winter flights just a question

Reaction score
hello everyone...

ive got a question.. we all know that we have to take care our batteries by warming them before each flight.. but i saw in one article that cold weather affects their sensors as a result the bird to drift.. so my question is; what sensors are so sensitive in cold that may cause drifting??

here is the article that im talking about..
Drones in the winter: 8 tips for flying a drone in cold weather

thanks in advance

hello everyone...

ive got a question.. we all know that we have to take care our batteries by warming them before each flight.. but i saw in one article that cold weather affects their sensors as a result the bird to drift.. so my question is; what sensors are so sensitive in cold that may cause drifting??

here is the article that im talking about..
Drones in the winter: 8 tips for flying a drone in cold weather

thanks in advance
Technically speaking, temperature can have an effect on any electrical device, typically the colder the circuit the lower the electrical resistance. However, I've never experienced any flight issues concerning stability and control of the AC and I've flown as cold as minus 10c and as high as plus 30C. Temperature change seems to have no affect on the Phantom, other than reduced battery performance but that applies to any AC powered by batteries.

Reactions: PhantomFandom
Technically speaking, temperature can have an effect on any electrical device, typically the colder the circuit the lower the electrical resistance.

thanks for your time.. can you explain me what happens to the circuits when its cold?? is it about condensation?? i know that drift occur when compass or imu mod numbers are out of whack.. but how a compass can be affected by cold?? cannot give any explanation..

thanks for your time.. can you explain me what happens to the circuits when its cold?? is it about condensation?? i know that drift occur when compass or imu mod numbers are out of whack.. but how a compass can be affected by cold?? cannot give any explanation..
Putting a warm object into cold will not cause condensation, that happens when you do the reverse. The IMU and compass are electrical devices and not mechanical so temperature changes might affect their readings slightly but not enough to be noticeable in my experience.

Reactions: PhantomFandom
Electricity flows thru metal, as metal cools it becomes abit more dense, meaning the atoms get slightly closer to each other. Electricity is the flow of electrons from atom to atom (or movement of a hole as some would argue) and when the atoms are closer together the electricity has less space to jump from atom to atom, hence less resistance. Thats all temperature changes do to electrical devices. Some electronic components are designed to be greatly affected, a thermistor for example, which is whats inside your electronic home heating thermostat. Other components are hardly affected at all. In the case of the Phantom, cold really only affects the battery and nothing else.

yep.. i know what happens with batteries and cold.. but some pilots like me.. had expirienced drifts in cold enviroments.. with no negative affects to the birds and theis performance when the temp rose up.. it seems to be rare this phenomenon as this kind of "issue" affects only 10/1000 drones.. no matter if its a phantom.. a mavic.. or even a hand made.. wow..

im going to give a try with another drone and take some cool shots from the snow.. minus 2 in my place.. and out of manufacturers' suggested working temp limits..

ps. thank you for explaining me about electricity and cold enviroments..

My pleasure. Safe flying!! :)

Reactions: xrider
Cold air is more dense. Props don’t have to spin as fast to gain altitude. I wonder how that affects the battery? Does it have to work harder or not to spin the prop because of the more dense air?

Cold air is more dense. Props don’t have to spin as fast to gain altitude. I wonder how that affects the battery? Does it have to work harder or not to spin the prop because of the more dense air?

Its not about air density.. its about the battery itself.
The colder it is, the shorter the battery life will be due to the slowing down of the chemical activity in the battery.

Reactions: 3rdof5
So often the simple fact that Phantoms have a closed battery box and that heat is retained is ignored - means that flight time is NOT significantly reduced. Its a myth to say it is.

I fly in summer and winter ... temps range from +30 down to -25C here ... and I have flown often in -10C with virtually no flight time difference to be concerned about.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
So often the simple fact that Phantoms have a closed battery box and that heat is retained is ignored - means that flight time is NOT significantly reduced. Its a myth to say it is.

I fly in summer and winter ... temps range from +30 down to -25C here ... and I have flown often in -10C with virtually no flight time difference to be concerned about.
That makes a lot of sense.
I wonder what your thoughts are on the more dense air when it's cold. Prop planes can take off with less runway when it is cold. When it's hot props are less effective because lighter less dense air. How would that correlate to the Phantom?

That makes a lot of sense.
I wonder what your thoughts are on the more dense air when it's cold. Prop planes can take off with less runway when it is cold. When it's hot props are less effective because lighter less dense air. How would that correlate to the Phantom?

I don't really feel it would make significant difference. The RPM and size of our props are a lot different to that of a Cessna / DC3 etc.
I know I read about people living in very high areas - but even they fly without much trouble and similar flight times.

I do feel that DJI like many company's overstates its flight time capability. If we were to drag our batterys down to the absolute bottom limits - then we may see the flight times they advertise ... but in all fairness - winter and summer - I do not like pushing past 18mins ...

Nigel

Hey all, just did my first ever screen recording of a very cold winter test flight (minus 14c) and you can all see the telemetry data and flight time on my P3P. And no drift.

Last edited:
Reactions: WV. Rootman
OK, that wasn't the most exciting video I've watched this year. LOL
It was probably more fun for you then others. You look like a very fun type of person. Let me know if you every come down I-79 in northern WV. I'll buy you a cup of coffee at Tim Horton's. LOL

Reactions: 3rdof5
OK, that wasn't the most exciting video I've watched this year. LOL
It was probably more fun for you then others. You look like a very fun type of person. Let me know if you every come down I-79 in northern WV. I'll buy you a cup of coffee at Tim Horton's. LOL
Lol i shot that video for my clanmates (clash of clans) who were interested in my new hobby, but i also wanted to show a definitive video of cold weather flying and how the Phantom 3 can handle cold weather, which it does with no issue :)

Tried to fly in -3 F the other day, I think I had more trouble than the drone. The wind picked up so I nixed the flight, but the p3 4k seemed up to the task. It’s been fine in 5-10 degree weather. My hands give out before it does.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20