What's the state of screen mirroring?

Reaction score
I tried searching but didn't find much. I've got a P4Pro with an Ipad display and might be deploying into eastern NC. What are folks using to mirror the drone output to nearby devices? I don't want the HDMI out option because I don't want to be tied to a cord. I've seen posts in the past talking about using a hotspot to connect mobile devices and laptops but can't remember how those devices were accessing the wireless stream. What's a good way to let officials around me see what I'm seeing without looking over my shoulder?

I know nothing about iDevices, does iOS have a native wifi 'cast' feature?

I use a Huawei Mediapad M3 8.4 w/ Android 7.0. It has a feature built-in called Mirrorcast which will mirror the screen to any device compatible with the Miracast protocol. I found out that the Amazon Firestick v2 ( but not newer ones) will receive Miracast signals directly, no router needed. I've used the Firestick on a TV and a computer monitor through HDMI to mirror both GO and Litchi. Works great, lag is one second or less.

Sorry, that's all I got ;)

You can SCREEN MIRROR (called AirPlay by Apple) to another compatible iOS device or there are programs you can buy to allow you to mirror to a laptop/PC. You can NOT (to my knowledge) go from iPad to iPad.

Apple AirPlay GOOGLE Search

You'll have to research your specific device to see what it's able to mirror but we mirror our iPAd 2017 and our iPad Mini2 back to my laptop, to our AppleTV (in my house) and to our AppleTV we have perm mounted in our Incident Command COMMS Trailer.

It all depends on what viewing devices are available where you're trying to work. The CAVEAT is you must be on the same WiFi as the viewing device and within range of the HOTSPOT/Router. Also note that Screen Mirroring will consume additional battery from your sUAS Viewing Device and could also cause a HEAT issue is working in a hot environment.

Make sure you are up to the task of working in a high stress environment and carry all of your own PPE. They've got some massive mosquitoes hatching down there right now and you don't want to catch something you didn't take with you. Flying in a recovering disaster area is hard work, long hours, and very stressful. Stay safe and SAFE FLIGHTS!

Allen

Thanks, they say everything will be provided or paid for from the time we arrive at the jump off point until we return there. What kind of PPE do you recommend? I'm also a nurse and have worn plastic hospital PPE many times. It isn't breathable and makes me sweat like crazy. Couldn't work in them for very long without soaking my uniform. Specific examples of effective PPE for the situation and where to obtain it would be great. I could leave as early as Saturday.

I've found 2 free PC Airsoft servers that work but I'm interested in what people are actually using specifically (which wireless router?) in the field to wireless share my Ipad controller screen. Saw a YT vid of an app called just Screen Mirror that runs on your controller device screen and requires only a browser to view the stream. That would be awesome if all anybody had to do was pop open their browser and go to an IP address without downloading any software. Unfortunately that's not in the App Store, only Google Play. Thanks for the input and please let me know about the PPE I should get, and any other tips. This is my first deployment.

PPE would be mandated by the Incident Commander. They should have a list available ahead of time so you can supplement it to meet any specific needs/sizes.

Waders were a huge plus last year when we worked in post flood areas. Insect spray was a MUST! We wore long sleeve clothes with face protection and lots of sunscreen.

It all depends on where you'll be deployed and what they expect from you.

Our Go-Pack includes water, food, boots, over night gear, generator, gas, power cords/strips.... and the list goes on.

I don't know the specific WiFi router and I don't think it matters. We've used so many different ones over the last few years in Emergency Services that I've never even looked. You just make sure your device is on the same WiFi as the viewing device and click AirPlay on your iPad. It's really that simple.

Reactions: tpallred
PPE would be mandated by the Incident Commander. They should have a list available ahead of time so you can supplement it to meet any specific needs/sizes.
I don't know the specific WiFi router and I don't think it matters. We've used so many different ones over the last few years in Emergency Services that I've never even looked. You just make sure your device is on the same WiFi as the viewing device and click AirPlay on your iPad. It's really that simple.

Thanks. What do the PC clients use to display the stream?

Thanks. What do the PC clients use to display the stream?

I don't know about PC (it would require a WiFi adapter) but on my laptop I use a program called (I'm going from memory here) LonelyScreen.

Reactions: tpallred
I don't know about PC (it would require q WiFi adapter) but on my laptop I use a program called (I'm going from memory here) LonelyScreen.

Maybe I should have said Windows clients. Laptop was what I was thinking but also non-Apple phones/tablets since I'm guessing the Apple ones could use Airplay. Sounds like if it's a non-Apple device (android/Windows) then there will have to be some viewer/mirror program downloaded on that device because there aren't built-in programs to capture the stream. I've found the free programs 5kplayer and Apowermirror to work as Windows clients so I guess all I need to do is decide on which travel wireless router to use. Thanks.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20