Why does the DJI Phantom 3 Compass Hardware Fail?

I think we are using VLoS if you can actually see your drone. LoS is non-obstructed path from RC to AC. In ideal conditions I can probably spot a Phantom 100m away. And I'm not confirming or denying that I work for government. :)

Mostly stock (did it that time), sometimes I use basic Windsurfers. I did quite a few 10k+ flights with stock antennas before even some 15k+ ones with Windsurfers equipped. None of them was in such ideal conditions as in this location. Area is almost rural and I was flying off shore with my position over the house in front of me. Started with altitude of 5 meters above starting position (cca. 15m ASL) and went up to 80 meters ASL. I always make sure that antennas are parallel with Phantom "legs". Signal dropouts were on all altitudes.

I don't think I ever used auto takeoff or landing (not counting few critical battery autoland heart-stoppers). I take off manually, hoover for 30-60 sec and check if everything works. For landing I use hand catch.
Maybe I'll have some time tomorrow to test the P3P in my home location where I have done most of the flights and can compare date from then and now.

I checked over your flight data again and found no auto launch or landing. After reading your responses above, you seem to be a seasoned pilot.

Are you experiencing these signal drops each you fly now?

At this point I would suggest that you try and log what is taking place each time you receive a signal drop(distance and direction of flight, when signal drops yaw the aircraft and see if the signal restores, altitude of each signal drop). Pay attention to the device you are using to run the GO app as well.

Btw, since you are close to home when you launch, are you setup so that your device is connect to the house router for wifi?

And here is a big question... Is your device setup for the 32 Channel Mod?

I agree that it's hard to say for sure that it's caused by the FW, but following these pages for some time now I have the impression that some of the issues reported here come in "batches and waves", which could indicate that indeed maybe the FW is the culprit to some of these problems. After all these ACs are so dependant on FW for operation of all parameters and systems that it sure can affect the sensitive parts and sensors. Hard to be sure though, just my opinion. I'm still flying really old FW in all my P3s and controllers and tablets, fortunately not a single HW issue in any of them, not a single compass or ESC or battery warning and I really take these things to some limits at times. But then I believe most P3s out there are flying OK too.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj