Why Is the Transmitted Video to my iPad Sketchy, Green, and Lousy?

Yeah my mini 4 was great until 2 updates ago. Now it's choking again. Workaround: go into the feed settings. Change it to manual. Pick and uncrowded channel. The change the bitrate to like 6mbs. It should be ok.

Can someone elaborate on this ??

Search my posts. You’ll see screenshot instructions.

And I’ve given up. The problem has plagued the mini 4 and grounded me.

Found your screen shot instructions,
Thank you.
Can you take a minute and explain this bitrate thing ??

Think of it as the quantity of data being shoved into a pipe. The more data the better the picture quality. However, there is only so much data a device can handle before it has problems. In the case of the minis it’s having to struggle with so much data that it overloads the CPU which then generates too much heat. That heat and overloaded CPU causes all the screen problems some of us have experienced.

DJI has over the last 6 or so months been changing the demands of the tablet and causing these problems.

Dropping the bitrate manually has solved it for some but it shouldn’t be happening i the first place.

Understood,
so dropping the bitrate will do nothing but reduce the quality of what we see on the iPad ??

Yes. But it’s not that noticeable until you get to around 4Mbps. Then you start to see the image quality suffer. By the way this has no effect on the quality of pictures or video you may take. This bitrate only pertains to the live video feed.

I have the IPad Mini 3 same exact issues since it been updated. I might try getting new Samsung tablet and see how that does.

Nope. My iPad mini 4 is practically unusable.
same here mini4 unusable when update into ios11
As a sanity check, make sure your iPad WiFi is turned off when flying, or try flying the P4P on the 5.8Ghz band. The iPad, with Wifi turned ON, can hunt for an access point, pinging every WiFi channel on 2.4Ghz. This will interfere with the 2.4Ghz video downlink from the craft. This results in a broken up green screen image, regardless of the distance between the RC and craft. Usually the iPad WiFi searches only the 2.4Ghz band, so alternatively if you fly on the 5.8Ghz band with the P4P, this can alleviate this kind of interference too, even with iPad WiFi on..

Last edited:
I disagree John. It is off. Also how do you make the assumption that it’s actively hunting every channel on 2.4Ghz. For instance, my Wi-Fi here at the house is 5Ghz only. And the iPad works fine. I also never allow any of my iOS devices to look for open Wi-Fi. Only known saved APs.

The other thing as this problem goes away when I use an iPhone 7 Plus or iPhone X. It’s simple: the processors in the mini line cannot handle the amount of live feed data being shoved into the iPad. Reducing the feeds bitrate mostly solves the issue. That has zero to do with iPad’s Wi-Fi.

Your friends apparent workaround by turning off Wi-Fi on the iPad is anecdotal and I bet was a fluke, because...

Here’s the real story: a few of us here (maybe more) are all suffering the same issue. What changed. Wi-Fi? The iPad? No. DJIs notoriously buggy software. And case in point, lowering bitrate kinda solves it. But the worst part is that DJI is this black box of information and never admits, never explains. Never admits fault.

I’ll just say this because I’m in the middle of a huge battle with them and font have a resolution yet: after they replaced ALL my equipment, it failed out of the box with my iPad mini 4. But my iPhone worked. DJIs response was “then just use your iPhone then.”

There’s a problem. We’ve all seen it. And because if DJIs lack of transparency or support, we are all fighting each other over the (imagined) problem and the voodoo we’ve invented to combat the problem.

Last edited:
I disagree John. It is off. Also how do you make the assumption that it’s actively hunting every channel on 2.4Ghz.
This is from the evidence. When this happened last weekend, flying on 5.8 worked fine with the iPad Wifi on. But flying 2.4Ghz resulted in garbled video. However when we turned off the iPad WiFi, the video feed worked fine. With that evidence I concluded the iPad doesn't scan 5.8Ghz. This may be a wrong conclusion as the evidence points, as you point out, but there is no interference when flying 5.8Ghz with iPad Wifi on.

Last edited:
Because 2.4ghz is a really noisy environment. 5.8 is less used. And this really proves my point. We’re l debating what the problem is, the cause and the fix without any input from DJI. We’re all guessing. I’m sure that things did improve by switching to 5.8. Just considering how jammed 2.4 is, That would be better in most cases despite this problem we’re all experiencing.

And I’m sorry I come across as discounting your friends Experience. I meant no disrespect. I’m sure it did work. Im just offering another explanation.

The other thing as this problem goes away when I use an iPhone 7 Plus or iPhone X. It’s simple: the processors in the mini line cannot handle the amount of live feed data being shoved into the iPad. Reducing the feeds bitrate mostly solves the issue.

If you read my post, it starts off with "As a sanity check". I'm not saying it will solve everyone's problem. But the iPad Mini4 we used last weekend with iOS11 worked fine with GO4 flying a P4P. I personally don't believe there's a problem with Go4 or the iPad Mini4 not having enough performance. However we did have a problem with the iPad Mini4 when the WiFi was ON. I'm only sharing our experience. If you don't want to believe our findings, that's fine, you don't have to, but they are real.

Reactions: ravedog
It’s a shame that we can’t get answers from DJI because the problem is real and they deny its existence.

I’ll just say this because I’m in the middle of a huge battle with them and font have a resolution yet: after they replaced ALL my equipment, it failed out of the box with my iPad mini 4. But my iPhone worked.
I think your iPad Mini4 will work with iOS11 and the latest GO4. I've seen it work. Have you tried my sanity check?

Yep. I will try agAin next week. The fact that merely switching to iPhone and no other settings changed and it removes the problem tells me it’s a processor issue. I’m sure switching to 5Ghz or turning off Wi-Fi “woe” but they are workarounds for a bigger problem and that’s my point.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.