why is L stick called throttle

Reaction score
newbie query

If you move the sticks further and further from center, the speed of the activity increases.

So why is the L stick referred to as the throttle? (in Mode 2)

Because the Left stick adjusts the power of the motors (up increases it, down decreases them). E.g. it adjusts throttle on the motors.

The right stick controls the pitch of the aircraft. As the aircraft pitches in any direction, let's say forward when you push the right stick up, it causes the propellers to pull it in that direction, in this case forward. That change in pitch doesn't actually adjust the power/throttle of the motors, however*

* Pedantic alert - it may result in them being adjusted, but not directly. When you direct the aircraft to pitch forward, the aircraft may also adjust the power of the motors to maintain altitude, speed based on variable winds, etc. But this is a secondary effect resulting from that change in pitch. :)

Reactions: upthedowns
If you were flying a once typical aircraft (pre-MultiRotors) in Mode 2... Left stick up/down only controlled throttle.

thank you

so flying forward at speed x in Mode 2
then move L stick forward
do I
1) go forward faster or
2) do I climb
3) or both?

Please RTM. Basic answer: Left stick = Altitude Up/Down
Left stick = Right/Left Rotates Aircraft

* Right Stick = Right/ Moves Aircraft to the Right
* Right Stick = Left/ Moves Aircraft to the Left

* Note: These are reversed if the aircraft is facing Towards you.
You will only climb or descend by using Up/Down on Left stick

thank you
am reading the manual and do not understand, and your answer does not answer the question which is

if flying forward at speed x and move L stick (called throttle) forward do I move forward at a faster speed? or
do I continue forward at the same speed but now also climb?

Reactions: Ing Zimmerman
Left stick forward will increase altitude, regardless of speed. But, also if you are flying at a high speed, which also pitches the aircraft forward it will tend to descend somewhat. In other words dont fly at high speed close to the ground.

Ok, L stick forward will increase altitude as per RTM but
since L stick is called the "throttle", will it simultaneously increase forward speed?

No, Right stick is forward speed.

You'll find with (at least) full forward right stick that throttle will increase forward speed.
Go try it ASAP :)

You'll find with (at least) full forward right stick that throttle will increase forward speed.
Agreed, but didn't want to confuse him with too many details. He's just now RTM. :p

I think I will go with Post#3. "Throttle" is an old term (pre-MultiRotors) and no longer simply means to speed up or slow down, rather it simply means L stick. Lotsa stuff in the current P4P+ manual is confusing. Like it refers to VS, VPS and VP and I think these are all the same thing.

Thank you.

Last edited:
I think I will go with Post#3. "Throttle" is an old term (pre-MultiRotors) and no longer simply means to speed up or slow down,
This term is still used today in conventional aircraft and automobiles as well. You seem to be getting very confused here. Just think of the L stick up and down like the accelerator, and the right stick Left/Right, like the steering wheel.
The right stick up/down, moves the aircraft forward and backwards. Wherever you have the throttle positioned will maintain that altitude until you move it, up to increase, down to decrease. In the note I mentioned earlier, the right stick movements will reverse if you turn the aircraft facing towards you. In forward or reverse motion the "throttle" is automatically adjusted to what the aircraft needs to proceed in the direction you are guiding it. But it does not increase altitude unless you move the left stick forward.

Keep in mind that the "Throttle" is still a very valid term we use in R/C aircraft. Believe it or not we still use Internal Combustion Engines and they require a Throttle to regulate/change engine RPM. So the term "Throttle" isn't some archaic term but still a valid one.

The confusion stems from the use of a Flight Controller (FC but used to be called our Brain LOL) that is in charge of ALL aspects of flight. You put the stick input to do what you want and the FC makes the needed changes within the aircraft to try and make them happen. The FC is almost like a Translator... sitting in the aircraft and waiting for you to tell it what you want to happen and in term it makes the changes to accomplish (within reason) your desires. The FC takes away "knowing how to fly" and replaces it with algorithms and fuzzy logic.

Push RIGHT stick forward the FC reduces power to front motors while also increases power to rear motors causing the aircraft to tilt forward and once in this tilt the FC applies the needed power to maintain forward flight. Push more and more power is applied to increase forward speed. Push LEFT stick up all motors are increased until MaX Alt is reached, battery is depleted or something else breaks within the system.

I think you now have enough info to just go in a open field and try and see what they do and take it from there. Practice lots and keep your craft in sight and don't fly too close to the ground.

If we give answers...let's give complete answers.
Under other circumstances I would, but in this case, I think you would agree that too much information that is not a prerequisite for a newbie who is just now reading the manual, would be a bit overboard. That was my point.

thank you
lotsa discussion generated by the manual using the term "throttle" five times as opposed to "left stick" multiple times

but for now simple answer is in the manual
"throttle" = "left stick" which controls up / down / left turn / right turn

and
for either stick, if you push more or less you generally get more or less

thanks again

Reactions: Scottie74

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member