Newb and wondering about recommended tablet setup

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've been lurking for a month or so but finally got my p3a 2 days ago. Still haven't taken her up yet but I was wondering about the ideal setup for the tablet. I have a nexus 10 and once I connect it to the remote do I put it into airplane mode? And if I do I won't have GPS on the tablet anymore. Will that effect flying in anyway besides the follow me mode? If so I guess I could somehow use my 6s plus as a hotspot or maybe buy one of these Amazon.com: Dual Electronics XGPS150A Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver for Portable Devices: GPS & Navigation

thanks in advance!

Hi Chris - I use an 8" hipstreet that is connected purely to provide a screen to view what's going on, the phantom follows the RC and not the tablet so you don't need GPS on your tablet, not sure about the aeroplane mode.

Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong?

the phantom follows the RC and not the tablet
It's the opposite. The Phantom RC does not have its own GPS and does not know where it is unless your mobile device has GPS. If your mobile device does not have GPS, you can't use features such as Follow Me and you can't manually change your home point. Those and any other features that require GPS at the RC would not be available. If those features are important to you, you must have a GPS enabled mobile device, or an external GPS unit. If those features are not important to you, GPS on your mobile device is not as important since it is not a requirement to fly the Phantom. The Phantom has GPS so it knows where it is to set its initial home point and knows where it is while in flight.

Last edited:
thanks, seems that the nexus 10 might have a independent gps that might work without wifi. I'm getting conflicting info online so i guess i'll find out when i take her out maybe sometime this week. Crossing my fingers it works!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.