What would you keep?

Reaction score
I purchased a brand new Phantom 4 for $566 and a brand new Phantom 4 Advanced for $921, both prices are after sales tax.I know, great deals! :) I am trying to decide if the Phantom 4 Advanced is worth the $355 difference for the camera. The only other thing I would be giving up would be the smaller capacity battery which does not concern me. I usually shoot video at 3840x2160 (4K) 30fps. For images I use the AEB setting the most. Sometimes I have a hard time telling the difference in quality unless I zoom in on the image. Keep the Phantom 4 regular to hold me over until the Phantom 5 comes out? Thoughts? Thanks!

Last edited:
The P4A is your best bet IMO, especially if the craft has the older 1.3.509 firmware loaded from last May. If it does, keep that firmware and don't upgrade.
The GL300C controller is weak when linked with a P4. That same controller comes with the P4A. Hopefully when linked with a P4A the power is boosted a little more.

DJI controllers are programmed to deliver various levels of RF power based on the model craft connected, and launch location. I was very disappointed with my P4's RF power compared to my P3P. As a result I use an Inspire GL658A controller with my P4 to get decent range.

Last edited:
Reactions: KevMo Photog
The P4A is your best bet IMO, especially if the craft has the older 1.3.509 firmware loaded from last May. If it does, keep that firmware and don't upgrade.
The GL300C controller is weak when linked with a P4. That same controller comes with the P4A. Hopefully when linked with a P4A the power is boosted a little more.

DJI controllers are programmed to deliver various levels of RF power based on the model craft connected, and launch location. I was very disappointed with my P4's RF power compared to my P3P. As a result I use an Inspire GL658A controller with my P4 to get decent range.

I have flown 3 miles out on a P4 transmitter, so I don't know what issues you have. I run into battery life issues before I run into distance issues.

As far as pricing, I've seen used P4 Pros for $1,000 with multiple batteries and low flight times, and the P4A for $869 refurbished with free shipping and no tax, so I wouldn't say that the P4A is all that good of a deal. If I were spending that close to $1,000, I'd rather have the Pro, even if it were used.

So, I'd choose option C: sell them both for a profit and buy a P4 Pro.

Where did you get a p4 for 566?
Micro Center had them for $599 recently. I had a discount and coupon that brought it down to $533 plus tax it came out to $566. I would say that was a pretty good deal! :) I'm leaning toward keeping it as a backup. I probably wouldn't lose much or break even selling it used.

Micro Center had them for $599 recently. I had a discount and coupon that brought it down to $533 plus tax it came out to $566. I would say that was a pretty good deal! :) I'm leaning toward keeping it as a backup. I probably wouldn't lose much or break even selling it used.

Wow that is great!

Wow they keep getting cheaper. I wonder if there was a big glut of Phantom 4 units. Its weird that the P4 are still in stock I wonder if DJI overproduced. I have 3 myself prices are too good to pass up. My P4P I was able to get for 1240 USD. If they go to 600 in the future I am buying a P4P spare :)

Reactions: BucksDrones

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spaz_12