Where are the antennas on the aircraft?

Reaction score
My partially wrecked Phantom 4 has a broken coax lead going to one of the antennas in the landing gear. It is the right rear leg. In putting the gear back together just to test it, the very small coax cable came off. I was unable to get to the antenna to resolder so I soldered on a 5 inch piece of copper wire to the center conductor leaving the shield open. I successfully flew the drone on several short flights testing various functions and everything seems to work normally. However I would really like to know what function this particular antenna covers. I have searched various sites but none list each antenna and its purpose. If anyone knows, please reply.

Thanks!
Jim
WA5TEF

There have been a few threads in this forum or over at DJI (can’t recall exactly) for the leg antenna function.

From memory- front legs are video, rear dedicated to control with RHS being receive.

Perhaps you could place a braided sheath (or even use a single wire) over/beside the feed line with the driven element at 180deg to make a dipole. Might work better than a single wire as you have now.

Of all the cables you could have broken it seems that was the best one (least impact on functionality).

With The Birds, thanks for the information. Yep that’s exactky what I had planned to do, make a simple dipole. The Phantom was pretty well beat up. Camera and gimbal broken off, landing gear knocked loose and body bent a little. I got it mostly back together with a hot glue gun, just enough to see if it would still fly. It did! With my temporary antenna repairs and hot glue got me enough information that it might be worth ordering parts and fixing it. I did need to know about the function of the antenna mentioned. With your information I am going to go ahead and order new landing gear with antennas from Amazon and start working on it. I’ve already tested the RTH from 500 feet out and it worked perfectly. Navigation also works so I’m part of the way home.

Thanks again for the information!
Jim
WA5TEF

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers