Why is 4K important

You missed my point. My point has nothing to do with the veiwers. It has to do what you as the creator can afford. If you could afford to produce 4K video you would because there would be zero difference in post vs. 1080.

I wouldn't, because there's no point in doing so and in most cases, it's a liability when customers can't easily share it on social media or stream it on their websites. It also offers zero benefits and quite a few downsides. Plus, I already have a very powerful computer and the difference between editing 4K and editing 1080p is massive. Mostly it's the fact that 4K clips with effects have to be constantly pre-rendered to play back smoothly, whereas with 1080p I can do literally anything including speed it up 5000% in reverse and still get silk smooth, real-time playback with no pre-rendering. That's going to be the case no matter what hardware you have, just due to limitations with poor coding of editing software that doesn't take proper advantage of modern hardware.

But to capture and have forever, the best quality video that you can achieve, only makes sense to me. Even if the majority of viewers can't see it today, you will have recorded it for the future.

I wouldn't, because there's no point in doing so and in most cases, it's a liability when customers can't easily share it on social media or stream it on their websites. It also offers zero benefits and quite a few downsides. Plus, I already have a very powerful computer and the difference between editing 4K and editing 1080p is massive. Mostly it's the fact that 4K clips with effects have to be constantly pre-rendered to play back smoothly, whereas with 1080p I can do literally anything including speed it up 5000% in reverse and still get silk smooth, real-time playback with no pre-rendering. That's going to be the case no matter what hardware you have, just due to limitations with poor coding of editing software that doesn't take proper advantage of modern hardware.
Cmon man;).

Look, if you had a pc powerful enough to process 4K (you don’t and that’s why there’s a huge difference) as smoothly as you say 1080 is, you would. Let’s be honest here instead of trying to “be more knowledgeable than the other guy”. People in today’s world spend big money to process 4K. It’s sought after.... I feel your arguing just to hear an argument, or or are you playing devils advocate?

On my iMac, I can view 4K YT videos in 1440 and they look awesome. They look a lot better than my 1080 videos. I’m not sure why, but they do.

When you say there’s no point in doing so, then why is almost every professional you tuber uploading in 4K?

Besides your editing issues, what downfalls are you talking about? Try and leave your customers out of the equation, because you always give the customer what they want so that is irrelevant. Saying you don’t shoot 4K because your customer can’t handle it is hogwash. If that is the case (which I’m sure it is) then don’t shoot 4K for them. Don’t sit here and say, well the customer can’t handle the clips, so it must be a waste of time. Remember your customers are hiring you, they don’t have clue what’s going on...

I honestly feel your poking a stick when you say, “it offers zero benefits and quite a few downfalls”. It’s pretty clear here that we all agree 4K is a better product over 1080 right? Your saying you and your customers can’t process it, so it must be a “downfall”. It just doesn’t add up in my book.

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
Everyone complaining about editing 4K needs to learn how to use proxy’s when editing. I have never had kickback from a realtor that they could not use a 4K file I provided them. They upload to Facebook and YouTube primarily.
4K TVs were on sale at Walmart this past Black Friday. People with 4K TVs and computer monitors are going to be more and more the norm very fast I believe.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Since everything on this forum is debated and argued I'll throw in my two cents.
Drone I shoot everything @ 4k 24 fps.
Sony A7sii I shoot everything @ 4k 24 fps unless I'm shooting slow motion then I shoot 1080p 120 fps.

Even if you have a 4k tv, FiOS only sends a 720p broadcast signal.

Last edited:
So , my reference was talking about the near future . Apple TV just went with all movies being updated to 4K and it was a huge success for them So people are going to become use to that type of quality. Virtual Reality is on the rise and therefore again video quality is going to surge forward. Internet speed are doubling where as a few months ago I had 50 mb and now I have 100 mb with time warner and were being told its going to double again within a few years.

Apple has just come out with a new Codec in there Final Cut X Pro 10.3.4 that handles 4K footage better and faster as more people are wanting to be able to edit it 4K.

Just about everyone has a large screen television and so they are expecting quality when they watch it. One of the things that happened to me was that I was invited over a friends house to show him my drone and the video footage I took.

I was told my many to shoot in 1080 and so my opportunity to shine was dulled down by the 1080 p video that was playing on his projector on a 2o ft screen and I was so mad that I did not have the 4K footage the drone was capable of .

I realize that the 4K is not now for most of you. But it is coming sooner than you think it is and that is what my post was about.

So if you think you are going to capture something Epic just shoot in 4K and save it for a rainy day when 4K is easy to edit and work with and stream because you can never go back and yet the changes are coming soon..

4K is going to soon be the Norm, were not talking 5 years away were talking 1 to two years away and virtual reality will be the next step up and may be a few more years away so just be aware of it.

Because we shoot in the RAIN, SNOW , THUNDER STORMS with are the Phantom 4 Pro we have noticed that watching the 1080 p on a 30 inch screen is not the same amount of detail as the 4K . This is what got us to understand that those who told us to shoot in 1080 were not helping are cause to show the amount of rain, or snow coming down in the video, but now we understand and that is why i was attempting to answer the question about 4K as we had to see it for ourselves.

When we shot that Thunder Storm in the middle of the night at 3:am we shot the drone footage with 4K but than we dumped it into 1080 p mode for a Vimeo stream and thought it was ok but the rain did not show up that well and are efforts to show the rain were kind of lost.

So just by chance I played the 4K footage through the Samsung TV 80 inch curved and realized that all that detail that was missing was in the 4K footage and watching it on the large screen was like being there that night outside with a flash light beaming on the drone.

So there you have it folks. For those of us who fly our drones in soaking wet torrential rain storms at 3AM in the morning and own 80 inch curved TV's, 4K is an absolute MUST!!! :blush:

I am saving up to buy a Phantom. Lately I've been thinking why spend the money for a P3P when a P3S would probably do what I want. After reading this thread, I can see I would be behind the 8 ball. Maybe I should keep saving up for a P4P with 20 mp and 1" sensor and shoot in 4K and edit it to 1080.
You all do what works best for you is my advice. If your customers are happy with 1080 keep shooting it. But one day 4K will be requested and you won't be prepared.

Jack White the author of The Mystery of Making IT says "Proper Planning Prevents Pitiful Performance." Boy Scouts say Always Be Prepared.

I'm convinced that 4K is coming. I plan to be prepared.

Don
PS: what software do you use to edit your videos?

I am saving up to buy a Phantom. Lately I've been thinking why spend the money for a P3P when a P3S would probably do what I want. After reading this thread, I can see I would be behind the 8 ball. Maybe I should keep saving up for a P4P with 20 mp and 1" sensor and shoot in 4K and edit it to 1080.
You all do what works best for you is my advice. If your customers are happy with 1080 keep shooting it. But one day 4K will be requested and you won't be prepared.

Jack White the author of The Mystery of Making IT says "Proper Planning Prevents Pitiful Performance." Boy Scouts say Always Be Prepared.

Don

Fantastic that your thinking ahead of the game, let me know when you get the Phantom 4 Pro and will be glad to discount a Phantom Rain Wetsuit for you.

If you want to edit , it is best you use the Mac Computer with Final Cut X which now has a new codec making it easier to edit 4K footage and offer an incredible array of color grades and effects.

You can pick up Final Cut X on ebay for about $150 so you do not have to pay the full retail price on the app store.

You can also make payments to get the Phantom 4 Pro on many of the websites that offer it with not credit check. Anyway being prepared is going to make you a great drone flyer.
Phantomrain.org

Youtube seems to be full of 480 video.
...and folks shooting vertical video on their phones, and all other manners of heinous crimes against humanity.

There's a funny difference about what we want or say we want, and what we willingly put up with every day.

Those of you doing video for business will find increasing pressure to shoot and provide 4K. For cinematic use the benefits are clear. The funny thing about this is that the market is seeing some massive shifts, both from the "big screen" to the little (er, not so little anymore) screen, and also from TVs to mobile devices for content consumption. Those smaller devices are struggling to keep up with that resolution and data rate and not everyone has unlimited mobile data either. Heck, some PCs in my office start wheezing on 1080. Folks sitting the "recommended distance" from their flat panels aren't likely to see a huge difference but there definitely is some. Those who sit four feet from their 80" curved panels so they can feel like they're in the fourth row of the Ziegfeld will surely notice and honestly benefit from every pixel.

But none of that matters. 4K is still where the world is going, even if your cable/fiber providers are a bottleneck and the broadcasting stations and networks are feverishly trying to upgrade their infrastructure past 720p. 1080 will be "good enough" for many but 4K will be a big selling point.

Editing 4K directly is problematic, so even the big boys with major-league editing hardware do their work in lower-resolution proxies and check the 4K (or 8K or whatever) renders for quality when they're done with a piece. The biggest boys pay for render farms (or the use of render farms) to save time on that.

If you all you call yourself a professional and you shooting at 1080p because because you can't process 4K you are are a hack, regardless of the excuses you make. You don't need a crazy rig to edit 4K, you just have to understand a proper workflow as several members have previously stated.

If you all you call yourself a professional and you shooting at 1080p because because you can't process 4K you are are a hack, regardless of the excuses you make. You don't need a crazy rig to edit 4K, you just have to understand a proper workflow as several members have previously stated.
They only one using the word "professional" in this discussion has been you, just now.

Just sayin'... ;-)

Let's take a deep breath?

The definition of professional in the creative world says that you are being compensated for your work.

Many, many here are being compensated as professionals in this market and can’t produce a 4K video. Myself included.

Just because you have the latest and greatest and are capable, doesn’t make you a professional.

Don
Yup, and by the time 4K comes round, your P4 will be obsolete.

They only one using the word "professional" in this discussion has been you, just now.

Just sayin'... ;-)

Let's take a deep breath?
Ok, the second post in this thread mentions clients. Who has clients other than professionals and your ?

Ok, the second post in this thread mentions clients. Who has clients other than professionals and your ?

I gave a potential client links to my videos as a reference for my work. She said, "Two of them are out of focus."

They weren't. The problem was that her Internet was so slow that it would only run on Youtube at 480.

That's the kind of clients I have.

SB

I remember the day when some folks with medium format cameras would say that the folks swinging around 35mm SLRs were not professional.

Some things never change.

By the time it comes around? It’s here. It has been. Are you aware that you can purchase 8k TV’s?
Oh, good, I can spend all day watching my favorite content in 8K!

Oh, wait, no, I can't...

I love how in technology the tail constantly wags the dog. Been watching it happen for over three decades.

I gave a potential client links to my videos as a reference for my work. She said, "Two of them are out of focus."

They weren't. The problem was that her Internet was so slow that it would only run on Youtube at 480.

That's the kind of clients I have.
And there's that. LOL.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nwbailey