What you need to know before 1st flight on your P3A drone?

Reaction score
Hi to all members!!

I am all new to this, i am a new owner of a Phantom 3 Advanced and a new pilot as well.. A few tips from experienced users like you all are, could come in handy!!!

Thanks in (P3) Advance!!! :)

Hi to all members!!

I am all new to this, i am a new owner of a Phantom 3 Advanced and a new pilot as well.. A few tips from experienced users like you all are, could come in handy!!!

It sounds obvious but read the manual and don’t fly until you understand it.

Update all firmware.

Make first flights on a large flat field in beginner mode.

Experience flights in ATTI mode and understand all the modes.

Have fun [emoji16]

Reactions: Dts_Dimensions
I am a new owner of a Phantom 3 Advanced and a new pilot as well.. A few tips from experienced users like you all are, could come in handy!!!
You'll find that it's much easier to fly than you imagine.
It takes about 5 minutes to learn - but a lot of practice and experience to become proficient.
Don't let the simplicity make you get too adventurous too early.
There are many things that can go wrong and you need to understand what they are and how to make sure they don't happen to you.

Do your early flights in a large open area, well away from trees, buildings and obstacles.
Be afraid, very afraid of trees, buildings etc. They are involved in most incidents.

Read up on return to home procedures, practise using RTH and cancelling it so you understand how it works and how you can resume control in an RTH situation.
Never launch or land on a steel or reinforced concrete surface.
If flying in a strong wind situation, never fly away downwind.

Firstly congratulations for taking the time to learn and ask before you start, refreshing. There are many YouTube videos on learning how to set up, and learn to fly - I found watching many of those assisted the reading I did online, when I started. That said
- read the user manuals, really, till you understand them and ask here if there is anything that’s not clear.
- find and understand your local drone flight guidelines and laws, they are usually there for safety (yours and others, and their property).
- Learn how ‘Return to Home’ works, in theory then as part of your flight training, learn and practice using it. Too many pilots find out how it works the hard way, when something goes wrong..
Start gently, find a large open area with minimum wind and ideally no objects like trees etc, and practice - it’s remarkably easy to fly, so learning should be enjoyable.
Enjoy

I see Meta posted same time I did, hence overlap [emoji6]

But you both did excellently, as did Franky... all said:
1) read the manual
2) read the manual
3) read the manual

I'll add: Go slow at first. Get in too much of a hurry to see your bird fly "up and away" and you may have an actual FlyAway... or a crash!

As others have said, these things are easy to fly, especially compared to RC planes. I flew them as a kid with my dad, a national level competitor to this day. I haven't flown one for 40 or more years, but it's like riding a bike, except these almost fly themselves.

Learn the manual. Keep a digital version on your phone/tablet. YouTube videos do help, this forum as well as DJI's are very helpful, but RTFM!

Hi to all members!!

Welcome to the forum!

If you are interested, click here for some tips that I often share with new P3A/P3P owners.

Cheers!

Welcome to the forum!

If you are interested, click here for some tips that I often share with new P3A/P3P owners.

Cheers!
Oso,
Thanks for the post and link. I am a fairly new drone pilot and have a refurbished P3A on order from DJI...still waiting on its arrival. I have some experience flying a very cheap drone... and want to make a successful transition to the Phantom. I have read some of your tips and will finish all of it after dinner this evening. Thanks!

i am a new owner of a Phantom 3 Advanced and a new pilot as well.. A few tips from experienced users like you all are, could come in handy!
Here are some items you might find useful:

Thank you all for the valuable information! I did read the manual, actually I read it twice, to make sure I did understand everything!!! The truth is, before my first flight I did not try the return home function “how it works” and the other 2 modes. I only fly p-gps to be on the safe side and before each flight I perform compass calibration in situations that it doesn’t show correct the home point. This weekend the return home function will be tested for sure before I experience any surprises!!! What I see is that when I exceed 500m distance at approx 200m altitude my signal weakens by half in urban areas.. that’s something that made me worry yesterday and I returned to land immediately! Should I purchase a signal range extender, or a better antenna set?? If yes what would you recommend ?

Since you are asking for advice [emoji4]. You have said you are a new pilot, still learning I understand, so no in keeping with your correct ‘fly safe’ you should not be considering extenders at all, they do not enhance your, and others safety. My advice is to learn to fly Visual Line Of Sight (VLOS) only - 500m is already pushing this for many. 400 feet , which is 120 meters Above Ground Level, (AGL) is the HIGHEST most countries wish their pilots to fly. I obviously don’t know where you are flying, you said 200m though. A weakening signal is generally normal, the further one flies from RC, signal deterioration will progressively occur, up to a point where disconnection will occur (to be avoided), when/if this occurs AC will commence RTH settings as set by pilot in App (which may or may not be to return home).

Reactions: JoBe
Congrats.

Slow steps. Crawl, walk, run.

READ, as already mentioned. Know your bird before you take her out for first flights.

Find BIG empty field with little obstructions/interference from trees, high lines, houses/wireless, etc.

Begin with takeoffs/landings; Familiarization with controls. Beginner Mode and maintain over head heigth for safety. Fly forward 30 ft, backward 30ft; Fly sideways 30ft, left and right, Gain altitude 30ft, lose altitude back to starting point. Rotate left and right. You’re learning the movements of remote sticks to aircraft.

Now fly sideways left 30 ft; fly forward 30 ft; rotate drone right 90 degrees; fly forward 60 ft; rotate drone right 90 degrees; fly forward 30 ft; rotate drone right 90 degrees and fly home. You;ve completed your first rectangular pattern. As you become more proficient you can begin ‘rounding’ the corners with coordinated turns and begin flying circular patterns and figure 8’s.

Do this over and over until your comfortable knowing the controls. Then move on to other things. Know the RTH and Smart RTH procedures, just in case. Always go thru each setting in the app before takeoff. Watch and monitor weather; wind/rain. I use a landing pad or table, if its not too windy, for takeoffs/landings. Don’t want to stick that camera in the grass/dirt as the motors will stir dust up. You’ll know when your’re ready to venture farther. And again, Congrats and enjoy.

Reactions: JoBe

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl