Windy Conditions

Reaction score
Being a new P3A owner I am paranoid about flying in breezy conditions as it seems the P3 really struggles against wind gusts.

About what wind speed do you feel comfortable with and how fast a breeze do you decide to pack it up and go home?

I don't fly when the wind is over 10 MPH on the ground.

My limit is 20mph. Anything lower, I'd never get to fly! It's usually windy here in Oklahoma. 10-20 are normal, everyday winds.

Reactions: Henry Kangas
25kts is max for me which is 29mph. Takeoff works fine but I don't attempt landing, in these conditions, instead I'll do a hand catch from the downwind position.

25kts is max for me which is 29mph. Takeoff works fine but I don't attempt landing, in these conditions, instead I'll do a hand catch from the downwind position.
Are you still getting smooth video recording in those conditions?

I flew yesterday.. surface wind was about 15 kts. ABSOLUTELY stable! Then took her to 1600 ft. Wind there was significant higher but still absolutely stable. The upwind flight at altitude showed motor mountings in forward flight, and landing gear in aft flight. It is amazing what the thing can manage! the only issue was landing. I had to catch all flights because as it set down it had too much tendency to tip over. Takeoff was always done with a quick jump to 5 feet or so to avoid tip-over.

Use auto takeoff as a new guy.. Its quick and comes to a hover at 5 foot. Nothing to be freaked out about.

Reactions: eagleout
I flew yesterday.. surface wind was about 15 kts. ABSOLUTELY stable! Then took her to 1600 ft. Wind there was significant higher but still absolutely stable. The upwind flight at altitude showed motor mountings in forward flight, and landing gear in aft flight. It is amazing what the thing can manage! the only issue was landing. I had to catch all flights because as it set down it had too much tendency to tip over. Takeoff was always done with a quick jump to 5 feet or so to avoid tip-over.

Use auto takeoff as a new guy.. Its quick and comes to a hover at 5 foot. Nothing to be freaked out about.

Your new and you took a quad to 1600'?

Reactions: Mike_in_Letcombe
Likewise, anything greater than 20mph from the ground and up. So far my P3A has been able to hold somewhat steady and my own comfort limit is nothing more than 50feet as I've noticed the swirling effect but also a little bit increase in battery.

Your new and you took a quad to 1600'?
Yes, Im fairly new.. that was its 15th flight. Only 9 have been documented.
Capture.PNG

I love how stable is P3 in the wind !! I found that more than 20km/h crosswind, create jello problems to the camera...but this may be just my P3 problem...

The P3P has a max speed of about 25 kts in no wind in any mode other than manual. So flying in 20 kt winds is not REALLY an issue. It can still handle the gusts, and the gimbal does great absorbing the added movement of the gusts. You can see in my logs Ive done better than 40 mph.. Absolutely smooth!

Yeah as Steve says, jello will go away if you use an ND filter with the shutter speed at twice the frame rate. Eg, if your frame rate is 30fps, then set your shutter speed at 1/60 sec. Jello will magically disappear :)

UAVforcast give no useful info for winds off the ground, which are NEVER the same as winds on the ground! Even at 100 feet you can see opposing winds, or 30 mph variance!

Yes, Im fairly new.. that was its 15th flight. Only 9 have been documented.
View attachment 23362

This type of flying is why the FAA will probable end up banning drones completely. A drone has no business being at 1600' AGL, the only thing at that height should be an airplane with a transponder.

I am a private pilot, I also have several drones,,,when I hear someone make a statement like "I am fairly new and was at 1600 feet " I realize it only takes a few hundred dollars, but no common sense, to buy a drone

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31