P4P v2.0 took off on its own, crashed.

I know it was up around 250' or more, but It may not have known it to record that.
Below is the similar graph of the second flight. The max altitude in both of these is approx 70Ft. This second flight also exhibits the VPS not reporting correctly as does the first one. I have seen this very similar thing before and have to ask you one question. Before these two flights, did you add a gimbal guard or anything else underneath the aircraft, which can block the VPS sensors, since the first flight you posted seemed to be fine in that regard. The data does look a bit odd as Sar104 mentioned above, however for the interim, it still looks like the VPS sensors are blocked.

Capture2.PNG

Reactions: sar104
Below show the barometer altitude and the VPS altitude from all 3 flights. The difference from the first one, dated 12/2/2018 and the last 2 are pretty obvious. This is why I asked the question regarding the gimbal guard.

12_2_2018.png

12_8_2018 Flight 1.png

12_8_2018 Flight 2.png

Below is the similar graph of the second flight. The max altitude in both of these is approx 70Ft. This second flight also exhibits the VPS not reporting correctly as does the first one. I have seen this very similar thing before and have to ask you one question. Before these two flights, did you add a gimbal guard or anything else underneath the aircraft, which can block the VPS sensors, since the first flight you posted seemed to be fine in that regard. The data does look a bit odd as Sar104 mentioned above, however for the interim, it still looks like the VPS sensors are blocked.

View attachment 106124

That's a good point - it could be the VPS sensor causing the problem. The VPS altitude remained below 1 m for the entire flight, and will have been inconsistent with the barometric and IMU data. The IMU clearly didn't completely trust the VPS since it shows the altitude going up to 22 m, but the conflict may have led to the other problems.

altitude.png

Can you retrieve my flight record also?
If you share the .txt file as the OP did in Post#9, yes. But you can upload that your self to the link below and share a link here to that if you want others to assist you with it. ( Instructions are on the Link )

Log Viewer

Reactions: Kenny1 and Oso
If you had followed the advice given in your other thread, the issue could have most likely been diagnosed.
Follow the instructions that are on the link. You only need to copy them from your device.Here it is again. Log Viewer
Before these two flights, did you add a gimbal guard or anything else underneath the aircraft, which can block the VPS sensors,
Hey man sorry. For some reason it was lost on me that this issue was spread out over two threads and I didn't notice that you had already recommended a few things over the last few days which I then repeated in the other thread. My bad. :oops:

If you share the .txt file as the OP did in Post#9, yes. But you can upload that your self to the link below and share a link here to that if you want others to assist you with it. ( Instructions are on the Link )

Log Viewer

Thanks! No need now but for future reference. Hopefully not needed

For some reason it was lost on me that this issue was spread out over two threads
No problem. It happens a lot to me too. ;)

Reactions: Oso
I also have a brand new p4pv2.0 have flown it a few times all seems well so far what is the VPS and if its no t needed why is it engaged?

what is the VPS
VPS..." Vision Positioning System"......These are the underneath aircraft sensors that detect the ground below for in theory, ease of landing. However, if the landing area is not linear in respect as to what the sensors relate to the FC, this could be an issue. You can turn these off in the app, which is always recommended when flying over water, but personally I find them of very limited usefulness in most any scenario.

VPS..." Vision Positioning System"......These are the underneath aircraft sensors that detect the ground below for in theory, ease of landing. However, if the landing area is not linear in respect as to what the sensors relate to the FC, this could be an issue. You can turn these off in the app, which is always recommended when flying over water, but personally I find them of very limited usefulness in most any scenario.
I would have thought the ultrasonic sensors would be a more likely source of suspicion given the OP’s issues. The vision system is for holding station and, as you have suggested, precision landing....

Been following this, dark but will try tomorrow if I turn my vps off my my p4 seems bit unsteady,I'm sure I tryed once before and it was bad so left it on ??I fly over all terrain & water and not had a problem,so reading this has got me ready for another test ,,
Why would this be is that the case,?? Was a Long time ago mayby it's ok,(now I'm sober)just kidding

Been following this, dark but will try tomorrow if I turn my vps off my my p4 seems bit unsteady,I'm sure I tryed once before and it was bad so left it on ??I fly over all terrain & water and not had a problem,so reading this has got me ready for another test ,,
Why would this be is that the case,?? Was a Long time ago mayby it's ok,(now I'm sober)just kidding
As a rule Mate- most things seem to work better when we aren’t sober....

This is a followup to my post in the P4P Help forum.

I've owned my bird for a week. First three flights were fantastic. Next day it lightly crashed by ignoring my commands. Today it really wigged out .Since my last flight was problematic, I checked every setting in the controller and restored the EXP to default. Fresh battery. I started, hovered up to around 20 feet. and did a few small loops in Tripod Mode, to be safe. Went a little higher and did the same. Again, the ascending was really fast and the descending was very slow. While in safe territory I pressed RTH, and it simply ascended rapidly so high I could barely see it. The altimeter said it was at 40 feet or so the whole time, but I'm guessing a few hundred feet. The up/down left stick was useless. Before it went into earth orbit, I pressed auto-land and swiped the screen to confirm. It seemed to be descending (so high up I couldn't tell the rate). Then I get a better visual and it is dropping really fast. I'm jamming the joystick to brake with no response and it smashes to the ground, breaking a prop, bending and cracking the legs and popping off two side sensor covers, never found. I didn't test the gimbal functional yet. This is sort of what happened on the last flight before I checked everything and reset. This malfunction had nothing to do with anything I was doing. I have to contact DJI and ask for a new one under warranty. What a pain in the arse.
I, had that exact same thing happen to Phantom 4Pro+ V2.0. When my bird crash landed the gimble smashed, both landing legs broken off, all props damaged. Sent back to DJI and after 3wks they had determined that the Fly Away was Pilot Error. The good thing was DJI made good and sent back to me a brand New Phantom 4 Pro V2.0.

Don't own a Phantom 4 but this applies just the same. I had an issue with a battery a while back and began copying my flight logs to the same folder as the videos for each flight. Afterwards, I upload to Log Viewer and analyze the health of each battery. Getting to know how to read the data is very helpful.

@sar104 and @Fly Dawg, how do you create those graphs?

Don't own a Phantom 4 but this applies just the same. I had an issue with a battery a while back and began copying my flight logs to the same folder as the videos for each flight. Afterwards, I upload to Log Viewer and analyze the health of each battery. Getting to know how to read the data is very helpful.

@sar104 and @Fly Dawg, how do you create those graphs?

The data are from the txt logs or DAT files. I use a scientific data analysis package (Igor Pro) to analyze and display the data. @Fly Dawg uses @BudWalker's CsvView software.

Reactions: Offroader
@Offroader .....Created with Excel and external graphing software from the .csv log and/or with @BudWalker 's CsvView.

Reactions: Offroader
@Offroader .....Created with Excel and external graphing software from the .csv log and/or with @BudWalker 's CsvView.

I didn't realize that you also used Excel. I find it useful for inspecting the data, especially the text fields, but it drives me nuts trying to create graphics.

Reactions: Meta4 and BudWalker
but it drives me nuts trying to create graphics.
Same here....Excel is not great for graphics, so I use an external program for that and just import the .csv, modifying the columns in Excel at times. ;)

I didn't realize that you also used Excel. I find it useful for inspecting the data, especially the text fields, but it drives me nuts trying to create graphics.
That was the reason that I developed CsvView. I can honestly say that for the same plot it's at least a 100 times faster to use CsvView than it is to use Excel. That said, I still use Excel for some things.

Last edited:
Reactions: msinger and sar104

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl