What would you do?

3eafee1cb05ad772cde0e5d4fa1104a0.jpg

Smotz regularly fly amongst trees. Just monitor via you screen and as per above hover RTH. Mind you, now that everybody says there's a potential problem I'll probably end up in the tallest tree.

This may prove to be a very bad idea. In a lost signal situation the AC will hover where it is untill autolanding at critical battery (if signal isn't restored). It does not fly home.

This is only true if you have it set to hover on lost signal. You can also set it to RTH on lost signal. I have mine set this way, and it's never failed to return to home. The only thing to be careful of, especially with tall trees all around, is it probably won't land exactly on the home spot. When it starts to auto land, cancel RTH, point the camera straight down so you can see what's directly underneath it, and bring it down manually. Also make sure your RTH altitude is set 20 feet or more above the height of the trees or it will blindly fly right into them. Be confident, use common sense, and have fun!

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
This is only true if you have it set to hover on lost signal. You can also set it to RTH on lost signal. I have mine set this way, and it's never failed to return to home. The only thing to be careful of, especially with tall trees all around, is it probably won't land exactly on the home spot. When it starts to auto land, cancel RTH, point the camera straight down so you can see what's directly underneath it, and bring it down manually. Also make sure your RTH altitude is set 20 feet or more above the height of the trees or it will blindly fly right into them. Be confident, use common sense, and have fun!
Yes, A setting of RTH on lost signal will provide that the AC attempts to return to the recorded homepoint, that's why I suggested it as the likely better setting in these circumstances for the reason stated when I responded to @Neon Euc.

Pick another if your not experienced enough to know immediately you can handle flying there

Above the trees. Set proper RTH altitude. E.g. Above the trees and fly the crap out of it. If you are worried about an inaccurate RTH landing don't ... when it gets close and reestablishes connection cancel the RTH and continue flying. Just watch the green light on the TX.. Green means go.

Reactions: Smotz
RTH is RTH, it will return home if that function is triggered. There is no Hover option for RTH.
However RTH and Hover are two of the three options for fail-safe, which is what to do when signal is lost for too long of a time.
RTH is the best option as you can cancel once it's back in range. The only problem is if you are below RTH height setting and you lose signal while under a tree canopy. If that's more likely to be the case then set to hover and start heading out in the direction it was going before signal loss.
Even with fail-safe set to hover, until fail-safe is triggered, it will keep on going on its last commanded heading which could be a problem if during those few seconds it was heading towards an obstacle you were planning to maneuver around had you not lost signal.

Reactions: deltamike and Smotz
I would create threads with a more descriptive subject title so that people reading digests know what it is about (so we don't have to open it and read it to discover if the thread is of interest to us). That's what the title is all about.

Example: "Is this too tight a location to take off from?"

Obligatory Reply: In general, most of us could take off from there are get above the trees no problem. However, it's not an ideal location for safety reasons when you consider how RTH works. If you have full control on your return flight, it should be as easy as it was taking off, but if there are any other problems (loss of signal, battery failure, etc.), you don't want all the trees around.

The other concern (in case nobody has mentioned it) is lack of Visual Line Of Sight. Forgetting the arguments that the FAA wants us to always have VLOS, this is something you kind of want at least when a returning craft is returning home and you want to catch site of it. Waiting for it to get over that tiny patch of sky is just poor flying.

Chris

In a log home in the middle of hundred acres hundred plus foot trees, Biggest problem for me is Taking off and not drifting into trees in atti mode until I can get six satellites hovering 100 foot height in a 50 by 50 foot opening. Until satellite lock, we have no rth. THEN a gps mission can be initiated here.

I have the same situation. I get above them, and then head out. I own 40 acres of land and have two fields to use for nice open, unobstructed contact with the quad. Just get above them and have at it.

I would create threads with a more descriptive subject title so that people reading digests know what it is about (so we don't have to open it and read it to discover if the thread is of interest to us). That's what the title is all about.

Example: "Is this too tight a location to take off from?"

Obligatory Reply: In general, most of us could take off from there are get above the trees no problem. However, it's not an ideal location for safety reasons when you consider how RTH works. If you have full control on your return flight, it should be as easy as it was taking off, but if there are any other problems (loss of signal, battery failure, etc.), you don't want all the trees around.

The other concern (in case nobody has mentioned it) is lack of Visual Line Of Sight. Forgetting the arguments that the FAA wants us to always have VLOS, this is something you kind of want at least when a returning craft is returning home and you want to catch site of it. Waiting for it to get over that tiny patch of sky is just poor flying.

Chris
Really? Is that whats troubling you? My title...?? I suspect it may be other things..

Here is my driveway view and the tree line.
Would you take her straight up over the trees then out?

Or is this just a bad place to fly?

Depends on your skill level. If you have better options, I would try those first. If you have trouble with the drone (birds, loss of signal, RTH, etc, your options for a safe recovery are limited. I always like to think of a worse case scenario when I am flying and anticipate what I would do, if that helps

Yes, A setting of RTH on lost signal will provide that the AC attempts to return to the recorded homepoint, that's why I suggested it as the likely better setting in these circumstances for the reason stated when I responded to @Neon Euc.

After re-reading Neon's post, I see the point you were making, but you didn't suggest using RTH.

Smotz,Hawkwind here.I agree with tevek. I have a plethora of trees in my driveway. Just go for it. Do all your preflight checks.Make sure you establish your home point. Make sure when you set your drone down for take off,look straight up to make sure when you do go straight up you have a clear shot. I recently lost all signals on my controller from the drone and and was over 4000ft out. The RTH feature saved the day.When I heard it coming over the house I manually took control and retrieved the bird.

It would be fine to fly there as long as you're flying above the trees and the trees never completely block the signal between the remote controller and Phantom.

What he said...

For my commercial work, I've successfully done a lot of flying over and around trees and power lines...sometimes both together at different heights.

IMPO msinger's post is probably your best advice. However, understand (...as I think may have been mentioned earlier) that when those leaves fill in, your visual line of sight (VLOS) will degrade dramatically. You can still get above the trees, but you'll have to ascend about 300' AGL to go any distance and maintain contact with the transmitter.

I totally agree with your assessment.I did neglect to mention that the P4 was 393ft high.You definitely are correct that to maintain the strongest signal possible under the aforementioned conditions; the higher the bird the longer you should maintain signal strength.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164