What to do with another aircraft in the area

LOL!!!!! Being new to this game (one flight and waiting on repair parts) I would think the best course of action would be land or at least drop to a low altitude. Just my 2 cents worth.
Although you should bear in mind that if you are limited to 2 or 3m/s maximum decent rate, you may not have that option.

While I was flying recently (I was under the 400' recommended ceiling) I encountered a helicopter - I believe it was a Medivac helicopter - that had a flight path that somewhat intersected with where my copter was. I immediately increased altitude to ensure enough of a buffer between the helicopter and my Phantom but I was wondering what is the best course of action for situations like this? I know some aircrafts are equipped with crash avoidance systems and it will notify one pilot to pull up and the other to descend but obviously we don't have that available to us. I'd especially love hear from airman.
The responsible thing to do? Land immediately...

if decending isn't possible the correct procedure is to fly to the right of the oncoming aircraft (according to the local FAA office).I had an experience with a local police helicopter in albuquerque, came from behind some trees flying really low (~ 300 ft) directly in my flight path, wish i was recording ;) thank god i was able to get to a low altitude before a collision , i spoke to the pilot after calling the police, turns out they just couldn't see me. after discussing, he mentioned it happens all the time with birds of the avian variety;)

Civil Aviation Authority in New Zealand require you to "give way to all crewed aircraft". Which means moving out of their way. You would do this by moving sideways because it's hard to judge your height relative to another aircraft from the ground but you can easily guage your sideways alignment with another aircraft.

I just call dibs on the airspace. Make them move.
That is a very foolish attitude, full scale aircraft ALWAYS HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY. Although a drone is small in size, you could definitely FOD out a turbine engine or cause enough damage to a rotor or prop system that it would make it dangerous to people's lives. Please fly smart and ALWAYS give the right of way to full scale aircraft.

So here is a question... if you are up high and CSC, has anyone every heard of anyone being able to fire it back up and get control before crashing? I would think in theory, the gyro should kick in once the props are spinning again and try to level itself?? Before anyone says anything... NO, I am not going to try it :)

Before anyone says anything... NO, I am not going to try it :)

Your last sentence eliminated a lot of predictable responses. Smart to do that.

I would like to see the mythical CSC shutdown and restart. I think someone smarter than me on the forum here did the math about freefall velocity and start-up and recovery times. I'd love to see video if anybody has actually done this, win or fail.

And no, I'm not trying it either.

Absolutely! A bird strike CAN take down a 747. They take down small fixed wind and rotor-wing aircraft all the time.
All the time? I searched the NTSB database which has thousands of reports and found about 5 reports of birds taking down aircraft. I think its much more accurate to say that birds can sometimes take down small aircraft but its actually very rare. Also in almost all of the reports I found, the bird in question was typically 10lbs or more. A phantom weighs about 2 lbs. .

Would a phantom damage an aircraft if they collided? I'm sure it would leave a mark or a dent. Could a phantom bring a small aircraft down? I suppose its possible but although also very unlikely. Its doubtful something that light could damage the wing or tail enough to cause control issues. Its also doubtful something that light would make it through the windscreen. I've taken small >5lb birds in the windscreen more than once. They barely leave a mark. Yep, a phantom is plastic and metal instead of meat. But I just don't think there's enough weight, mass or speed to penetrate a typical light aircraft windscreen with any amount of force.

Don't get me wrong. Any damage, no matter how slight increases risk for those in the airplane so every Phantom pilot should take every precaution and avoid flying in close proximity of other aircraft at all cost. But small aircraft are most certainly not falling out of the sky every other day (or even every other year) due to bird strikes and it would take an extremely well placed hit for any 2lb slow moving object to down a typical general aviation aircraft IMO.

Reactions: Ezookiel
If you would have not interjected your imagination and lack of commercial aviation you wouldnt have wasted so much time typing gibberish. Any time an aircraft takes damage doe to any kind of strike it is grounded for evaluation and repair. I never said it caused a crash. I never mentioned anything about catastrophic failures of equipment.

That is a very foolish attitude, full scale aircraft ALWAYS HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY. Although a drone is small in size, you could definitely FOD out a turbine engine or cause enough damage to a rotor or prop system that it would make it dangerous to people's lives. Please fly smart and ALWAYS give the right of way to full scale aircraft.

I don't care. my airspace GETS TO STEPPIN!

It's obvious you don't care, but individuals with attitudes like yours affect the whole community.

Can someone translate "gets to steppin?"
Goggled for ya bro :cool:
gets ta steppin'
(Gets to stepping)

Get out of here- leave the premises.
Kindly remove yourselves.
I'm tired of your worthless *** eating up all my Pringles- you better gets ta steppin'.

This Club done closed up half and hour ago- y'all better gets ta steppin'.

Thanks, Dirk! By the way, what language is that?

Reactions: dirkclod
It's obvious you don't care, but individuals with attitudes like yours affect the whole community.

Can someone translate "gets to steppin?"
hey did you hear that? I think someone posted a video and it wasn't in the video section!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
facebookhq.jpg

took this today, 647ft high, had a helicopter fly below me OMG CALL THE FAA!!!!!!!!! facebooks living roof on the new headquarters and old headquarters top right.

Cool photo, by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Hughie
Civil Aviation Authority in New Zealand require you to "give way to all crewed aircraft". Which means moving out of their way. You would do this by moving sideways because it's hard to judge your height relative to another aircraft from the ground but you can easily guage your sideways alignment with another aircraft.
"Easily" ?? Not true. If both aircraft are on a heading towards or away from the UAV pilot then possibly. But if one or the other is flying across the pilot's FOV, I think you might have problems with than manoeuvre.

Rotor craft are more susceptible to any kind of airborne strikes compared to fixed wing period. If a helicopter takes a strike from a phantom head on, it's most likely coming down immediately whether it be a controlled landing (turbines still making power) or full power down auto-rotate (turbines FOD'ed out), unless it's a skid strike then it may be considered a "land when practical" situation. I know it's unlikely the two colliding, but with the ease of ownership, lowering prices and idiot UAV pilots flying above the FAA designated ceiling, then the unlikeliness of it happening begins to diminish. I just hope it's not my aircraft, because if I survive, let alone the rough group of people I fly, there will be hell to pay.

Sorry for the rant, I truly believe in responsible ownership and piloting and don't understand the ignorance and airspace entitlement of some people.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub