Will drone shut off while flying when I put throttle all the way down for a quick descent?

Also to clear up: on a P3, CSC is both sticks down and outward or down and inward. For P4 that was changed to use RTH button in combination with left stick.
Using CSC on P3 after landing can make it topple over. The motors do rev up a bit under conditions even when idle. I've personally noted this when testing the quad with no props after doing some work.
The main issue with CSC is the 3 second delay where as you move towards CSC, stick movement can be interpreted literally, especially if you aren't exact and simultaneous in your movements with both sticks

Reactions: Falcon900 and Loz
Nope, stick down and right simply rotates the drone as it descends it does not cut the motors which requires other commands.

I should have been clearer in what I meant; the recommended way to use that CSC on the ground to stop the motors, according to the manuals, is first left stick down, and then left stick to 5 o'clock and right stick to 7 o'clock. And, of course, if you wait too long between those steps then the motors will shut down just from left stick down.

Reactions: N017RW
I have done that and it crashed my drone from 60 ft up and broke the gimbal. Definitely a flaw[emoji106]

Far out 4 pages and I'm still bloody confused!! As a new'ish phantom pilot this is a good question and something that is now making me feel nervous!!

So is the answer yes or no ??

Far out 4 pages and I'm still bloody confused!! As a new'ish phantom pilot this is a good question and something that is now making me feel nervous!!

The answer is definitively no. The flight controller will only shut down the motors if the barometric sensors indicate no descent for 3 seconds with the left stick fully down. They will not shut down while it is in the air and still descending. It's hard to believe that this issue is still in question.

The only way to shut it down in the air is with one of the CSCs. On the P3s and older, that is left and right sticks down and in, or left and right sticks down and out (assuming one of the standard stick modes). On the P4 it was changed by firmware upgrade to left stick down and in plus the RTH button.

Please be more specific.
What exactly have you done that resulted in crashing your drone?

You can if full throttle stick down and full right yaw put your drone into a whirlybird spin. Easy to recover by simply not using 100% yaw or right stick when descending. It's not a flaw when the pilot uses commands to induce this type of flying.

Hey bbfpv...
Like anything on the web, half or more of it is BS.
Then you have language, culture, education, and other differences.

No confusion. See post # 2 for the answer. No need to read further other than entertainment.

Reactions: N017RW and sar104
Will drone shut off while flying when I put the throttle all the way down for a quick descent?

Let's say drone is up very high taking some pictures and I notice the battery is getting low and I wanted to bring it back quickly.

When I put throttle down for the drone to descent, could this accidentally shut the drone completely off in midair leading to a catastrophic crash or does the drone recognize that its still in the air and not shut off when you put the throttle all the way down like it does on the ground?

I have both the FC 40( Phantom 1 drone with camera) and the Phantom 3 standard.

Thanks.
I don't mean to sound rude at all. BUT READ the MANUAL... So many people crash these things because they won't read the manual. or even watch the tutorial videos by DJI, your question is covered in there as well. And the manual is not the little 4 page insert you get in the box it's the one you download from DJI. Again, I guess I'm writing this for people who are thinking about buying or just got a drone. The answer of course is NO it won't cut the motors off. But do you know how to cut them off in flight say it was going 30 mph diving at a group of kids on the beach? both sticks in and down at the same time. Do that and it will fall out of the sky. Yes I know holding down the left stick will shut the motor off on the ground, but when in the air it knows it's in the air and won't shut the motors off. Best of luck to you! Again did not mean to sound harsh trying to be constructive just heard so many people ask questions that are right in the manual and then after destroying their drone. I feel so bad for them.

They need to update those manuals. It doesn't mention the 3 second delay to CSC that was added a few firmware updates ago.

No, but after the one of last updates of the app a splash screen came up explaining the new emergency in-flight shut down command.

And the new motor shut down technique.

AD

Good question. I caught mine the other day while out on my boat. While in hand and hovering. I held in down to shut the motors off and they stopped. Copter was not on the ground. So guy above says no but from what I experienced while flying they will and do.. guess you could do what I did to test it.

If you catch it then it will think it has landed. Its not flying anymore if you hold it. That would be the same as landing it on the palm of your hand. Phantom WILL NOT shutdown if you hold the left stick down. You have to hold both sticks all of the way down and to the middle to shut the motors down and even then there is a delay of a couple seconds before it will shut the motors down.

Never happened to even my Phantom 2 vision + nor to my Ph3 4K or the Ph3 Prof. But I will take care of this now. Anyway I think is better to descent slowly and not with the throttle at full down position for more than 2 or 3 seconds. But if it happens that motors stops, cannot we restart them normally ?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj