Which drone for preteen starter

Reaction score
So I have three, not really mine, kids I do for. Long story. The age range is 8-12. So there birthdays are in June. I know their neighbors have a drone. I don't know what.

Anyway there are large numbers of used drones in my area. I was thinking of getting one for their birthday. The question is which model? I don't want over kill but I would like something nice. Me? I fly the p4p+.

What do you think? What did you do for your kids?

The Spark is a wonderful little drone for the kids to start with. Just make sure you give them lots of lesson time before letting them go off on their own with it.

Since you have a P4P+ you will be very familiar with operating the Spark and the Go4 app. Easy as could be.

The other (more expensive) option would be a Mavic Pro with 2 controllers. You can use the primary controller and the child you are teaching can use the secondary controller. Great way to teach someone how to fly without them being able to get into too much trouble.

Also use beginner mode when they first start out.

Reactions: Catnlion
I wouldn't get them anything that DJI sells, except the tello. Boys at that age don't understand the value of things. Judgement is also lacking maturity. I let my 11 year old grandsons fly my P4 with me close at their side. They are calm mature boys, that made my heart rate go up. I was so happy to hear the low battery alarm go off and bring it down.
Toy drones are hard to fly, but I would keep it cheap. It's your call. LOL

Toy drones are hard to fly, but I would keep it cheap.
And it teaches ATTI mode for a Phantom or any other DJI aircraft. A Syma or similar is a great starter for that. If you can fly the Syma proficiently, you can fly in ATTI with ease....

And it teaches ATTI mode for a Phantom or any other DJI aircraft. A Syma or similar is a great starter for that. If you can fly the Syma proficiently, you can fly in ATTI with ease....
I agree with the above for starting out and as they're so cheap (as are the spares as well), you can probably afford to buy a drone for each of them but give them all out on the first-arriving birthday, explaining to the other 2 that their presents are early . If one of kids eventually loses interest in flying, then the others can fly it.

If they still maintain an ongoing interest later you can maybe add to their fleet with one more better one for them to share.

(PS: Invest in a cheap soldering kit as well) :)

Reactions: WV. Rootman
So I have three, not really mine, kids I do for. Long story. The age range is 8-12. So there birthdays are in June. I know their neighbors have a drone. I don't know what.
I wouldn't recommend a DJI drone unless their parents are aware and willing to kick in some funds when accessories and repairs are needed. For kids that age, one of these drones would likely be a better fit.

I have been truly blessed when it comes to children, I have none. :openmouth:
That said, I live in a subdivision with a lot of children and this last Christmas several of them received drones, a few toy drones a Spark and a Mavic Air. All were destroyed before New Year, the saddest one was the Air, the 13 year old boy left it in the driveway and mom backed over it, the day after Christmas.
Based on what I’ve seen I can’t see spending much money until they prove themselves.

Kind of why I asked the question. Yes they are good kids with good parents and live our in the country I don't want to drop $1000 plus on something really nice in case I'm wrong, but a couple hundred wouldn't bother me because of their parents.

Kind of why I asked the question. Yes they are good kids with good parents and live our in the country I don't want to drop $1000 plus on something really nice in case I'm wrong, but a couple hundred wouldn't bother me because of their parents.
I think the point was Expressed that whatever you get them isn't going to last long. Don't throw your money in the wind.

And if you invest in a cheap soldering kit and spares as I suggested above, you might start a simultaneous interest in building and repairing drones, rather than any drone(s) bought just being thrown into a cupboard as soon as one motor burns out.

I recommend the Ryze Tello. It is a rather good drone to start learning. It is targeted torwards young teens. I went to a drone meeting yesterday and decided to take the Tello as well. I flew it at 98' in 18mph winds and it was as stable as any GPS drone.
59121040_138009007320890_5610280272823058432_o.jpg

Anyway there are large numbers of used drones in my area. I was thinking of getting one for their birthday. The question is which model? I don't want over kill but I would like something nice. Me? I fly the p4p+.

Definitely Tello, pretty good drone and low price point. Also harder to get in trouble with such a small drone.

Ryze Tech, Tello, Battery, Propeller, Remote Controller, Prop Guard, Color Cover

Slightly behind the Tello there is the Parrot Mambo which is easy to fly and can have attachments added like a cannon and grabber.

[QUOTE = "Catnlion, post: 1439687, miembro: 117813"]
Así que tengo tres, no realmente míos, niños para los que hago. Larga historia. El rango de edad es 8-12. Así que hay cumpleaños en junio. Sé que sus vecinos tienen un drone. No se que

De todos modos, hay un gran número de drones usados en mi área. Estaba pensando en conseguir uno para su cumpleaños. La pregunta es qué modelo? No quiero sobre matar, pero me gustaría algo bueno. ¿Yo? Yo vuelo el p4p +.

¿Qué piensas? ¿Qué hiciste por tus hijos?
[/CITAR]
I recommend the SIMA X22 or X23 is stable and you can fly safely indoors to practice I am using it with my nephews and are safe and supportive I recommend it in addition to economic

[QUOTE = "Catnlion, post: 1439687, miembro: 117813"]
Así que tengo tres, no realmente míos, niños para los que hago. Larga historia. El rango de edad es 8-12. Así que hay cumpleaños en junio. Sé que sus vecinos tienen un drone. No se que

De todos modos, hay un gran número de drones usados en mi área. Estaba pensando en conseguir uno para su cumpleaños. La pregunta es qué modelo? No quiero sobre matar, pero me gustaría algo bueno. ¿Yo? Yo vuelo el p4p +.

¿Qué piensas? ¿Qué hiciste por tus hijos?
[/CITAR]
I recommend the SIMA X22 or X23 is stable and you can fly safely indoors to practice I am using it with my nephews and are safe and supportive I recommend it in addition to economic
Do you get your forums in Spanish or did you translate it for kicks?

Tello. It use the same flight controls as the DJI drones.

Tello FTW! It flys great. DJI software/firmware. Almost indestructible. And if they are into programming there's a software set to do that to. I love mine just to stay in practise indoors in the New England winter..

Hey, Catnlion, I think that nowadays drone is a perfect present for someone, especially for kids. My younger brother also has drone, and he is in love with it. In my opinion, there is no need to buy them too expensive one, because they are quite small and can quickly break it. I can recommend you to buy them PARROT MAMBO FPV. It's a small quadrocopter, and its control range is 100 ft / 30 m with a smartphone, perfect for kids. And the price is also reasonable.

When its only light airs and nice evening ... having reviewed various Eachine and other brands ... I go out there with my cheapo Eachine E58 ... nicknamed the baby Mavic.

Its remarkably stable without GPS ... does very good flips even close to the ground. Loads of spare parts on Banggood ... cheap and cheerful.

Another possibility of course - the WLToys Helicopters ... I have the 911 and ts a blast indoors and out. The 6ch collective version just blows you away ! Again spares are Banggood ...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic