. Forced landing was initiated 2 seconds later.

At 318 seconds the pitch and roll data start to look very odd - reminiscent of VRS on the Phantom 2. Numerous ESC errors (not enough force) started back at 279 seconds, but I don't know if they were real. In light of your observation about actual rate of climb, I suspect that the underlying problem was incorrect barometer data, which led the FC to think it was unable to climb.

This really needs either the aircraft or mobile device DAT files to diagnose properly.

Aircraft V3 DAT file: How to retrieve a V3 .DAT File from the AC

Mobile device DAT file: How to retrieve a V3.DAT from the tablet

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair