Where can i fly legally

Reaction score
I fly for a hobby. Been flying for about 4 years. I would like to do it legally. Don't want to get in any trouble. I have read the rules for hobby pilots over and over.
I went a bought a sectional map. Been trying to learn a little about it. I belong to a model airplane club and I was hoping we have a pilot that might help me.
I have a airport 4 miles from me. They said it is a class E. I talked to them about flying and they said do whatever the FAA says. I thought I was supposed to call the airport but now I don't think I do that. I guess for a hobby I am not sure what I am supposed to do. I am a member to a drone site on Facebook. I have posted and asked if they got permission to fly here but no one has answered back.
My question is I am a hobby flyer what do I do? I do have B4ufly on my phone.

I fly for a hobby. Been flying for about 4 years. I would like to do it legally. Don't want to get in any trouble. I have read the rules for hobby pilots over and over.
I went a bought a sectional map. Been trying to learn a little about it. I belong to a model airplane club and I was hoping we have a pilot that might help me.
I have a airport 4 miles from me. They said it is a class E. I talked to them about flying and they said do whatever the FAA says. I thought I was supposed to call the airport but now I don't think I do that. I guess for a hobby I am not sure what I am supposed to do. I am a member to a drone site on Facebook. I have posted and asked if they got permission to fly here but no one has answered back.
My question is I am a hobby flyer what do I do? I do have B4ufly on my phone.
You should be OK with Class E. I had bookmarked this a while back that may help.

Reactions: DroneB
You have done a lot of homework and that is good. I like the Kittyhawk app. It has a reliable map that shows you where you can fly. It is hard for many to understand the air spaces to fly in. If you are in an area that needs permission to fly, it lets you know. You can ask for permission right on the app. quick and easy. It’s your responsibility to know, but Kittyhawk helps you in making your decision to fly or not.

Last edited:
Yes it's a Phantom 4. Went to fly yesterday. Using B4ufly. It showed cleared for take off in green. No active advisories. It showed 1.5 miles from Pineville Municipal Airport ,1.08 miles from Rapides Heliport, 1.87 miles for Va medical Center Heliport and 2.00 miles from Alexandria International Airport Class D and 2.79 miles for Troop E Police helipad.
When I crank up to fly I get
Safety Notification
Your aircraft has entered an enhanced warning zone ( Airport).
Please fly with caution. To continue your flight please select.

I agree to bear full responsibility for my flight in this zone O

Yes

I click yes and fly. According to the sectional chart from what I can tell it is Class E. Looks like to me we have two classes of airspace. We have a large area that class E covers and the class D. It is inside the class E. The class covers a large area. Just about anywhere I want to fly. Anymore advice appreciated. I live right at the top part of the yellow area that shows Alexandria.

Attachments

• 20201117_104053.jpg
    20201117_104053.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 206

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.