why does my gimble do this

Reaction score
so after a repair DJI sent me back a refurbished unit. doesn't bother me but i sent it on a litchi mission and the gimble went mental. it is ok on a normal flight. just wondered if anyone has any input.

Only does it during a Litchi waypoint mission or Litchi in general? How does it function in Go?

Reactions: Neon Euc
To be honest its fine normally flying. And usually on a litchi mission this doesn't happen. I have an idea what may have caused it but want to see if anyone has an idea that matches up to mine so I can then round it down a bit more

To be honest its fine normally flying. And usually on a litchi mission this doesn't happen. I have an idea what may have caused it but want to see if anyone has an idea that matches up to mine so I can then round it down a bit more
Never had that situation so, guess I can't help on that one. ;) Best of luck to you.

No worries. Hope I find out what is causing it. I will do the same route and see what the results are

Reactions: stones
Did you have a POI set? Possibly a glitch in the POI positioning algorithm?

Intersesting. Hmmmm..... Try a short mission, lets say with 4 waypoints. Set a seperate POI for each. And make sure you set each one to "Focus". See if you have the same anomoly. Just a thought to test.

I have had a similar occurrence on at least one occasion, but in my case the gimbal appeared to 'jump' only once or twice, and it was OK after that. I was using Litchi, but I was flying manually, not on a programmed mission. I have flown a number of times since (I use Litchi almost exclusively now) with no further problem. On a much earlier flight I was testing a 3D-printed lens hood while using Go, and the gimbal twitched a few times during flight. At that time I figured the hood weight was too much for the hardware and I haven't tried to use it since.

@Neon Euc
Was this really windy?
I have something similar when I was making really fast turns with Litchi, and the landing gear was coming into view as yours did.

Rod

It was windy.. About 15 mph and that was the main idea I thought it may be. However at home I turned on the drone and the gimble flicked to the right and stayed there for a few seconds. So I held up the drone and moved it around with my hand. And the gimble was so slow at catching up. So I used the two options to recalibrate the gimble and even though I haven't flown it yet, I have moved it in my hand and see a massive improvement. The weather is really stormy so will be a few days till I fly

This was a Mission to a friends house and back, it had some small trimmers all the way but only the extreme ones when it was making that turn.

I have sense calibrated all, except the compass and the remote. Its better so far but it still has a rattle noise in the gimbal very intermittent.
I will look closer at the arm that moves the camera horizontally tonight.

Rod

This was a Mission to a friends house and back, it had some small trimmers all the way but only the extreme ones when it was making that turn.

I have sense calibrated all, except the compass and the remote. Its better so far but it still has a rattle noise in the gimbal very intermittent.
I will look closer at the arm that moves the camera horizontally tonight.

Rod
Spot on to what I got. Just out of curiosity do you have that flight still logged onto airdata/healthy drones? As I would be curious to see what your wind speed was. Seems like you may have been going the same height as me. Roughly around 90 meters

Haven't been using HD since they started charging.
I'm sure this is the mission for that flight.
Mission Hub - Litchi
I had been setting the gimbal straight down, so I can see where it is pointed at WP#6 in these missions.
This mission it was not pointed straight down and you can tell it was windy.

I ran the same or close to the same mission later in the day, winds were a lot calmer. That mission was faced straight down, since I loose signal I have no gimbal settings in the missions. There was some small twitching, that was on the 7/12/2017.

I will have to look at my notes when I did the re calibrates, but it did improve. The Phantom had clipped a tree before this showed up, found it on the ground. Had done calibrations before a flew again, but my notes doesn't show I did the gimbal that time. I was probably to focused on it flying correctly and spaced on the gimbal. I may have to pull the gimbal off and take a good look.

Took a flight last night, I can't make it buzz before I take off, but when its back from the mission before I shut it off I can make it buzz, but I really have to rock the Phantom to do it.

Rod

Thanks rod. Just to let you know I also don't pay for healthy drones but 95% of it is still free. I did look at your litchi hub but the way points are lower then mine. But I do agree that is could mostly be the wind. I really do think that's the cause. I will have to try again and fly that same route on a calmer day too

My main gimbal arm, the horizontal movement is bent.
IMG_0263.JPG
I think the picture makes it look worse then the eye, but I know in the future, just a quick glance it would be obvious.
Hum, how to bend it back?
You know its got to be hard on the motor and bearing.

Rod

Well, I worked on it yesterday probably about hour slowly bending it back just with my hands. It almost looks perfect. I ran one flight camera straight down. It seems to shake more but it seems to me its like its loose viewing the video. I done the IMU and Gimbal calibration before I flew it. I was just ready to fly one with camera at a 60 degree angle. It seemed to be a lot more windy, a buddy showed up and said yeah its really windy out there. So instead of pressing start mission, I pressed power off. :)

Rod

Well, I worked on it yesterday probably about hour slowly bending it back just with my hands. It almost looks perfect. I ran one flight camera straight down. It seems to shake more but it seems to me its like its loose viewing the video. I done the IMU and Gimbal calibration before I flew it. I was just ready to fly one with camera at a 60 degree angle. It seemed to be a lot more windy, a buddy showed up and said yeah its really windy out there. So instead of pressing start mission, I pressed power off. :)

Rod
Hope that your on your way to getting it nailed now to get it working [emoji4] decided to fly mine again using the same mission in the same wind and it was almost perfect. No gimble shake at all as I reset the camera and calibrated the gimble twice. But the horizon was really tilted in some shots so I may need to invest time in that. The wind was similar as last time too. Only 1MPH slower then the last mission with gimble shake. I even done another mission after to see if it was just pot luck but thankfully no gimble shake on that either [emoji4]

Reactions: RodPad
Thanks, did you see the horizon adjustment?

So it was July 2nd, when it clipped the tree.

I made 4 8min videos after that and I'm not seeing the problem. July 12th, I was at my dads, running a mission for construction next to house, 3 year project of 6 houses. I just go up and take some stills, It was really windy at 125'. The gusts must have been in the 40's the ground was about 20. Blew completely of coarse.
Litchi ended the mission, and went to Atti for a little bit. :eek:
Boy, that was fun. :rolleyes:

That's when the gimbal rattle showed up, it was buzzing until I shut it off.
That has been the problem since then, when I saw your post I looked closer at my video, it definitely did seem it happens in strong wind.

I will be back.

Rod

Thanks, did you see the horizon adjustment?

So it was July 2nd, when it clipped the tree.

I made 4 8min videos after that and I'm not seeing the problem. July 12th, I was at my dads, running a mission for construction next to house, 3 year project of 6 houses. I just go up and take some stills, It was really windy at 125'. The gusts must have been in the 40's the ground was about 20. Blew completely of coarse.
Litchi ended the mission, and went to Atti for a little bit. :eek:
Boy, that was fun. :rolleyes:

That's when the gimbal rattle showed up, it was buzzing until I shut it off.
That has been the problem since then, when I saw your post I looked closer at my video, it definitely did seem it happens in strong wind.

I will be back.

Rod
I really think that could be the case rod. The strong wind may have even pushed the camera/gimble past its usual tilting point. Give it a few calibrations and launch again as that helped sought out the shaky gimble for me personally

Reactions: RodPad

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj