DJI Biz Model: Fail ...

Reaction score
My FIRST and perhaps LAST encounter with DJI repair and support:

I guess I now join the legions of poo-pooers, but DJI products, to date, are generally unmatched. Their support and business model leave some room for consideration however:

Here's the problem and the solution:

PROB: A recent flight showed that my forward and reverse right stick inputs were not working (I WAS able to save the craft using other inputs). My P3P controller (gl300C) suddenly would not calibrate through the GO app. Resetting the controller did not work either. It was easy to observe that the calibration of the right stick was failing as forward and reverse movements were not registering on the calibration interface in the app. Clearly, there was a hardware failure on my controller. It has never been dropped, opened, modified and had less than 5 charges on it. It was OUT of warranty by a few months.

I decided to send it to California for repair (DJI). I received a repair quote for 90% of a new controller (approximately $250). The itemization of the quote included controller shell parts, tablet mounting arm, motherboard, all of which were in pristine condition when sent (with the exception of the motherboard which could be the problem source admittedly). If the unit was damaged in shipping, noone said a word to me about that. It was packaged carefully I might add.

After explaining that I own multiple DJI products (all Phantoms), am a licensed sUAS pilot, a sUAS instructor at the school I teach at, and had a P.O. on my desk for a SPARK for school, I was told after several debates, that they would discount my repair bill by some "unknown" amount. This discount amounted to $37 dollars.

SOLUTION: My repair totaled 203.13 USD, which I paid, for what was clearly a manufacturing defect. This part did not wear out in 14 months and was never subjected to any physical activity or environments that would cause it to fail (other than, of course, some very light usage). DJI services initially stated that they do NOT repair controllers though their warranty language says "manufacturing defects or warranty repairs". ???? Of course, I still have not received the unit nor know if it has been shipped, so the story is not quite over yet.

I have been a champion for DJI products and technology for more than 3 years now. I have never needed any tech support or repair services in that time largely due to my own skill sets and the quality of DJI products. In this situation, there was clearly a hard defect, and I afforded DJI every opportunity to show that it stands behind its products, its employees and the future of consumer and commercial sUAV systems with the DJI brand. I ignored the abundant online blabber about the failed customer service model and felt confident that my experience in this situation would be a satisfying one. Clearly, I erred in judgement and DJI for whatever reason failed to take this opportunity.

DJI may be 203.13 USD richer, but I will think long and hard about that P.O. on my desk and just how I refresh the small fleet of sUAVs I use for instruction going forward. Perhaps this is a cultural attribute - I'm not sure but our 2 countries are well established in global economic practices.

To make things worse, I promised myself that I would not waste more time on this unfortunate situation and I just did. My error this time. I simply do not have the time at present to skirmish with DJI's repair service and support team any longer. I paid the price and very unfairly I believe. This is NOT a good business model for DJI or my fledgling UAV business.

Did you consider buying a used controller on eBay? You can get 'em for around $100.

Sorry for your troubles...

Reactions: Avocet
At least you weren't the Jeremy guy with an Inspire 2 that he sent to them 5 times now in their own forum. DJI Quality is an oxymoron. Have to wonder how they fix something, and it comes back with generations old firmware too as if just waiting for you to update it and break it.

Good luck with the replaced controller, and hope it lasts for more than a year too. I think they discontinued the GL300C RC already too.

I just got an email from DJI saying my controller needs to be replaced it less that six months old, I never had any problems with it until this last firmware update,now they say it has to be replaced how in heck is that possible someone please tell me

At least you weren't the Jeremy guy with an Inspire 2 that he sent to them 5 times now in their own forum. DJI Quality is an oxymoron. Have to wonder how they fix something, and it comes back with generations old firmware too as if just waiting for you to update it and break it.

Good luck with the replaced controller, and hope it lasts for more than a year too. I think they discontinued the GL300C RC already too.

I thought the GL300C was also packaged with Phantom 4 models. Am I mistaken?

It was out of warranty. Things break, especially drones. Usually as a result of some type of operator error or ignorance, but none ever admits to that.
How can you bash DJI for not fixing it for free?

There was nothing wrong with the controller when I sent it to them, still under warranty and can’t get anyone to answer my question on why I need a new 599.00 new controller, would you not question them them hit-n-run? Or do you have lots of money and do what ever they tell you to do

I thought the GL300C was also packaged with Phantom 4 models. Am I mistaken?

There' some talk about the P4 Standard RC (GL300C) no longer available in the DJI store, but to use a P4+ RC controller in the DJI forums here: Is P4P controller compatible with P4?
Don't know what happens if the GL300C should go bad since I also use Apple iPads and apps for them that are not compatible with the P4+ Android unit in my understanding of that thread and their moderator's response. Someone may know better than I about the matter, but doesn't sound like the P4 Standard RC is around anymore nor is the Standard being sold any longer either.

Fwiw, my local Best Buy only has the P4 Advanced model and took down the P4 Standard long ago as well as the P4 Pro display both. They still have a Karma display up, but we know that GoPro ship sailed away too.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl