Where to fly - Orange County, Southern California

Oh great location... I should visit....
since morning I have watched atleast 10 Mavic Air review videos in youtube....then realized I don't have money :)

I think they intentionally left a performance gap between Mavic Pro and Air from camera quality wise and flight time wise... so that the Mavic market doesn't shut down over night. But after having many small trips in last one year with the drone, 70% of cases I realized how important it is to have something small and portable. I missed lot of incredible shooting opportunities just because I couldn't carry the P3S along with me..

I was up at 07:00 this morning and watched the "Adventure Unfolds" launch for the Mavic Air, and was ready to pull the trigger on ordering one.

However, I was hoping for a better camera in the Mavic Air than what is in the Mavic Pro Platinum today. It is marginally better, but at a shorter focal length (24mm MA vs 28mm MPP).

I'm going to wait for the Mavic Pro to get a camera upgrade because I like the longer flight time.

On a side note, did you see the "boomerang" video demonstration with the guy on the edge of the cliff, facing the ocean? That was where I once flew and shot this video...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Yeah, I was up this morning too watching the live feed. They've got some interesting new features I would expect to roll out in future craft, such as P5 maybe.

I've shot Vicente Point Lighthouse too, I thought that was interesting.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Bear5oh
Hey, this spot worked! I had to pull off the road to park but found a nice wide open field at Great Park Blvd. and Bosque.
After two mount of fighting with DJI I received refurbished Aircraft. Long story short I have to do a flight test. can you guys send me a link to the map of where you guys flew?

How’s it going every one. New to the drone thing. Flown planes and helicopters. I’ve picked up a spark flymore a couple months ago and loving it. Yes I know they have a spark forum, not to many local people with them so checking out this forum. Really nice videos on here.

Let us know how it goes. Caught a glimpse last weekend from driving 5 south and it looks all green. Was just dirt not too long ago. Look for Webster University.

I went there twice it is a quiet place especially During the weekend.

264647F3-806F-45BD-857E-2C9A4330E995.jpeg
35A81858-2642-4D94-BF73-EFCA2B908B4A.jpeg
From canyon rim park today

Reactions: Bear5oh
Wowzers. Will have to check this out.

Was flying over some open land adjacent to the Great Park when Irvine PD pulled up and asked to me to move. Shockingly, I was invited to fly at the Great Park just so long as I stayed away from the balloon! She said she got this info from her commander. There's a lot of open land there. Question is where to park? The lots are all adjacent to the facilities, but I guess I could walk.

The flying club has a spot over there now but it's ugly and you need to join their club and AMAA. No longer I guess. And I hear the club sanctioned land is up for demolition and improvements so we'll have to see where they might be moving to. That should occur sometime in March.

Its going to be a beautiful spring week. Anyone planning flights in picturesque areas? Anyone thinking about searching for whales off the coast? Winter and Spring are best b4 the crowds start rolling in June

Information on where to legally fly seems to be scattered around and I feel like I have to solve a puzzle to know if I satisfy all the FAA, local, state, etc. regulations. I've seen a lot of people flying by the Huntington Beach pier, Bolsa Chica State Beach, etc. but was wondering where I can find some documentation that it's safe to fly there. The main issue seems to be where to launch/land because you can often fly somewhere but you can't legally launch/land where you would like to. I basically want some backup in case anyone challenges whether or not I can legally fly there. Appreciate your help!

You can always checks the city’s website to see if it says anything. If not email someone from the city and ask the question. This way you have a written email confirming it’s ok.

Reactions: sinistr
You can always checks the city’s website to see if it says anything. If not email someone from the city and ask the question. This way you have a written email confirming it’s ok.

I contacted a couple cities. Heard back from HB and they basically said they don't have any established rules and I just need to follow FAA guidelines. Also said to watch out for low flying aircraft at the beach as they're pretty common there.

Looking at the AirMap app HB is a safe distance from airports it's just got all the helipads around.

I contacted a couple cities. Heard back from HB and they basically said they don't have any established rules and I just need to follow FAA guidelines. Also said to watch out for low flying aircraft at the beach as they're pretty common there.

Looking at the AirMap app HB is a safe distance from airports it's just got all the helipads around.

My problem too, is it’s just to [Language Removed by Moderator] confusing figuring out where your legally in OC. City of Irvine website says it legal to fly in their parks. Can an Irvine resident back that up? HB safe. A tiny sliver near the pier maybe. Turn on everything in AirMap and you have well over a 100 calls to make if your flying recreationally. Anyone want an unused P4? When I emailed HB way back in late 2015 the place officer that replied basically told me to go to El Dorado Park in Long Beach. Sure thing officer, another airport to call. I want to get my 107 but frankly I just don’t see how that will improve anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
My problem too, is it’s just to [Language Removed by Moderator] confusing figuring out where your legally in OC. City of Irvine website says it legal to fly in their parks. Can an Irvine resident back that up? HB safe. A tiny sliver near the pier maybe. Turn on everything in AirMap and you have well over a 100 calls to make if your flying recreationally. Anyone want an unused P4? When I emailed HB way back in late 2015 the place officer that replied basically told me to go to El Dorado Park in Long Beach. Sure thing officer, another airport to call. I want to get my 107 but frankly I just don’t see how that will improve anything.
If you decide to go through with the Part 107 certification, you'll feel more confident of where to fly after passing the test. Generally, if you are outside the boundaries of airports, you're safe. If the area is posted no RC Models, you're not. Very few So. Calif cities have no fly ordinances, but Laguna Beach does, however you can still fly in certain areas in Laguna Beach, like Top of the World. Whether you're in a legal area or not, I always fly as stealth as possible, away from people that can be a nuisance. Hide and launch.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.