Homemade dipole antennas for 2.4ghz

Heck yeah. At least you can fly now. LOL

On your broken one. If you could cut a little of that black heat shrink away... a little blop of solder would have that working again. If you want.... mail it to me, I'll try fixing it. I know you are getting another one, but it would be good for a spare.
Those omnidirectional wifi antenna I'm using till my dipole gets here, don't work nearly as good as the dipoles. I went out for a quick flight today in a suburban area that I normally do around 2000 meters, and my video was staring to go out at 1100 meters today and was starting to get weak at half that. I'll have to do a rural test flight later for a real test of them. At that location I was getting 3500 meters with stock birdside 2.4 GHz panels and my modded remote.

Last edited:
Those omnidirectional wifi antenna I'm using till my dipole gets here, don't work nearly as good as the dipoles. I went out for a quick flight today in a suburban area that I normally do around 2000 meters, and my video was staring to go out at 1100 meters today and was starting to get weak at half that. I'll have to do a rural test flight later for a real test of them. At that location I was getting 3500 meters with stock birdside 2.4 GHz panels and my modded remote.

I got about 2000 feet out of the ones I tried. No amps though.

Hey.... at least you're not completely grounded. :)

Is there anything to be gained by upgrading the RC antennas on the aircraft?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I'm still thinking about that one. Much harder because you actually have to take the bird apart to get at the connectors.

Last edited:
Yeh I just had mine apart. I was soldering to the power terminals on the board. That's when I saw where the antennas connect.

But back to the question, is there something to be gained?

480c63358e3cf46051fcbcc63f66af7b.jpg

It's possible. The antennas would be built the same way as the video one's except the "legs" would need to be 12.9mm instead of 29mm. That would tune it to 5.8ghz.

Reactions: yjander
That looks like a midevil torture device.....cool though. How do we make it?

Sent from my VS987 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Here is where I found it:

5.8 Ghz omni and patch or PCB

It looks like all you would need is your rp-sma co-ax and then some solid copper wire (like the kind you used from the TV cable). Strip the co-ax, then you'd solder 4 pcs on spaced every 90 degrees. So from the top, it would look like a + sign. Then bend them down so that it's 120 degree angle. It says that the measurements are VERY critical.

Now that I look at the pictures again... that might be small copper tubing? What do you think?

So I'm trying to read and learn a little about antennas. I don't quite understand the length. I get that it is the length of the wavelength or half or quarter of it, but my question is, what would happen if I hooked the 2.4ghz antennas to the 5.8ghz? I'm thinking like with old school rabbit ears you didn't have to have a set length, heck we put tin foil all over them.

So I'm trying to read and learn a little about antennas. I don't quite understand the length. I get that it is the length of the wavelength or half or quarter of it, but my question is, what would happen if I hooked the 2.4ghz antennas to the 5.8ghz? I'm thinking like with old school rabbit ears you didn't have to have a set length, heck we put tin foil all over them.

The point here is that it's not like you're going to get snow like on an analog television set, everything is digital nowadays. So the signal is there or it's lost. The wifi signal does have the technology in it to request a resend of lost data (to a point), but the control signal is going to be either had or not. In other words you need a properly tuned antenna and trying to jerry-rig something on your drone is not good in my opinion.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Matts175
Here is where I found it:

5.8 Ghz omni and patch or PCB

It looks like all you would need is your rp-sma co-ax and then some solid copper wire (like the kind you used from the TV cable). Strip the co-ax, then you'd solder 4 pcs on spaced every 90 degrees. So from the top, it would look like a + sign. Then bend them down so that it's 120 degree angle. It says that the measurements are VERY critical.

Now that I look at the pictures again... that might be small copper tubing? What do you think?

What about these things? seem pretty cheap? Amazon.com: Fontic FPV 5.8Ghz Circular Polarized Clover Leaf Antenna High Gain Aerial Set w/RP-SMA Plug: Home Audio & Theater

It would work, but very poorly. The lengths of the "legs" of the T are critical to whatever frequency it's tuned for. If it didn't matter, we would all just solder a long piece of wire onto the existing antenna and be done with it. But, it just doesn't work like that.

If you want to learn a LOT about antennas from a very smart guy.... watch this Youtube channel:

andrew mcneil

I've watched most of those over the years. He mostly deals with WiFi routers... but the technology is exactly the same for drones.

There's one theory of antennas which I don't have 100% grasp of but I'll point you in the right direction. If you're read the description of that product in your link it says circular polarized. My understanding is both ends AC and RC would need to be the same polarization, circular in this case. The other is linear polarization, like the DBS. From my understanding that would not be a good choice if you had a DBS antenna.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

While waiting impatiently for bits to arrive to build the dipoles, I dug out some 2.4ghz antenna's I have on hand - in the image attached.

Do the two antenna on the craft have to be the same - or will this wreck the video transmitter?
I'm thinking I could use a short one for wider close coverage and a longer one for narrower longer range - both hung vertical (pointing down).
I have a DBS Itelite antenna on my controller.

I'm not interested in range, just improving my signal out to 6-700m more for safety.
From reading the posts here, these antenna's pictured aren't and ideal match with the DBS.

Just a though - it may be a silly one - or perhaps genius?

Attachments

• 24 antennas.jpg
    24 antennas.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 465
Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member