Which Portable Bluetooth GPS Receiver?

I'm wanting to get a Bluetooth receiver for my iPad Air 2 without cellular. I've narrowed it down to 2 choices. Do you have any experience with either? Others? Recommendations?

Dual Electronics XGPS150A Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver for Portable Devices

Bad Elf 2200 GPS Pro

Thanks!
I have extensive experience with both brands for golf over the last several years connected to my wifi only iPads and now my iPhone 6+ using GolfLogix, and now with the iPad Air 2 for the DJI GO app. Both are good units, but I greatly prefer the Bad Elf because of its digital readout so you don't need an app to see its accuracy or its data, including elevation above sea level, and its greater portability and ergonomics for our use with Follow Me (the Dual unit is a giant hockey puck). Just hang the Bad Elf on a lanyard around your neck, or put it in your pocket. It instantly pairs via BT with the Air2 and any other devices at the same time. Long battery life, too. The more pricey Bad Elf 2300 adds a barometer, doubles the battery life, and adds GLONASS, costs about $100 more than the 2200, and is slightly more accurate, but is probably overkill. Bad Elf has excellent available customer service in native English, while Dual customer service requires understanding broken English with a strong Chinese accent. Bad Elf stepped up when Apple broke all external BT GPS units with an iOS update, by offering the 2300, which did still work, at half price to 2200 owners, when Apple took 4 months to restore functionality. I liked that proactive solution! Bottom line--they both will work, but I'd get the Bad Elf. :cool: Private pilots also agree. All of them use the Bad Elf units in the cockpit with their wifi only iPad Air 2's.

Last edited:
Reactions: snerd
If you're going to spend that kind of money, then it would be worthwhile looking at the Dual XGPS160 too. It can also connect to GLONASS satellites -- unlike the other two GPS receivers you mentioned above.

Last edited:
Reactions: snerd
If you're going to spend that kind of money, then it would be worthwhile looking at the Dual XGPS160 too. It can also connect to GLONASS satellites -- unlike the other two GPS receivers you mentioned above.
True, but it is still a giant hockey puck, and the Bad Elf 2300 offers GLONASS with a digital readout, 25 hour battery life, and a barometer for a bit more, and still fits inside the palm of your hand...:cool:

Thanks, guys. Another one to look at. GLONASS WOULD SURE BE NICE.
Yes, GLONASS gives your BT GPS for your (Tablet/Follow Me device) the same GPS reception as the Phantom, which might be necessary in some places.:cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic