Wind

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to drones, I have a P4 and am just starting to get used to it.

I live in the north of Scotland so it's always windy at this time of year, (we do get the odd calm day) and this is when I have been using it.

I am wandering if anyone can tell me what is ok to fly in as I don't want to chance it.

Also any tips would be appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

It's really a matter of personal preference. I do not like to fly in winds over 15 MPH.

If you choose to fly in higher winds, keep in mind that the Phantom will have a harder time flying back to the home point when it's flying into the wind. If the wind is too strong, it might not be able to make it back.

Reactions: Darren Roach
On mine, if I yaw it 90 degrees quickly in high winds the horizon is tilted and I have to spin the tilt wheel which also means the video is pretty much shot too. Personally, I like to stay under 10MPH myself and I use one of those Dwyer floating ball (manual) wind gauges to check on the 10MPH side of it for gusts, or look at a flag on a pole nearby and not fly if it is more than 30-40 degrees up (Indicates ~7-10MPH).

What I do to guage the wind is I go up about 100 feet then go to atti mode, let go of the sticks, you will see the direction of the wind and see the speed in GO, a line will be drawn on the map. I will fly against the wind til 60% battery then turn back and I have pletty of power left to fly around once i'm back home to take power down to 20%. If the wind changes so doe's the game. If getting stuck in wind make sure your in s mode and drop as much altitude as safely possible, best speed in no wind for power vs distance is about 30mph. Have fun!

Reactions: t2adze
You should be able to fly on moderate wind, but make sure you have enough battery power to get back I almost lost my phantom because of this. If you should find yourself in a situation like that, lower altitude as much as possible so there will be less wind-it's the only thing that saved my drone

I live about 150 miles south of you and I'm frustrated as much as you are with the weather. I wouldn't fly it in strong winds, you'll just crash it and lose it. Our two days of summer will come sooooon.

Reactions: sboroblu
I had a near miss due to a sudden fast gust over the weekend. I'm going to get a few more hours under my belt before I fly anything over 5MPH again.

I have been to Scotland 3 times and I am feeling the need to travel again. It would be amazing to bring my P4P. I fell in love with your country.

Sent from my LGUS992 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have been flying my P4 in 40mph winds like a kite in atti mode lately, just remember always and always stay in P mode until you get the hang of it, 15mph wind is no sweat for the phantom in P mode with eyes on the bird. Have Fun

I've been out in 20mph a few times. The GPS held it steady and did a good job. If it looked dodgy I put it in sport mode to fly it back to me and it more than held its own then. Just be more careful with the battery in heavy wind to make sure it has enough juice to get back against the wind.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

One other thing to be careful of is pushing the battery too hard for too long continuously. It may have say 60% capacity remaining but if you have to flog it hard for a while to crawl your way back into strong wind the built in protection my try to reduce power to the motors to protect the battery then suddenly you start to slip backwards against the wind and have no choice but to land somewhere down wind.The harder you try to push it the worse it gets.

At least if your up wind when this happens you can drift back to your preferred landing spot.

Sent from my SM-G900I using PhantomPilots mobile app

You listen go phantom Paul, that's solid advice, when I play in the wind it's always right over my head, if you do try and venture into the wind, then point the nose into the wind and fly, it's always ez to come back with the tail wind. If your not sure about what direction the wind is blowing your Phantom, then go up above any obstacle and switch into atti mode, watch the bird drift, then go back into P mode and fly straight against the wind.

Sorry erised I didn't read all the post are I would have not duplicated your information, Sorry. But to all you out there, our P4 and like most all Flying things are built for the wind, even the spruce Goose! Hey theses are very highly tuned and very high performance Uav's. 5 ten 15 twenty, no problem if your a seasoned remote/Pilot. P4 will run 50mph against a 5mph wind in sport. There are different ways to cope with wind in your favor with this little white Tool

flown my phantom 4 in rather strong winds with gusts up to 60 km/h.

Two problems:

to keep its position the drone had to tilt considerably forward, so the blades were visible in the video.

gusts would overcome the gimbal power, tilting the camera sideways for 3 to 5 seconds in several instances.

Other than that no problem at all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src72