Which controller/transmitter upgrade?

Reaction score
I'm window shopping for a replacement controller. There's a lot of mention of the Futaba 8xxx in this forum that has positive things to say. I happen to be in a local RC shop last weekend and they were pushing the Spektrum 8xxx. So, without knowing anything about the Futaba, here are some of the things that intrigued me about the Spektrum.

Pros:
* Spring centering on throttle.
* Trimming of the four joy stick outputs on the fly (electronic centering?)
* Switches that match those on the Phantom's transmitter with the same amount of toggle positions allowing you to program it to mimic the Phantom.
* A dial to control channel 7 for gimbal tilt control.
* Ability to download pre-programmed configurations to an SD card which just plugs into the controller.
* Ability to turn down the gain on the joy sticks, use normal gain, or use exponential gain, all selectable via one of the toggles (this is really what made me consider the high $$)

Cons:
* Need to buy and install a receiver into the body of the Phantom.
* Too many switches that I'll never use.
* High $$$

Questions:
* Will this also improve the range?
* Any reason to choose one brand over the other?
* Assuming the Futaba also requires a new Rx, does it come with it, or is that a separate item?
* Any other features that made you spring for one of these?

I may be corrected but I think the Futuba has a single cable and if any portion of the control goes out, they all go out.
Other than that both of your options are very high end radios and will fit your needs.

Both range and quality of signal will improve 100 percent. Can't go wrong with either.

Both will require a RX.

E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have just finished setting my new futaba t8 tonight, thanks too vids on youtube made it easy.

just hope i did it right :lol: checked it all twice an hooked up too assist an calibrated an all seems ok. will find out tomorrow i i have done it right :eek: :)

Futaba vs Spektrum in the RC world is much like Nikon vs Canon in the camera world.
There are loads of people who will tell you that Futaba is better than Spektrum and loads of people that will tell you that Spektrum is better than Futaba.

Both are great and you will be very happy with either system. I happen to like Spektrum and so have a DX8 which I use with my Phantom and my F550.

Thanks for the replies, that helps.
Just curious, what was it that prompted you to shell out that much money for a controller?

The ability to have multiple profiles for multiple models. Lots of programmable switches. Telemetry.
Many reasons.

Hi Guys...

Just ordered a Futaba 8JA 2.4 ghz S/FHSS w/R2008SB

Did I order the right Tx for the Phantom? And does a receiver usually come with the Tx or do I need to order?

Thanx

Slugger

Mine came with both tx an rx , would of thought it says on the site you got it from what's included .

I found vids on YouTube by ThatHPI Guy , for installing an setting up so was quite easy .

I thought it would say what was included, but bought through Amazon, from rc boyz.
I checked out the vids you were talking about and it does look semi easy, just hope I can find enough room to mount the receiver........

I understand that a transmitter needs a transmitter. Newbie question.....why does it need a receiver? Does the receiver in the Phantom need to be replaced?

Generally speaking, we replace the Phantom's radio for a couple of reasons.
1. Phantom tx/rx uses PPM technology.(pulse pulse modulation) nice for manufacturers, because it's cheap, and you can put
it on a small pc board. Unfortunately, it is highly susceptible to multipath, and rfi/emi interference, quite often unrecoverable. (Flying above your head with this radio is not advisable. )

2. Increased range, and reliability Both Futaba, and Spektrum have reputations for quality and reliability.

3. Additional features. The ability to program the switches to suit your particular likes and dislikes. such as starting
and resetting a built in timer, so you know how long you've been flying. (program to start when throttle lever is moved
past 10 percent, and reset with a momentary switch)

I'm not sure about the Spektrum radio system, but my Futaba T8J came with a receiver, which was fairly small, and easy
to mount, but best of all, has 2 antennas, for reception diversity. And the TX also has 2 antennas built in.

The programmable radios, are capable of multiple models. For instance, my Futaba T8J-A is capable of 20 models
in its memory. I don't need to get a new radio for each airplane or heli. You can buy the bind and fly models,
without a radio, and just provide a receiver, which you will program to fly the new model.

I gather that the transmitters in the upgrade controllers are not compatible with the Phantom's receiver in the drone, and that you have to open up the shell and insert a small compatible receiver module.

Well after installing my futaba t8 last night an double checked everything , been out a tested it even though its a bit windy .

All working great thank god :lol: only thing I'm going to change is put a spring kit on the throttle so it returns to the middle .

Had couple near crash landings getting used to the throttle not being spring loaded .

Just waiting on my tarot gimbal now :D

Nwales said:
Well after installing my futaba t8 last night an double checked everything , been out a tested it even though its a bit windy .

All working great thank god :lol: only thing I'm going to change is put a spring kit on the throttle so it returns to the middle .

Had couple near crash landings getting used to the throttle not being spring loaded .

Afterwhich I think we need to see a fly around your Evo ;)

I am following the crowd with a T8J. If nothing else, the more that buy it and use it on a Phantom, the more help and support is available when things need tweaking! I also want it because I intend to get an FPV glider at some point.
Problem is... there seem to be none availalbe in the UK anywhere... like anywhere currently!

:D well the evo is currently with Norris Designs an has been for some time now , after electrics packed in so it went for a total rewire :eek:

Was hoping to of had it back last week as this weekend ,I was booked in a three day event with it mainly 1/4 mile an top speed runs( not my thing really prefer on track ) so plan was too take the phantom too but it didn't happen :cry:

Should have it back this week ,so will do a vid with the phantom :cool:

DeweyAXD said:
Nwales said:

Afterwhich I think we need to see a fly around your Evo ;)

I am following the crowd with a T8J. If nothing else, the more that buy it and use it on a Phantom, the more help and support is available when things need tweaking! I also want it because I intend to get an FPV glider at some point.
Problem is... there seem to be none availalbe in the UK anywhere... like anywhere currently!

Try http://www.hobbystores.co.uk/default.as ... P-CB8J/L-D they are showing stock. I bought mine from there a couple of weeks ago. It was delivered next day.

DeweyAXD said:
Thanks MKheng... yep looks good and a good price too! Question to decide of the next few hours... Gimbal or TX!!
If I had too choose it would be a gimbal over a tx , even though I'm still waiting for my gimbal :lol: not done anymore vids yet until I get the gimbal , so just getting some fly time an practice till it arrives .

Nwales said:
DeweyAXD said:
Thanks MKheng... yep looks good and a good price too! Question to decide of the next few hours... Gimbal or TX!!
If I had too choose it would be a gimbal over a tx , even though I'm still waiting for my gimbal :lol: not done anymore vids yet until I get the gimbal , so just getting some fly time an practice till it arrives .

Yeah it is a tricky one. I really want a gimbal but then I have a paranoya about the stock RX in the Phantom being so **** small that I would feel uncomfortable adding another £250+ onto the bottom without a solid TX/RX setup. Sort of looking long term with it i guess too cause it'll give me the possibility of a 450 or 550 conversion and use with other models like a glider.... birthday coming soon so maybe gimbal goes on that list (the list of course is made out to myself via a credit card.... but you get shouted at less when buying yourself b.day presents don't you? :lol: )

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj