Which drone to use scouting for hunting.

The distances you mentioned would be fine for a p3s, especially in a marsh further away from interference. But 50-100 yards up makes it hard to see stuff. Here's some of our cows from 200ft
0a570df0b8035a9ffbc8a9029257e08d.jpg

I'm sure you could see ducks on a computer later, but in real time it would be very difficult.

Sent from my iPod touch using PhantomPilots mobile app

Ducks on our lake hate the quad! I made first pass at 200' and they exploded like a copy of quail.

Now white tails are a little different. So far they don't seem to concerned. I am going to try to do counts this summer for doe permits. I think it will actually work better than the mule or walking. We also eat what we harvest and by taking a few out of the herd there is more for other deer to eat. A lot of our area is in coastal and that is not forage the deer will use.

Reactions: huntjock
Go P3A. The p3s controller is bad. The A uses the same rc as the pro. And the pros da bomb. Either one is a superb scouting tool and if used effectively, you'll see alot more than just ducks.

They aren't exactly quiet. It won't scare the ducks away ? I have a p3p, I don't have experience with the other models to know if it would be good for your application.

I just entered into a contract with Neary Aerial. Seems pretty well priced
I couldn't believe my eyes when I flew over ducks, three times, it doesn't spook them. Idk why tho

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I.plan on using mine next deer hunting season. It may lr may not work well but it's worth a shot. Hopefully I can get a video of our next kill ;).

I.plan on using mine next deer hunting season. It may lr may not work well but it's worth a shot. Hopefully I can get a video of our next kill ;).
It is already being done in NM. Hunters use their Phantom's to go places and scout for game. Pretty fast way to check the local area to see if they need to scale a hill or go into a ravine. Saves time and effort.

Jpatz18 if your gonna frequent this site you gotta learn to ignore comments from most responders and only pay attention to the ones answering the question you asked!
In my experience mallards(in water) dont mind the buzzing noise at 100'. Geese in the field dont let you get 200 yrds before they fly. Turkeys head for the trees as soon as they hear it(which you know how good they hear) and deer is 50/50

As far as the standard, it uses wifi which sucks for scouting! Lightbridge is your only chance of seeing ducks in a live view. As mentioned earlier you can do a flyover with the standard and check for activity later on the computer just fine. For those of us used to using trail cams this process ain't that big of a setback

I have heard of these companies offering to take your $$$ but I have never seen a claim come through to replacement etc. Basically there a scam. And famous for saying yea that's covered when buying the insurance and even more famous for the phrase "that's NOT covered"... When you go to use it. They will deny coverage based on semantics and not fact either. Gl.

My GF is getting herself the p3s. I want to use it to scout while duck hunting. I would only use if to go about 50-100 yards up in the air and about 150-300yards away (distance). Would it be worth it to talk her up trying to sale her on the p3a? She only wants it to get nice photos nothing special. Would it work for both of us? Is the advanced worth the extra 300.00? I dont see us wanting it for anything further.

Also has anyone one had experience with,New Leaf PLUS - 3 Year Drones Service Plan with Accidental Damage Coverage (for Drops & Spills).??

If you want to see if there are presumably ducks on a lake, it will work. At distances less than 100 feet, the birds tend to get flighty - except Mallards, and I think you can drop rocks on Mallards without bothering them.

Any closer and most ducks will take off. Can you ID the duck using 100 pixels of information? Perhaps. If you know your birds you can identify them by behavior and general characteristics. But you won't get very close.

In 2015, 45 states considered 168 bills related to drones. Twenty states–Arkansas, California, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia and West Virginia–passed 26 pieces of legislation. Five other states–Alaska, Georgia, New Mexico, Pennsylvania and Rhode Island–adopted resolutions related to drones. most states moving to a total ban on any type of hunting with a drone

Short answer, which others have said. It's not going to be useful for spotting birds in real time. Even on an iPad air, I can't see a bird until I'm basically right on top of it.

You might be able to pick them out if you take photos and then review the full resolution versions later.

I use my P3S and P3A to fly over my land frequently. I look at a lot of things. I am not "hunting" with it. I look at my ponds, plots, thick areas, creeks, etc. I take a lot of pictures and videos. I go back and download the data onto an iPad and I can zoom in pretty well to see what is happening on the ground at the time I took the pictures. I have seen all types of wildlife and other things. It works well for me and I enjoy seeing my property and how it changes over time and seeing the different types of wildlife.

A lot of guys I know in Australia use them for hunting Drop Bears that generally hide in trees before attacking so the Phantom is ideal. I might try mine to bag a couple of Koalas which we are now allowed to eat.

Sure would be cool to get a gun attachment for the drone and then do it all the same time!! Certainly I am surprised thats not available in the states given the lack of gun control?? Seems to be more regulations in the states for drones then there are for guns so maybe a smart inventor might be able to take advantage of that fact and then as long as its a gun more so then a drone you may be fine flying it for protection lol... I am sure am happy to live in Canada!!

Reactions: Meta4
P3a just for more sat and ligthbridge

Most of the state laws in the US are aimed at Law Enforcement using drones for surveillance.

In 2015, 45 states considered 168 bills related to drones. Twenty states–Arkansas, California, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia and West Virginia–passed 26 pieces of legislation. Five other states–Alaska, Georgia, New Mexico, Pennsylvania and Rhode Island–adopted resolutions related to drones. most states moving to a total ban on any type of hunting with a drone
Very few states have strict laws prohibiting the use of drones for scouting. I have seen at least one states that strictly prohibits using UAV's to interfere with hunts and hunters though .. LOL

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj