Where to power gimbal from?

Reaction score
This may be a really dumb question, but I don't know the answer (and I've done some searching but not come up with anything real definitive).

I'm installing a gimbal today, and looking at the parts and associated gimbal assembly, I made the assumption that I needed to connect the power leads form the gimbal directly to the point on the main board where the main battery power comes in.

Only after I completed that did I come across the Aux power cable/method of powering a gimbal.

So, I guess the questions are, will there be a problem with powering the gimbal off the main leads as opposed to using the Aux power lead?

And, are there any pro/cons associated with either method?

Thanks for any tips!

I see someone asked about power just below this post (doh).

If anyone has any tips on powering the gimbal off of the main lead vs the aux, I'd still be very appreciative.

Thanks!

The actual current draw from the gimbal is low, even in bumpy air. You should not have any issues with taking power from the main battery terminals. You might like to add a switch and an external plug connection, while you have your soldering iron out, you can power other accessories off that, and the switch is very handy to save wear and tear on your plugs and wires.

Thanks Howard!

I did end up keeping the leads attached to the main power input. I like your suggestion of adding a switch (unfortunately I'm not at that level of ability with the soldering iron ;)

I've done two test flights to see how the gimbal power draw and extra weight would affect my flight time. It was down to 6 minutes :/ The batteries had been in my case for about a week, not sure if that makes a difference.

Copying the footage over now to see how it looks.

Thanks again!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20