When is Hot Too Hot?

Reaction score
Greetings!!!

Here in the Great White North we are in the midst of a tremendous heat wave. As I type it is 35 (40 with the humidityC) or 95, 104F with the humidity. Is there a base hot temperature that would make it dangerous to fly? Not that I would be stupid enough to be out there flying in this heat. I'm just curious.

Reactions: Jim Canada
Here in the South we thrive in such conditions daily. I flew yesterday to get a video of a neighbor’s burned house. The temperature was 95 degrees and heat index was 111 degrees. I had no problems. I chose to not remain outside very long in those conditions but my Phantom 4 did fine and the video is perfect.
Jim
WA5TEF

I always was more worried about cold conditions up here in the northeast but good question since we are getting a pretty serious heat wave here too. Has anyone ever had or heard of an experience with overheating?

Over heating is not really an issue , but the cold is.... both the motors and the battery are designed to withstand high temps well over 150 degrees.

We just had 100 degree day and I took the Drone wearing the Phantom Rain Wet Suit out for a spin and you can check the video on are website, but the pictures should serve well. Phantomrain.org

Keep in mind most flights are limited to 20 to 26 minutes.

The battery was 94 and the motors 96 and at the end of the day flying.
104 and 118

Screen Shot 2018-07-03 at 9.10.29 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-07-03 at 9.10.01 PM.png

Is it just me? Or is anyone else becoming annoyed with this guy continually pushing his PhantomWetSuits? I mean, put up a link to your website but don't keep on answering posts telling me that the wetsuit is the cure-all for all and any problem I may be having with my drone. I haven't been flying for very long but so far I've gotten along very well without using whatever it is you're pushing. Please stop answering my post with your sales pitch.

Is it just me? Or is anyone else becoming annoyed with this guy continually pushing his PhantomWetSuits? I mean, put up a link to your website but don't keep on answering posts telling me that the wetsuit is the cure-all for all and any problem I may be having with my drone. I haven't been flying for very long but so far I've gotten along very well without using whatever it is you're pushing. Please stop answering my post with your sales pitch.

Is it just me or do you need a little help understanding the post.
The idea was that even with the wet suit covering the drone that heat is not an issue so flying without it is even less of a concern.

Noted, we will not help you again. .thanks

115 degrees in Scottsdale today (in the shade). We were driving home from dinner last night and it was 100 degrees at 9:00 p.m.! I can only fly in the mornings now. It's 6:30 a.m. now and already 91 degrees. Don't be fooled into thinking that high heat can't damage batteries. It does a number on car and motorcycle batteries. Unless we think Phantom batteries are stronger than car batteries?

115 degrees in Scottsdale today (in the shade). We were driving home from dinner last night and it was 100 degrees at 9:00 p.m.! I can only fly in the mornings now. It's 6:30 a.m. now and already 91 degrees. Don't be fooled into thinking that high heat can't damage batteries. It does a number on car and motorcycle batteries. Unless we think Phantom batteries are stronger than car batteries?
The only issue I have experienced with heat here in Dallas Texas has to do with my iPad Mini 3. The Drone seems to perform perfectly, but the iPad gets so incredibly hot and I get very bad lag and green screen problems. It's an issue, but maybe I need to upgrade beyond my current iPad Mini 3.

The only issue I have experienced with heat here in Dallas Texas has to do with my iPad Mini 3. The Drone seems to perform perfectly, but the iPad gets so incredibly hot and I get very bad lag and green screen problems. It's an issue, but maybe I need to upgrade beyond my current iPad Mini 3.
So true regarding the iPad getting hot. And you guys have all that humidity!

So true regarding the iPad getting hot. And you guys have all that humidity!
I would love to hear from others what their solution is to the hot iPad causing green screen and lag. Has anyone found success with a vented Sun Hood? Different OS on the iPad? Or do I need to get a new iPad with better processing power? It has cost me some beautiful shots and therefore money and I need to resolve the hot iPad issue!

I did notice my P3A video feed was breaking up more when I flew in the midday heat yesterday (UK is experiencing an unusual hot spell). The recorded video was fine, so it was either hot WiFi components, or maybe phone/display getting hot.

I've noticed that when using my new iPad my screen has half a screen of green when I first take off with auto takeoff. It is only for a second... like a flash. After that everything works perfect.

So the real question is: Why would anyone want to fly outside, when its over 100 Degrees. At lets say 90 and up, I'd be more worried about the pilot then the drone. FYI almost all Apple Products shut down when there outer casing reaches 90 Degrees. By the way, heat is not good for any electronics. Dont care what DJI says, or what some of you posters are saying. It kills battery life and motor life and circuit board life.

Reactions: Bobby T
Put a frozen cold pack under it
Or
Take a large Zip Lock baggie
Put in 50% alcohol and 50% water

Freeze it
Put it in another baggie same size
It makes a frozen slurry
Great for icing necks etc
Kinda bends to cover more than a flat or round hard frozen block of ice
Place it under IPad
U can also put a cooling mat under it
Frozen slurry under that

I live in a Louisiana
U want Hot and Humid we got it

Is it just me or do you need a little help understanding the post.
The idea was that even with the wet suit covering the drone that heat is not an issue so flying without it is even less of a concern.

Noted, we will not help you again. .thanks
I actually think there is nothing wrong with promoting your brand in your posts. I have learned a lot about products that are of benefit to my drones, thanks to small biz people mentioning their products on this forum. No one is forcing the reader to read the post or click on a link.

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
No matter how HOT it gets outside, the Pro Plus controller has never failed us so Props to DJI for that.

I cannot say that for my New Iphone: Just 5 minutes in the sun and its toast.

We see a lot of post about the heat not being good for the drone, but please keep in mind that the flights we take are under 30 minutes at a time, before we put in a fresh new battery also the drone is flying and not just baking under the sun for hours.

You will struggle with your phone and iPads as they were in no way made to negotiate heat.
However we have never had a temp warning on the Pro Plus Controller flying the phantom in the extreme heat. The cold however will destroy the battery if measures are not taking.

IMG_0707 2.jpeg

So the real question is: Why would anyone want to fly outside, when its over 100 Degrees. At lets say 90 and up, I'd be more worried about the pilot then the drone. FYI almost all Apple Products shut down when there outer casing reaches 90 Degrees. By the way, heat is not good for any electronics. Dont care what DJI says, or what some of you posters are saying. It kills battery life and motor life and circuit board life.

I don't like walking between the front door to my running (auto start) truck where the a/c is already on, when it's 95, let alone 100 degrees. The distance is all of 25'. Forget flying in that kind of heat. If I have to wear a sweatband under my ball cap to keep the sweat out of my eyes, so I can see my screen, then it's just to hot, for me anyway.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers