Which Magic Power App to use???

OK OK, you guys win. I guess the people that design and build the dang drone and the agency that approves the drone for use in the United States are all wrong.

Placebo_Effect.jpg

They certainly aren't going to tell or encourage users about ways to modify equipment. And increases in range that are measurable are probably not a result of the placebo effect. A lot of people here have used MagicPower. But god forbid you would try something yourself even though you literally have nothing to lose.

Discussion about dbm in CE/FCC indeed still be a long debate, to all friends in the US I have an idea may could help show information on the real condition:

1. Run Magic App
2. Turn on RC&AC and set the wifi connection to RC
3. Click "Revert back to stock" (only if already mod)
4. Restart RC&AC and set the wifi connection to RC
5. On the Magic App click STEP 1, wait for succesfull process and close the app.
6. Restart RC and AC
7. Run DJI GO and wait for Home Point Lock (maybe you need to be in an open area)
8. Open the Telnet, connect to 192.168.1.1 and type the following command:
iw reg get
iwinfo
(screenshot the result)
9. Open the Telnet, connect to 192.168.1.2 and type the following command:
iwinfo
(screenshot the result)

In the results will listed the dbm value for FCC before the mod.

Note:
- The above process only enable the telnet. You can re-apply the mod after that
- I can't do all process because on the CE area and sorry for my English

Discussion about dbm in CE/FCC indeed still be a long debate, to all friends in the US I have an idea may could help show information on the real condition:

1. Run Magic App
5. On the Magic App click STEP 1, wait for succesfull process and close the app.
6. Restart RC and AC
7. Run DJI GO and wait for Home Point Lock (maybe you need to be in an open area)
iw reg get
iwinfo
(screenshot the result)
iwinfo
(screenshot the result)

Note:

Does anyone know how to telnet?

Reactions: KennethMcNutt
THANK YOU for your input Papa Tita!!!
I didn't get to do the Magic Power yet and glad I didn't because I have decided to do some field testing of Signal Strength...
I KNOW that DISTANCE is what's matters to all of us but I'm just curious enough that I'm going to re-install the OEM WiFi first then go back to Alfa, using the Analyzer App at multiple distances (and off the the sides)... THEN do the Magic out in the field for actual back to back Signal Strength tests... Not sure when I'll get to do this but here's some pictures just to show that it will work AND that the radio doesn't use the same channel every time it's turned on (for anyone that didn't already know that) :)
WiFi-Test-1.jpg
WiFi-Test-3.jpg
WiFi-Test-2.jpg

If distance is the most important thing, I would have bought a Phantom 3 Advanced or Pro. Not so much hassle. Many people use the same amount or more money moding.
But if moding is the goal, that's another thing.
Depends what the hobby is for you.
My only mod here in Europe is to apply the Magic Power and my video feed is better than before.
I have done the telnet thing here in CE area and the numbers are truly different. 17 dBm stock vs whatever you choose in the mod.
I guess some in FCC area can to the test PapaTita suggests. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: KennethMcNutt

1. Run Magic App
6. Restart RC and AC
iw reg get
iwinfo
(screenshot the result)
iwinfo
(screenshot the result)

Note:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I will do it again ? I do not think I Home locked for you Sir??

Reactions: PapaTita

1. Run Magic App
6. Restart RC and AC
iw reg get
iwinfo
(screenshot the result)
iwinfo
(screenshot the result)

Note:

Reactions: PapaTita
The next question is why there is improvement after mod Magic even in FCC area? ... That's Magic #LOL

It's just like a car/truck. As soon a someone puts a Flowmaster muffler on their car/truck, it sounds like it has 400 horsepower, therefore it DOES have 400 horsepower and feels sooooooo much faster. Lol.

Last edited:
If distance is the most important thing, I would have bought a Phantom 3 Advanced or Pro. Not so much hassle. Many people use the same amount or more money moding.
My only mod here in Europe is to apply the Magic Power and my video feed is better than before.
I have done the telnet thing here in CE area and the numbers are truly different. 17 dBm stock vs whatever you choose in the mod.

Sorry, I guess I should have added that Cost was important to ME also ;)
I bought a New P3S because that was all I could afford...
I have a total of $466 US (including shipping and taxes) in my P3S...
This is after buying a DJI P4 Tablet Mount = $34 and doing the Alfa Antenna Mod = $32...
PLEASE tell me where I could have bought a A or P (New) for $466???

I will add that I wish I would have waited then bought the DBS for $109 rather than the Alfa for $32 because the Alfa didn't extend my Range as far as I hoped/thought it would (I only want to fly about 6,000Ft and haven't made it to 4,000Ft yet) but again, I'm doing "what I can afford" and even if I did go with DBS instead I would still have only $509 in my P3...

Last edited:
Now I'm gonna have to revert and do more testing to see if my distance gains were a coincidence or if it really does help

The only way to be 100% thorough would be to take a laptop with you to the field. Run the bird as far as you can get. Return to home. Apply MagicPower, 27dbm, then run teh bird along the same route, or as close as you could reasonably get.

I say this because there have been times where I only get 2000 feet out in front of my house.... then 2 days later I'll get 4000, going the exact same way. Weather, time of day and how many neighbors are on wifi at the moment play a big role.

Modding Is JOY :) $100 bucks not much.. I go 15,000ft and more.. :)

Attachments

• 20161029_200510.jpg
    20161029_200510.jpg
    1,007.8 KB · Views: 315
Reactions: chicho22

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic