Why did my Phantom crash

Reaction score
So i was flying my phantom 2 as I usually do in the soccer fields and my phantom just lost control and took a dive straight into the ground. Not sure what happened and why it happend so I'm looking for some possible reasons from members of the forum.

To give you some background I've been flying for about 5 months or so and I have a phantom 2, H3-3D and lightbridge for FPV. I did not calibrate my compass before flight but had done the processes about a month prior. I had about 8 satellites before taking off so I had GPS connection. I've update both phantom and light bridge to the latest firmware. This was the first flight with the GoPro4 installed in the gimbal with a coin to balance as many have suggested. Some time after the crash I did notice another person flying a phantom 1 in another near soccer field. I did not see this person when I took of so I think they came after I stared flying. The link to the video is below. I had to order a new shell and I'm not sure I can fix the gamble yet. it got pretty bent up. Comments are greatly appreciated. BTW I'm 42 but you will see my kids in the video as they picked up the phantom. So no its was not a 12 year old flying.. ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bh0Zgj8ho-A

Were the Phantom motors still running when it crashed? Did you try starting the Phantom again after the crash to see if it ran? Was the battery new or old?

The battery flew out during the crash so the motors where off. I did not try to restart it after the crash. The battery is actually brand new just came in the mail. I made sure that the battery also updated to latest firmware.

Pop the top and check out the internal connections and component for failure. Possible motor ESC failure?

So I looked under the hood, everything looks fine. I see no lose connections or areas of concern. I put the battery in and it started without any issues. All motors turned.

Another thought is that maybe the metal of the soccer goal affected the compass? I was maybe 2 to 3 feet above the goal when the phantom took its dive?

I did not calibrate my compass before flight but had done the processes about a month prior. I had about 8 satellites before taking off so I had GPS connection. I've update both phantom and light bridge to the latest firmware. This was the first flight with the GoPro4 installed in the gimbal with a coin to balance as many have suggested.

According to the experiences of others on this forum, you probably should have recalibrated your compass AFTER the updates, and probably also after installing the gimbal. It is not a bad idea to recalibrate now and then even without upgrades, although as I've pointed out in other threads, magnetic declination doesn't change significantly over a couple hundred miles in the western US nor significantly over time. See on the isogonic chart how far apart the isogons (lines of equal magnetism) are in the western US. You haven't said where you're located, but if it is the midwest US, you can't go very far east/west before you cross an isogon, meaning you'd better recalibrate.

http://maps.ngdc.noaa.gov/viewers/historical_declination/

Another thought is that maybe the metal of the soccer goal affected the compass? I was maybe 2 to 3 feet above the goal when the phantom took its dive?

I doubt the soccer goal had anything to do with your crash. And you obviously are sufficiently experienced that your crash was probably not due to Vortex Ring State.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortex_ring_state

I live in Tampa Florida where the crash happened. The last time I flew and calibrated was in Melbourne florida. This might of been my mistake as I do not think I calibrate when I returned back home. Thanks Great Pumpkin for the information an links.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl