Where to fly - Orange County, Southern California

My weekends are pretty busy but once I get some more time it would be great to get together. As to Irvine, I searched the city ordinances and there is no ordinance that says you cannot fly a drone.

Alan

My weekends are pretty busy but once I get some more time it would be great to get together. As to Irvine, I searched the city ordinances and there is no ordinance that says you cannot fly a drone.

Alan
Maybe not the city, but regional parks are not ok. See ocparks.com, the look up the regional parks in Irvine. They all say "Use of motorized vehicles and equipment are prohibited". The police will enforce use of drones by this language. Of course this doesn't cover other small parks or the city [emoji3]

Maybe not the city, but regional parks are not ok. See ocparks.com, the look up the regional parks in Irvine. They all say "Use of motorized vehicles and equipment are prohibited". The police will enforce use of drones by this language. Of course this doesn't cover other small parks or the city [emoji3]

Thanks, I was not flying in regional parks, thanks for the link. I was flying in a city park, which is surprisingly little used.

Alan

Anyone know if I'll have any trouble flying around the bluffs in Dana Point or how about Laguna area?

I am very cautious about flying anywhere near people. With all the bad press coverage of drones in the way of firefighters I'm afraid we have a very bad public perception right now. I live within the no-fly zone of Los Alamitos Airbase. On the edge of the base there is a place for radio controlled flight. We can't fly there because the software knows where we are and will not allow flight. Too bad because it's OK to fly there. For now I will probably limit my flying to early-morning trips to the desert. Please post any information you find out. I would like to meet up with some of the orange county pilots.

I am very cautious about flying anywhere near people. With all the bad press coverage of drones in the way of firefighters I'm afraid we have a very bad public perception right now. I live within the no-fly zone of Los Alamitos Airbase. On the edge of the base there is a place for radio controlled flight. We can't fly there because the software knows where we are and will not allow flight. Too bad because it's OK to fly there. For now I will probably limit my flying to early-morning trips to the desert. Please post any information you find out. I would like to meet up with some of the orange county pilots.

You can fly no problem in El Dorado park. I fly my P3 and Solo almost every weekend there.

I would like to try out El dorado Park but I understand they require belonging to clubs and they charge fees. I believe there are a few people on this thread that fly there. What do you know about fees?

No need to be a member of AMA. You just have to pay a $5 entrance fee to get in the park or $7 on the weekend. You can get the annual pass for $60.

Can you tell me exactly where it is? I'm not very familiar with the part but I do know where the tennis courts are.

Its on the glider field. Right side is for the planes and left is for heli's and quad. They usually have a group racing quads in the afternoon on the weekend.

If you fly on beach, be careful of those small banner planes, they fly very low and close to beach. I sometimes fly over Laguna beach, above the ocean, around 300 feet. let's meet and fly together!

And also the helicopters, I live in Laguna and there are helicopters every day that are really low, especially the occasional Coast Guard copter. Because of the hot weather the beaches are crowded and the parking is bad but after this weekend (Memorial Day) i would be game for an early morning or late afternoon meetup. If you wanted to do a first time meet and greet before a beach trip, early mornings at Kite Hill is pretty empty, the plane and glider people are there more later in the day when it gets windy, not a huge area to fly in but it works for a meet and greet and a little bit of flying, with no fees.

Alan

Reactions: markdizle
Has anyone ever run in to problems flying at HB city beach? One of the head lifeguards told me I can't fly at the beach. I obeyed and left.

I live in La Habra so I fly at a school with a big field next to Target on Imperial Hwy.
It's getting boring though. I need some new places to fly.
I think I found a flying spot with several flying clubs at Whittier Narrows.
I've heard about getting hassled at the great park. Doesn't sound so great to me.
Thinking about Mt Baldy...
just trying to have fun and not piss anybody off.
If you live in La Habra, consider flying over the old Nike Base that was up in the hills in the 60's, just east of Harbor (Fullerton Rd). You can also take a mountain bike up there with a Phantom backpack, providing more options.
Here's a location that's easy parking and flying. 33.959300, -117.900963. Check out the Google street view.

Last edited:
Reactions: btrussell

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj