Which controller/transmitter upgrade?

I added a Zenmuse first then lost connection with my Phantom twice in succession (fortunately return to home kicked in) so I decided I needed to make sure I didn't lose connection again so upgraded as my £500 had risen considerably so wanted to protect my investment as much as I could.

MKheng said:
I added a Zenmuse first then lost connection with my Phantom twice in succession (fortunately return to home kicked in) so I decided I needed to make sure I didn't lose connection again so upgraded as my £500 had risen considerably so wanted to protect my investment as much as I could.

Yep that is my thinking on it too. I'm confused on the models on that site. The link you sent was the P-CB8J/L-D which seems to be a mode 2 (all good) then there is the one above it which is the P-CB8J/L ?? What is the difference between the L and the L-D I wonder?

DeweyAXD said:
MKheng said:

Yep that is my thinking on it too. I'm confused on the models on that site. The link you sent was the P-CB8J/L-D which seems to be a mode 2 (all good) then there is the one above it which is the P-CB8J/L ?? What is the difference between the L and the L-D I wonder?

Not sure the difference. I bought the one in the link. I think the difference may be it has two receivers (although you only use the one). I figured if you get something extra for free you may as well have it as it may come in useful one day. Just been out this morning and done c1hr flying with 12 batteries and feel so much more confident now that I have the Futaba.

Yeah I've bought from BYOD before and had good service. Would probably have got from them but Hobbystore seem to be good on price and have a store local(ish) to me that I'm yet to visit so i think I'll give them a go. Pretty much sold on the TX over a gimbal now... just seems like good sense in the long run (and at least a TX can be used should it flyaway forever :lol: ).

Well I thought I'd add a final note to this thread having just flown with my shiny new T8J for the first time!

Firstly thanks to MKheng for the suggestion of Hobbystores. Like you I ordered the P-CB8J/L-D after talking to the Reading store.
Strangley the website listing doesn't say it but the D does stand for deal and it did indeed arrive with 2 recievers. So £219.99 including delivery for this:

- T8J Transmitter
- R2008SB - 8 Channel RX with Sbus
- R2006GS - 6 Channel RX (no Sbus)
- Charger
- Battery pack

The extra RX is a real bonus in my book as I am keen on getting a PNP plane for FPV too and this RX retails between £30-£40!! Bargain.

Like so many, HPIGuy's yourtube video sorted me perfectly with installation. RX fitted easily (using a craft knife to de-glue the Sbus from the old teeney tiny RX board. Binding the RX to the TX was not shown in the video but is literally a push of a button and some 'No More Nails' tape to hold it down.

Just taken it out for a few flights and really pleased with it. First flight just close range to make sure all the settings were working... no problems. Next I strapped the GTU10 (just in case), dual batteried up and sent it flying past my usual 500 meter safe point. Safe to say it worked a treat.
The other thing that I was pleased about is its overall size. It fits in my case with almost no modifications to the foam (cut out for the stock TX).

Negatives... Battery life!! - I'll post a new thread on this in a moment though and it will be resolveable i'm sure.

All in all a great TX so far and i'm already knee deep into settings. The timer feature served me very well as the flight was also a dual batt test flight (another post on that coming too!)

Glad your liking the t8 :D

Last night I realised it has two built in timers ! I use the two very top toggles ,one to start timer an other to reset .so I set first timer to beep on 6mins an 8mins on the second timer. Very handy touch .

Will be setting up once the zenmuse arrives so I can use head tracking via fat shark goggles :D

Yeah the timers are really handy. Sounds like you did the same as me with the rear switches. I have SWF to start both timers. One counts down 8mins, the other counts upward indefinatley (very handy for dual battery life testing). I reset using the sprung SWH (rear right).

Just posted about batt life - seems to be crappy on mine but probably just the pack.

Nwales said:
Glad your liking the t8 :D

Last night I realised it has two built in timers ! I use the two very top toggles ,one to start timer an other to reset .so I set first timer to beep on 6mins an 8mins on the second timer. Very handy touch .

Will be setting up once the zenmuse arrives so I can use head tracking via fat shark goggles :D

everyone has their own timer preference.
I set one to count down, and the 2nd timer to count up as well.
tho I have them both reset on just the single A switch. (when testing settings, it was annoying having the timers run, so having them on switch A allows me to effectively turn them off when the switch is down, but I might switch them over to the sprung switch H, as I've pretty much run out of other switches to use for other fun stuff.

don't get your hopes up using the head tracker, I tried it out once, but found it glitchy, and requires the use of the H "trainer" lever, kind of useless and not very smooth. I gave up and use the manual tilt lever.

My T8J just arrived today and I'm trying to come up to speed on how to set it up. That HPi's videos seem to cover setup of the basic functions really well, but I don't seem to be able to find anything on whether or not I can use the central knob labeled in the manual as "flap trim control" to control tilt on my Zenmuse. Since the knob is obviously a variable control, it looks awfully tempting for that purpose. Can anyone point me to further information on that?

Thanks!

GeneL said:
My T8J just arrived today and I'm trying to come up to speed on how to set it up. That HPi's videos seem to cover setup of the basic functions really well, but I don't seem to be able to find anything on whether or not I can use the central knob labeled in the manual as "flap trim control" to control tilt on my Zenmuse. Since the knob is obviously a variable control, it looks awfully tempting for that purpose. Can anyone point me to further information on that?

Thanks!

GeneL, if you go onto the 3/3 menu and select AUX-CHAN and then change CH5 to VR the rotary VR knob will then adjust your Zenmuse up and down.

I have also set Timer 1 to 5 mins so I know when I should start heading home and Timer 2 to 2 mins as a landing time. (Once the 1st timer goes off I start the second)

Again in menu 3/3 select Timer.
Under TMR1 - T = 5.00, MODE = DN-STP, ON SW = SWA DOWN (Switch A then is your start and stop) RS SW = SWH DOWN (Switch H becomes the reset switch)

Under TMR2 - T = 2.00, MODE = DN-STP, ON SW = SWF DOWN (Switch F starts and stops this timer), RS SW = SWF UP

Hope this helps
Michael

GeneL said:

Thanks!

GeneL, if you go onto the 3/3 menu and select AUX-CHAN and then change CH5 to VR the rotary VR knob will then adjust your Zenmuse up and down.

I have also set Timer 1 to 5 mins so I know when I should start heading home and Timer 2 to 2 mins as a landing time. (Once the 1st timer goes off I start the second)

Under TMR1 - T = 5.00, MODE = DN-STP, ON SW = SWA DOWN (Switch A then is your start and stop) RS SW = SWH DOWN (Switch H becomes the reset switch)

Under TMR2 - T = 2.00, MODE = DN-STP, ON SW = SWF DOWN (Switch F starts and stops this timer), RS SW = SWF UP

Hope this helps
Michael

MKHeng - many thanks! I haven't had time to try it yet, but your instructions look like they're right on the money. I wish some of these companies would hire you to write their manuals. Anyway, I suspect that you've saved me a bunch of time and frustration. I'm really pumped about getting my new Futaba going -just the automatic timing function on the display is worth a lot to me. I don't know why I didn't do this 150 flights ago. Happy flying to ya!

MKheng said:
GeneL said:

Thanks!

Hope this helps
Michael

Why don't you set timer One to 5 minutes, timer Two to 7 minutes and start them at the same time with one flick of the switch? Then you don't have to think about messing with the Tx inflight....

marcus_canada Such a sensible idea! I think I was thinking too much about it. I'll make he change later.

MKheng said:

Hope this helps
Michael

Michael, one more question if you don't mind. Are you supposed to use the Naza Assistant, or th Zenmuse Assistant to set up the tilt adjustment? What I thinking of is getting the gimbal tilt from full up to full downtomatchtherange onth knob, stop to stop. I never have been clear on this from the DJI docs.

Thanks again,

Gene

Finally worked out how to slow the yaw down on the T8J so you get better videos as the camera pans slower.

I have set my T8J TX up to do this using switch B.

Go to D/R EXPO in menu 1/3 then go across to CH 4, Change SW to SWB (or whatever switch you want), flick down switch B, now set the left and right EXP to minus 80 and save.

When switch B is up the controls are normal but when switch B is down the yaw is greatly slowed down for the first half of the stick movement.

MKheng said:
Finally worked out how to slow the yaw down on the T8J so you get better videos as the camera pans slower.

I have set my T8J TX up to do this using switch B.

Go to D/R EXPO in menu 1/3 then go across to CH 4, Change SW to SWB (or whatever switch you want), flick down switch B, now set the left and right EXP to minus 80 and save.

When switch B is up the controls are normal but when switch B is down the yaw is greatly slowed down for the first half of the stick movement.

You are a STAR!! I was literally about to go blind and start looking it up in the manual to do this but having it on a switchable option is even more than i even figured possible. Charging batteries now! :D

Do I want the airplane version of the T8J, or the heli version?

The airplane version has a ratcheted throttle and the heli version does not. Does this mean that the heli version has a spring loaded throttle that centers?

The Airplane version comes with the centering spring. I chose the Heli version, but used the software to configure it for airplane mode for my DJI Phantom Quadcopter.

-Todd

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20