why is L stick called throttle

but for now simple answer is in the manual
"throttle" = "left stick" which controls up / down / left turn / right turn
Not true. Left stick Forward or Back Controls Up/Down
Left stick Right or Left controls rotation, not turn. If you do a left stick left, the aircraft with rotate around. And vice versa.

Sorry, by "turn" I was referring to rotate. Might have said yaw.

Sorry, by "turn" I was referring to rotate
Yes, that is correct. Lets try this for example.

You take off and release the left stick at lets say 15 feet up. The aircraft will sit and hover waiting.
Move the Left stick in either direction, right or left it will rotate around in that direction.

Move the Right Stick forward ( With the camera facing away from you) it will go away from you. Or,( If the camera is facing towards you) it will go towards you and vice versa.

Move the right stick left, it will move left, right it will move right ( If the camera is facing away from you) you have to remember that those commands are reversed depending on the orientation. Facing away or towards you.

You have to get used to the Front of the aircraft has red lights, The rear should be green and flashing with GPS lock. That's really how you know the orientation.

The lights are all but useless I trust my eyes and what I see on my screen
I agree but my point to that was something I had problems with at first. Red Lights are in the back in automobiles and it takes some adjustment to get used to that being the front......LOL

@lickitysplit11111
Its like driving in the UK for the first time.....what an ordeal that was....:D

Because the Left stick adjusts the power of the motors (up increases it, down decreases them). E.g. it adjusts throttle on the motors.

The right stick controls the pitch of the aircraft. As the aircraft pitches in any direction, let's say forward when you push the right stick up, it causes the propellers to pull it in that direction, in this case forward. That change in pitch doesn't actually adjust the power/throttle of the motors, however*

* Pedantic alert - it may result in them being adjusted, but not directly. When you direct the aircraft to pitch forward, the aircraft may also adjust the power of the motors to maintain altitude, speed based on variable winds, etc. But this is a secondary effect resulting from that change in pitch. :)
Are you saying that using the right stick doesnt command some of the motors to increase their rpm? Maybe I misunderstood you, but if that is what you are saying, its not entirely true. changing the pitch of the aircraft with the right stick does indeed change the rpm of some, but not all of the motors. On a copter style aircraft with fixed pitch propellers that is the only way it could create a change in aircraft pitch.

The RPM of ALL 4 motors are adjusted continuously when airborne by the MC, especially when commands are received.
It's the only way 4 outputs can control the 6DoF of a rigid body in 3 dimensional space.
It's somewhat complex and cannot be simply described by the movement(s) of two 2-axis control sticks.

Reactions: bstanton89
thank you

so flying forward at speed x in Mode 2
then move L stick forward
do I
1) go forward faster or
2) do I climb
3) or both?
You realize there is a simulator built-in to the DJI Go 4 app which you can practice on right?

Reactions: ChipperRay
The primary reason the L stick is probably referred to as throttle (as pointed out early in the thread) is that while you are flying a multirotor the mode two controller convention is followed. Left stick throttle for aeroplane, collective (throttle and main rotor blade pitch) for helicopter with the right stick being aileron and elevator.

Your probably best to familiarise yourself with what it does rather than to worry about what it's called. In the case of the phantom it's up to increase altitude and down to reduce.

Reactions: KongWerks
Are you saying that using the right stick doesnt command some of the motors to increase their rpm? Maybe I misunderstood you, but if that is what you are saying, its not entirely true. changing the pitch of the aircraft with the right stick does indeed change the rpm of some, but not all of the motors. On a copter style aircraft with fixed pitch propellers that is the only way it could create a change in aircraft pitch.

No, it does and and it does a lot as noted elsewhere in the thread. I was trying to balance KISS with a peek at there is more to it under the hood. He presented as a brand new user so it seemed a roughly appropriate leveled response. I supposed I should have left a marker that there was for more to it than that. :) Dunno, many of us have hundred if not thousands of hours of air time in various quads so the flight performance is second nature. Trying to take that and explain it to someone with no experience with them, well I think perhaps the best answers in this thread included "just go fly (carefully)" :)

Wow, I thought I had closed and summarized the thread at post 22, now we are up to 32 over 21 hours. But remains interesting (to me anyway).

I asked
If you move the sticks further and further from center, the speed of the activity increases. So why is the L stick referred to as the throttle? (in Mode 2).

Ah the term “throttle”, does it refer to power or altitude? Or both?

Quora has a helpful (to me) discussion of
What is a throttle on an airplane and why is it necessary?
https://www.quora.com/What-is-a-throttle-on-an-airplane-and-why-is-it-necessary

I think all is now clear.

Thank you.

Might be easier to refer to the "L" as meaning "Lift", either more or less.

Wow, I thought I had closed and summarized the thread at post 22, now we are up to 32 over 21 hours. But remains interesting (to me anyway).

I asked
If you move the sticks further and further from center, the speed of the activity increases. So why is the L stick referred to as the throttle? (in Mode 2).

Ah the term “throttle”, does it refer to power or altitude? Or both?

Quora has a helpful (to me) discussion of
What is a throttle on an airplane and why is it necessary?
https://www.quora.com/What-is-a-throttle-on-an-airplane-and-why-is-it-necessary

I think all is now clear.

Thank you.
What might be more helpful and to keep it simple is to realise that in common aviation parlance throttle is equated to "thrust lever". It does translate to the effect in our quads in the vertical dimension accurately.

newbie query

If you move the sticks further and further from center, the speed of the activity increases.

So why is the L stick referred to as the throttle? (in Mode 2)
Prior to RC helicopters and multirotor aircraft, the left stick in mode 2 was the throttle for fixed wing aircraft engines and motors. Left stick up and down when flying multirotor aircraft provides the same functionality as the collective/throttle stick in a helicopter.

Best way I learned how to use the sticks and what they do is I purchased Real Flight's Drone Flight Simulator even before I owned my drone. I had never previously flown RC aircraft and, of course, never a drone. Although the controller on the simulator is not exactly like the DJI contollers, it is close enough to get a feel how everything works. I still like to practice manuvers on the simulator before attempting them on the drone. Gives me a bit more confidence when I'm flying the real thing. Inccidently, the DJI controller is much easier to use than the simulators'.

If it was a plane and props faced forward, left throttle would make plane goes faster forward. Props face up, so when more throttle is applied, it goes up faster. KISS

Reactions: Capo

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl