Which drone to use scouting for hunting.

I was playing of course but one has to see the humour iin what appears to be stiff/strict laws regarding drones but certainly one can gain access to a weapon so easily in the USA!! Seems odd to me in both regards!! I must add for my USA brothers I love the USA !!!!

Reactions: dirtybum
In my experience (did some work for a land conservancy that allowed duck hunting in a wetlands area) that quads are much too noisy and almost all birds will fly off (way too noisy!) unless you are at about 150-200 feet. I do not condone sport hunting, but in this case the conservancy has preserved a few thousand acres in return for a very modest and short season of duck hunting... this is the only reason I did the work. But to answer your question, I'm not sure quads in general are a good resource for scouting.
Here is how close you can get forward to 2:40 shot with my old pv2 but you get the idea
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: huntjock
My GF is getting herself the p3s. I want to use it to scout while duck hunting. I would only use if to go about 50-100 yards up in the air and about 150-300yards away (distance). Would it be worth it to talk her up trying to sale her on the p3a? She only wants it to get nice photos nothing special. Would it work for both of us? Is the advanced worth the extra 300.00? I dont see us wanting it for anything further.

Also has anyone one had experience with,New Leaf PLUS - 3 Year Drones Service Plan with Accidental Damage Coverage (for Drops & Spills).??
you can hunt or you can fly drones. I bet doing both would just end up in a mess.

S

Reactions: Silvaplana
as far as my research goes there is no laws in florida that restricts drones/airplanes while hunting.

Here's the federal regs that may covers this:

Illegal hunting methods. You cannot hunt waterfowl:

• With a trap, snare, net, rifle, pistol, swivel gun, shotgun larger than 10 gauge, punt gun, battery gun, machine gun, fish hook, poison, drug, explosive, or stupefying substance.
  • From a sink box or any other low floating device that conceals you beneath the surface of the water.
  • From a motorboat or sailboat, unless you shut the motor off or furl the sail and the vessel is no longer in motion.
  • Using live birds as decoys.
  • While possessing any shot other than approved nontoxic shot.
  • From or by means, aid, or use of any motor vehicle, motor-driven land conveyance, or aircraft (if you are a paraplegic or are missing one or both legs, you may hunt from a stationary car or other stationary motor-driven land vehicle or conveyance).
  • Using recorded or electrically amplified bird calls or sounds, or imitations of these calls and sounds.
  • With a shotgun that can hold more than three shells, unless you plug it with a one-piece filler that cannot be removed without disassembling the gun.
Now.... I realize your intent–scouting deer. But if an officer contacts you while you're hunting ducks, and flying a drone, he may interpret what you are doing is attempting to haze birds over your position. Your lady friend is not going to be a happy camper if her Phantom was last seen with an evidence tag on it.

I've been flying over open sagebrush lately with a foot of snow, and by the time I can see elk or mule deer on the screen, they are up and acting nervous. I'm guessing about a hundred yards for deer and a hundred and fifty for elk is too close. Obviously they are much more sightable than in the habitat that I assume you hunt.

S

Here's the federal regs that may covers this:

Illegal hunting methods. You cannot hunt waterfowl:

• With a trap, snare, net, rifle, pistol, swivel gun, shotgun larger than 10 gauge, punt gun, battery gun, machine gun, fish hook, poison, drug, explosive, or stupefying substance.

S

Where do I buy the stupefying substance?

Where do I buy the stupefying substance?

I doubt Cabelas carries it. You might try the parking lot of a seedy bar at about 2 a.m. "Hey dude, I'm looking to score some stupefying substances. Ya got any?"

It is a bit humorous. I'm not so sure these devices are going to be good for scouting. I was thinking a flock of black turkeys in a green field would stick out, but I think they'd really high-tail it.

S

I'd be more concerned about the ducks attacking.:rolleyes:

Depends on the cost for the service plan. May be an option since crashing the camera drone can get expensive in a hurry...especially if you have to pay someone else to do the work.

You might want to look seriously at the P3A. The price is fantastic right now and the radio will transmit considerably further and higher. You also have more camera controls on the RC so you don't have to use the DJI GO app to control everything...

Thanks for all the replys,I only plan on using it for scouting I do not plan on hunting and using the drone at the same time only to find spots with ducks are at so I can find good spot.

She is stuck on the standard so i will have to settle for that one.

Come on dude. I'm an avid hunter and using a drone for fun. If you can't scout your hunting area the old fashioned way you shouldn't be hunting.

Howard the Duck would fight back LOL

Who's to say someone's not just flying the area to be flying? My brother has about 250 acres of property that's in a wetland reserve program and that's where I love to spend my time flying. It has several duck ponds on it. I couldn't see a ducks or geese if I wanted to on the FPV from several hundred feet up. I don't try...I'd hate to get one tangled in a prop.

Here's a picture of a deer while flying about 250 feet up, the shadow gives it away. I never knew it was there till I was going through the pictures later at home. It's in several pictures and never spooked the whole time I was flying in the area

Attachments

• DJI00737.JPG
    DJI00737.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 420
  • DJI_0015 (2).JPG
    DJI_0015 (2).JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 379
I think if you had your waders on and a shot gun with you, you shouldnt have a drone with you duck hunting.

I see the deer thats awesome, But whats really cool is you can see the trails the deers are taking. So you know there are deer there.

I have no problem with anyone using it to scout. I'm thinking you might have a problem if you used it the actual day of your hunt.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I doubt it would be a problem here in Australia, pigs, goats, most deer and a bunch of other things are feral and considered a pest/vermin. They poison them even. Farmers would like them all gone.
For me, if I can spot something over the brow of a hill then I could get out and stalk, rather than drive up and scare them away, or just walk around all day on the offchance of spotting something.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic