When is Hot Too Hot?

I would love to hear from others what their solution is to the hot iPad causing green screen and lag. Has anyone found success with a vented Sun Hood? Different OS on the iPad? Or do I need to get a new iPad with better processing power? It has cost me some beautiful shots and therefore money and I need to resolve the hot iPad issue!
Try android device on those hot days, i have lots of videos of me fishing in the boat on lakes here near Dallas and no issues of overheating. Just my $0.02 worth.

Reactions: Dallas Drone Guy
Thanks all for the interesting inputs... much appreciated.
I did say in my initial post that I really wasn't dumb enough to be out there flying in 100+ degree heat. It was just something I was wondering while watching the world go by from my front, air conditioned room window. :cool:

Thanks all for the interesting inputs... much appreciated.
I did say in my initial post that I really wasn't dumb enough to be out there flying in 100+ degree heat. It was just something I was wondering while watching the world go by from my front, air conditioned room window. :cool:

90 - 100F and 90% humidity is a pretty normal day here in North Queensland.
Never had a prob with the drone or Android.

The iPad has heat issues as well, and you get a warning and eventually a forced shut down. From what I have observed, it isn’t the air temperature as much as the direct sunlight hitting the iPad screen. The iPad gets uncomfortably hot when to hold. Using a hood or working from shade seems to avoid that problem.

Living in an area where the temperature is well over 100 degrees F every day for weeks on end, one just gets used to it you learn to deal with it. Before I retired, I worked an outdoor job and realized that the Pioneers that settled Arizona had to live with the heat and by staying hydrated and in the shade, life goes on. Of course, adapting to heat like that, makes temperatures down into the 70's seem cold and requires a jacket. To capture a sunset out in the desert with the sun peeking over from behind a mountain peak sometimes requires one to fly beyond line of sight. So imagine my horror to be watching the scene on my iPad and suddenly, with only seconds of a warning, my iPad just shut down! Fortunately, I pressed return to home and after several heart stopping moments I heard my Phantom 4 returning, and once in sight, I was able to control it with the controller and landed it. Undoubtedly it would have landed by itself, but I hand catch it to avoid it having to work in a cloud of dust. I think the cold pack is good advise to keep the iPad cool. I will use it the next time, but I did learn that the Phantom still works even without the iPad being on, and that in the heat, I'd better keep it in sight.

Reactions: Bobby T
So the real question is: Why would anyone want to fly outside, when its over 100 Degrees. At lets say 90 and up, I'd be more worried about the pilot then the drone. FYI almost all Apple Products shut down when there outer casing reaches 90 Degrees. By the way, heat is not good for any electronics. Dont care what DJI says, or what some of you posters are saying. It kills battery life and motor life and circuit board life.
I fly for fun but I also fly for MONEY. So when I have a shoot that will make me $200-$300 in just a few hours, I get to work. The customer wants beautiful shots and they are hard to pull off when the screen lags and glitches so bad you can't see where the camera is pointing. Even if my battery life long term diminishes because of frequent high temperature flights, oh well, it's a tool and it pays for itself. As you can tell from my name, I live in Dallas. If we didn't fly above 90° we would be grounded many months of the year!! hope this answers your question.

Reactions: Timinator

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik