Where to fly - Orange County, Southern California

Hey, I've been thinking about that spot and may try it sometime. :)

Personally, I think the polarizer you used was a bit too much as it seem to darken the sky far too much like a ink blot with P4's wide angle lens in video. My sky video panos look pretty bad with the polarizer so I leave it off now and use a grad. Color on my monitor looked a bit greenish too.
View attachment 73188
I've shot stills there, but no drone work yet. Would be a good place to try autonomous apps too if the wind is agreeable as it gets pretty gusty in the afternoon. Most I've seen is a couple of cars at a time there, and the ranger twice who just waves from his pickup in the summertime when it's too hot to get out of it.

well circular polarizer is not a good suit for a wide angle lens. ND Grads are always a better fit.

If you like a wide open area then I recommend blackstar canyon area. Anything past Tustin market place is pretty safe. Also, check out peter's canyon regional park. I called the city, and flying in parks here is a major no unless it's designated. It's supposed to be 5 miles away from an airport, but I think you can fly it on the outskirts of Irvine like in the portola area, just keep it away from people for now and have fun!

I was flying in Black Star last weekend. My brother and I hiked to the falls and then I flew close to the trailhead. The next day I was out in that area and asked a Park Ranger if there was anywhere I could fly without bothering anybody. He said in a friendly way that they don't allow quadcopters to be flown in the Black Star area or anywhere in that area. I know there has to be some where to fly around there. I live in this area and have flown in Peters Canyon park before and really wish there was somewhere to fly out there where I would't bother anyone or get into trouble.

I would like to fly around the Limestone Canyon area. I found a cool place and was going to launch but had to leave already.

I was flying in Black Star last weekend. My brother and I hiked to the falls and then I flew close to the trailhead. The next day I was out in that area and asked a Park Ranger if there was anywhere I could fly without bothering anybody. He said in a friendly way that they don't allow quadcopters to be flown in the Black Star area or anywhere in that area. I know there has to be some where to fly around there. I live in this area and have flown in Peters Canyon park before and really wish there was somewhere to fly out there where I would't bother anyone or get into trouble.
They have a designated place next to the Irvine Lake. I remember seeing people fly their huge rc planes, but they weren't quads. Still, it was a uav

They have a designated place next to the Irvine Lake. I remember seeing people fly their huge rc planes, but they weren't quads. Still, it was a uav

Maybe this is it?
Irvine Lake RC Park
Blue Diamond Haul Rd, Silverado, CA 92676
(949) 667-1141
https://www.google.com/maps?q=Irvin...3:0xfc349d1f263eda3&hl=en-US&gl=us&shorturl=1

Or maybe this one adjacent to it

Orange county modelers association bob swenson flying site
Blue Diamond Haul Rd, Silverado, CA 92676
https://www.google.com/maps?q=Orang...:0x99c4ca7ba152b192&hl=en-US&gl=us&shorturl=1

Last edited:
Reactions: tml4191
When was the last time you went there? I went there about for months ago and it's all fenced-off because the lake is relatively empty. You can't get past the little store building.

Last edited:
When was the last time you went there? I went there about for months ago and it's all fenced-off because the lake is relatively empty. You can't get past the little store building.

Correct, I just went there today afternoon and it was all closed just few abandoned cars and main lake is surrounded with fence. Couldn't see any RC flying area nearby either.

----------
<< FAA sUAS Part 107 Remote Pilot Certified >> / AMA Member / Software Engineer
DJI Phantom 4
/ SDCard 64GB Class-10 / iPad Air 2-128GB / iPhone 7 Plus-256GB / Manfrotto Aviator D1 Drone Backpack
Subscribe to my YouTube drone channel: Pacific Drone Pilots
I was there a couple months ago. I went into Oak Cyn Park, which is a public park. In the photo below I flew from the STAR, and Oak Creek is noted in this Google satellite view as Test Fest, which is actually BEFORE Oak Cyn Park. I'm thinking they moved Oak Cyn Park to this TestFest area. I'm pretty sure the road signs call this TestFest area, Oak Cyn Park. From the dirt parking lot there were dirt access roads to an overflow dirt parking lot up on a hill that overlooks the lake, at the far end in the photo below. I went to the far end of the dirt lot, which is out of sight of the grassy "TestFest" park area. The red trail is the route I drove my GS350 Lexus on. The hill is a little steep, but doable.

upload_2017-1-16_22-47-26.png

upload_2017-1-16_22-45-16.png

Reactions: 2nd2non
Cool. I may give this a try Friday or Saturday if weather cooperates. I could use a wide open area to test some drone to drone follow me testing and spotlight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those living near Anaheim Hills may want to check out this flight spot. It's a hilly area ("Anaheim Hills") that offers easy access, free parking and scenic flight areas.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Djr01974
Those living near Anaheim Hills may want to check out this flight spot. It's a hilly area ("Anaheim Hills") that offers easy access, free parking and scenic flight areas.

Nice.... will check out tomm if it doesn't rain...today I went to laguna hill Nix trail park area, tho they were closed but did some flying outside of the gate. Looks like many places are temporarily closed for weather!

I was there a couple months ago. I went into Oak Cyn Park, which is a public park. In the photo below I flew from the STAR, and Oak Creek is noted in this Google satellite view as Test Fest, which is actually BEFORE Oak Cyn Park. I'm thinking they moved Oak Cyn Park to this TestFest area. I'm pretty sure the road signs call this TestFest area, Oak Cyn Park. From the dirt parking lot there were dirt access roads to an overflow dirt parking lot up on a hill that overlooks the lake, at the far end in the photo below. I went to the far end of the dirt lot, which is out of sight of the grassy "TestFest" park area. The red trail is the route I drove my GS350 Lexus on. The hill is a little steep, but doable.

View attachment 73676
View attachment 73675

I tried this location on Saturday, just before sunset. Haul Rd gate was closed. I wonder if it's closed all day or partially. Or if the large amounts of rain we've been getting has forced it to be closed recently.

Anyway, I went south a little further on the Santiago Canyon Rd and found someone flying their phantom on the side of the road. I stopped there and set up as well for a bit as the sun was already setting. I'll keep trying that location in the future.

Attachments

• Irvine Lake 2.JPG
    Irvine Lake 2.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 329
  • Irvine Lake 1.JPG
    Irvine Lake 1.JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 310

Thank you for sharing. I'll check this place out next weekend if the weather cooperates.

This place has "NO R/C flying" signs posted there. I went to fly here before and was bummed out and left.

I tried this location on Saturday, just before sunset. Haul Rd gate was closed. I wonder if it's closed all day or partially. Or if the large amounts of rain we've been getting has forced it to be closed recently.

Anyway, I went south a little further on the Santiago Canyon Rd and found someone flying their phantom on the side of the road. I stopped there and set up as well for a bit as the sun was already setting. I'll keep trying that location in the future.

I have flown here before but have been told by Park Rangers that I shouldn't be flying there. They said that flying drones aren't allowed in that area. I know I sound kind of ignorant but I love flying in this area because it is in my backyard and on the way home from work. Can someone tell me how to make sure I am not going to get into trouble out there while flying?

That's unusual that Haul rd is closed. Maybe it had to do with the rain, since all of that area would be too soaked to be able to use.

This place has "NO R/C flying" signs posted there. I went to fly here before and was bummed out and left.

I have flown here before but have been told by Park Rangers that I shouldn't be flying there. They said that flying drones aren't allowed in that area. I know I sound kind of ignorant but I love flying in this area because it is in my backyard and on the way home from work. Can someone tell me how to make sure I am not going to get into trouble out there while flying?
Are you referring to Oak Canyon Park or Santiago Canyon Road?

This place has "NO R/C flying" signs posted there. I went to fly here before and was bummed out and left.?

Here's some background of my use of this area for the last year. Yes, there is a sign there, but the wording is vague, says something like.....the area is "not approved for RC model flight ". It doesn't say No RC Flying. It's like saying, homeless people sleeping under this bridge is not approved, but they do it all the time and nobody bothers them. If there was an ordinance against it, they would say "No flying of model aircraft". I think the wording is specifically meant to be vague since the City of Anaheim hills doesn't have jurisdiction of the hills, it's county land. That sign I believe is a city sign to help the homes on the street minimize RC gliders flying there. Where that sign is posted, right in front of of a hill overlooking the city, is ideal for flying RC gliders, a windward facing slope, but that's not where I fly. If you get out of sight of the homes and don't bother anyone, you'll be OK. I fly there all the time, never had a problem. Everyone I see hike or ride by has never complained, they're always interested in the technology. If you go to other entry areas of this preserve, there is no mention of no flying in the hills, it's only on that street where it's mentioned. I simply stay out of sight of the homes to prevent people from seeing me fly. This area is a popular photography area for sunsets, so anyone that sees my backpack thinks I'm a photographer, which I am. I take a folding chair with me. It's a beautiful place to relax and fly. The launch point I show in my video above is pretty secluded, and it's only about a 500' hike from the cul-de-sac.

Here's some background of my use of this area for the last year. Yes, there is a sign there, but the wording is vague, says something like.....the area is "not approved for RC model flight ". It doesn't say No RC Flying. It's like saying, homeless people sleeping under this bridge is not approved, but they do it all the time and nobody bothers them. If there was an ordinance against it, they would say "No flying of model aircraft". I think the wording is specifically meant to be vague since the City of Anaheim hills doesn't have jurisdiction of the hills, it's county land. That sign I believe is a city sign to help the homes on the street minimize RC gliders flying there. Where that sign is posted, right in front of of a hill overlooking the city, is ideal for flying RC gliders, a windward facing slope, but that's not where I fly. If you get out of sight of the homes and don't bother anyone, you'll be OK. I fly there all the time, never had a problem. Everyone I see hike or ride by has never complained, they're always interested in the technology. If you go to other entry areas of this preserve, there is no mention of no flying in the hills, it's only on that street where it's mentioned. I simply stay out of sight of the homes to prevent people from seeing me fly. This area is a popular photography area for sunsets, so anyone that sees my backpack thinks I'm a photographer, which I am. I take a folding chair with me. It's a beautiful place to relax and fly. The launch point I show in my video above is pretty secluded, and it's only about a 500' hike from the cul-de-sac.

John, what's your take on heliports? This location falls within a 3 mile radius of a private heliport owned by Edison (AirNav: CL55 - SCE Serrano Substation Heliport). Most likely not in service most of the time. I'm new at flying and just so paranoid. I will probably check it out anyway.

Are you referring to Oak Canyon Park or Santiago Canyon Road?

I was referring to the area in the "Irvine Lake 2" image that jCast had posted. That little gravel area I have flown from once before. I would love to go back but am afraid that someone might stop by and give me trouble. I am one of those paranoid flyers I guess.

Ok, I might try to fly there this weekend if the rain is gone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.