Where to fly - Orange County, Southern California

Reaction score
Can you So. Cal OC flyer share some of your favorite flying spot in Orange County?

I like Balboa Pier, Newport Pier, Corona Del Mar (up by the cliff by Ocean Blvd / Goldenrod Ave), Crystal Cove, Mason Regional Park (Irvine), Great Park (Irvine).

How about yours?

Any pier from San Clemente to Huntington, Dana Point Harbor, Sea View Park Laguna Niguel, Golf Course at St Regis, 3 Arch Bay, Strands Beach, Salt Creek Beach/Ritz Cove, Montage/Goff Island, Corona Del Mar, Victoria Beach, Newport Back Bay, and Heisler Park in Laguna, Aliso Woods Canyon in spring, to name a few of my favorites.

Reactions: sam_
SilentAV8R said:
Be careful in the Great Park. Irvine police will run you out. There is a designated flying site in the park and only club members are authorized to fly there.

I went there once. At the entrance, I made a right turn instead of left. I kept going and going and the gates were all open. I end up by the old runway and flown there. :) I have video footage of flying over actual runway. ha ha ha :)

Was there around 6:00 pm on a weeknight, so not much else going on there.

Those looks like nice places to fly! I'll keep this thread bookmarked. ;)

I'm interested on that Great Park though, but I really don't like flying by myself most of the times. And I guess I'll keep my AMA card with me at all times now, LOL.

Well since I'm right next to the OC area, the best places in my turf is any Palos Verdes beach (especially White point, Abalone Cove and Korean Friendship Bell (actually San Pedro)) and Manhattan Beach (and northwards). Just avoid the refineries and shipping docks since it's a no-fly zone there. I haven't heard anyone having trouble flying in the other areas though.

Reactions: SixfootUsmc0341
Newbie here, just had my inaugural flights yesterday. I chose the Huntington cliffs near golden west, it seemed like a good overall spot for a beginner.

Reactions: Dr_VonDuck
I live in La Habra so I fly at a school with a big field next to Target on Imperial Hwy.
It's getting boring though. I need some new places to fly.
I think I found a flying spot with several flying clubs at Whittier Narrows.
I've heard about getting hassled at the great park. Doesn't sound so great to me.
Thinking about Mt Baldy...
just trying to have fun and not piss anybody off.

Whittier Narrows requires AMA membership, as does the club that flies on the El Toro base (Great Park).

EDIT: with your AMA you can fly at Whittier Narrows without joining one of the chartered clubs that fly there. At El Toro/Great Park you need to also belong to the Orange COast RC Cllub:

http://www.ocrcc.com/

Last edited:
I just got a Phantom for Father's Day and I'm clearly an FNG. I'm located just down the street from Arbor Park located in Los Alamitos. I know they fly RC's and also do sports activities there. Anyone know the days and hours RC pilots can fly?

they probably fly in the mornings because the wind is usually calmer in the morning.
I don't think there are set hours.

Hi guys - just bought a Phantom today - live in Irvine by Portola area, got home around 5pm, took the phantom out placed in our park 5 steps from my door flew it up and down tested camera (10 minutes flight time) - landed went inside the house, after 10 minutes Irvine Cop showed up and told me no drones,planes, copters, rockets are allowed in all of Irvine.... I drove to whiting ranch dirt parking lot by the Oakley HQ - huge open field to test it for a few minutes, Park Ranger said "he thinks" its not allowed but to do it anyway since he think its cool and its harmless and was only flying it like 20FT since I am new to the quadcopter-world

So any insights where to fly and would like to film more mountain biking rides as well.

any insights and suggestions from experts in this forum...

thanks !

Hi- i live in Woodbury area and fly in Jeffery trail all the time when few people are around. I do know you can't fly at any Irvine regional parks. This was mentioned by great park staff and its on the Irvine parks web site. However, I've never read any other laws and I've looked on the city website. Irvine can be very picky.... They've got an image to maintain. My reco is just avoid people and don't fly where people may complain.

Last edited:
2nd2non - thanks for the tip - I'm by Portola Springs , I suspected either the cop was just driving by or someone really called but it's funny it's in our community little park and no one was there wanted to fly it for like 10 mins just to see it since it was my very first time flying a quadcopter... So I think someone saw a flying object and complained ...

I see people are flying in balboa pier? I wanna take aerial ocean photos any suggestions?

Thanks

I've flown in Dana point and Torrey pines state beach (north San Diego county) during off season. Just not really into flying over beach with summer crowds around.
I've never flown in Newport. @freeskier989 lives in that area and flies there all the time. I think the same principles apply... Don't fly when/where people may complain.

Yeah I will be scouting some places out - I moved out to Ladera / Mission Viejo area - I know there are some cool spots to film sunrise/sunset up in the hills up there - anyone done that in that area?

Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31