What to do with another aircraft in the area

If you would have not interjected your imagination and lack of commercial aviation you wouldnt have wasted so much time typing gibberish. Any time an aircraft takes damage doe to any kind of strike it is grounded for evaluation and repair. I never said it caused a crash. I never mentioned anything about catastrophic failures of equipment.
I read the words you choose to use, specifically 'take down' and I misinterpreted what you meant. When I was flying professionally, we would refer to a plane which was not able to fly due to airworthiness issues as being grounded. We did this because the phrase take down meant something entirely different to us i.e. if someone or something took your plane down, it was likely not going to be a survivable event. Whereas if someone or something caused your plane to be grounded, it just meant you weren't going to be working that day which meant you bought the beers and got the bbq going for when the rest of us working stiffs got back from flying our day. Obviously in your area of expertise that phrase means something much more benign than it does in mine. My apologies for the misunderstanding sir.

There has been a warning issued to a member of this forum because of recent activity in this thread. Let's keep it cordial, please...

-slinger

Reactions: dirkclod
its scary when it happens! i put my self into a VRS when descending too quickly. this was right after the incident where the guy crashed his phantom into the white house lawn, i thought they may have tried to down me with a RF gun. haha! the police helicopter pilot was coincidentally a phantom 2 owner as well, and dismissed my suspicion. seems like the camera is always between video and stills when this stuff happens, the other day someone was lighting off fireworks just as turned video off to take stills :(

blank stare.png
....................Ahaaa..that Q500 post got me kinda lost here :eek:
What did I miss !

Reactions: Clampit
I feel about the Q500M the same way I feel about a double burger with cheese: They're different topics.

(Hold the pickle.)

I feel about the Q500M the same way I feel about a double burger with cheese: They're different topics.

(Hold the pickle.)
OK ..:). I would haver guessed Clipper ! Really wasn't asking how you feel about it but just what I had missed o_O

Last edited:
Do I get salad with that ..... ?

Reactions: dirkclod
When I did my flight exam for my Permission for Aerial work you're told to descend and give full right or left stick depending what's around you.
You're Phantom will come down a lot quicker than trying to fly straight down into it's own little air vortex.
Also if there's trees around then fly towards them as the heli pilot will definitely be looking avoid them.

Reactions: Ti22
FWIW, getting back on topic somewhat... one of the reasons i have enabled manual mode on my phantom is faster descents. So no need to do a full motor shutdown... flip into manual mode, pitch/roll to the desired direction to get some horizontal speed to reduce VRS and then drop the throttle. Fall like a rock for a second or two and then flip it back to atti mode to help get it back to level and throttle the sucker WAY up to slow down. I've practiced this a few times and seems to work. Don't even have to go crazy and actually freefall since manual mode will allow you to descend at whatever speed you like, just with no autopilot attitude corrections.

Reactions: Steve Moore
Absolutely! A bird strike CAN take down a 747. They take down small fixed wind and rotor-wing aircraft all the time. ...

I can't help but feel that if that was the case, we'd hear a lot more about it.
Aircraft coming down is quite rare given total number of flights, and a google search for bird strike damage shows plenty of times a bird has hit and made a mess, but apart from perhaps "taking down" a plane in the form of forcing it to turn back to the airport and doing a controlled landing after receiving damage, I can't find too many instances of genuine bird strike causing the catastrophic form of taking down planes or choppers.

Having seen how fragile these Phantoms are to even just a fall from a few feet, I imagine propellers or rotor blades on full size aircraft are going to slice through one of these things like a hot knife through butter. It's not like props and rotors are made out of balsa wood, they're designed for millions of faultless rotations and surviving huge centrifugal forces, and almost certainly bird impacts are generally factored into designs as well, so I tend to side with the quote I've seen going around from someone in the military drone world, that said something along the lines of the result is minimal on the aircraft, and the drone destroyed. Mind you, I imagine even the tiniest dent on the blade of a Bell Jetranger, probably costs a crap load more than I'm ever going to be able to pay, so I'll drop my bird with a CSC even if that destroys it, before I'll risk being hit by a full size aircraft of any sort. Either way the phantom would be toast, but the bill will be a lot smaller if it hits the ground rather than an aircraft.

EDIT: Just found this:
"Nearly 500 planes have been damaged by collisions with birds since 2000, according to the Federal Aviation Administration. Some 166 of those planes had to make emergency landings."
15 years, and only 166 planes had to make emergency landings, and most of those seem to have had MULTIPLE strikes, in that they hit a flock, or in one unlucky case, two birds but managed to take out both engines at the same time.
11 a year might seem like a lot, but given how many flights there are per year, it's a percentage that is microscopic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hughie

BUZZZZZZZ WRONG!!!
Those are google images showing damage to aircraft, and a million miles from your claim that a bird can bring down a 747.
The vast majority of those images are nothing more than a dent, broken glass, and smeared bird remains, they're a very far cry from a smoking crater caused by "taking down a plane" and even worse, if you follow the image links, even many of the "smoking crater" images turn out to have been shot down in warzones and had nothing to do with a bird at all.
A Google image search is nothing like verified crash data showing a bird caused a plane crash.
There's a huge difference between damaging a plane, and "taking one down"
Your statement still fails to hold any weight.

The possibility drone can take down an airliner is there. The probability is minimal, but verified crash data showing a bird caused a plane to crash may not apply to drones.

One of the mods pointed out in another thread that nobody here is qualified enough to know how a drone-strike will affect an aircraft.

We're speculating, pure and simple.

Reactions: Ezookiel
I'd read that before, so I skipped down to the comments and laughed out loud at the first one.

"What if I tape a 12 inch long titanium bar to my drone?"

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj