What to do with another aircraft in the area

Another better example.. Ignoring the obvious massive damage variable, how many planes? How many UAVs, and how many thousands of square miles are there in the sand box, yet AUVs still get hit.
http://defensetech.org/2011/08/17/midair-collision-between-a-c-130-and-a-uav/
A Small military UAV is only small compared to a multi-ton C-130. The RQ-7A military drone in your "example" is just over 11 feet long with a wingspan of nearly 13 feet and a height of three feet. The system weighs in at roughly 165lbs empty and 328lbs with a maximum payload. [cite]

To say that this is an analog to the damage a three pound Phantom can do is a remarkable stretch of the paranoid imagination.

Reactions: Ezookiel
Good job in consistency! Ignorance is bliss!!
As I clearly said.."Another better example.. Ignoring the obvious massive damage variable"

Anything else you would like to try to argue?

Well aside for the possibility of a collision the consensus seems to be to reduce altitude. I started this thread not to provoke arguments about collisions but rather to determine what a pilot of a manned aircraft would expect from a drone pilot should there be a situation where the two crafts have intersecting courses. I personally think it would be great if the FAA (for the USA UAS operators) would create some guidelines about what to do in cases like this. Undoubtedly as this hobby becomes more popular and the skies begin to be a bit more congested, there should be some set recommendations between UAS and manned operators to ensure safe flying.

Well aside for the possibility of a collision the consensus seems to be to reduce altitude. I started this thread not to provoke arguments about collisions but rather to determine what a pilot of a manned aircraft would expect from a drone pilot should there be a situation where the two crafts have intersecting courses. I personally think it would be great if the FAA (for the USA UAS operators) would create some guidelines about what to do in cases like this. Undoubtedly as this hobby becomes more popular and the skies begin to be a bit more congested, there should be some set recommendations between UAS and manned operators to ensure safe flying.
Oh you didn't provoke nothing Joe :) We argue about anything ! Just start a thread on prop guards and watch what happens :D
I don't know what will come of all of this but if I see something where I might be an issue I am going to do whatever it takes to get out of the
way ! Drop like a rock or whatever .;)

Reactions: Mal_PV2_Ireland
I personally think it would be great if the FAA (for the USA UAS operators) would create some guidelines about what to do in cases like this. Undoubtedly as this hobby becomes more popular and the skies begin to be a bit more congested, there should be some set recommendations between UAS and manned operators to ensure safe flying.

There are already guidelines. The FAA recognizes the Academy of Model Aeronautics as the community based standard bearer and defer to their guidelines. Unfortunately the AMA is somewhat hostile to drones and if you follow their guidelines, this is where you can fly:
Desert-450x232.jpg

Yes, I am a member of the AMA. I recommend that you join the AMA even if you find their drone guidelines to be unworkable, their insurance umbrella is worth the cost of membership.

The FAA has already said what you should do in this situation in the discussion of the Part 107 NPRM:

iii. Yielding right of way
Now that we have discussed how a small UAS operator sees other users of the NAS, we turn to how that operator avoids those users. In aviation, this is accomplished through right-of-way rules, which pilots are required to follow when encountering other aircraft. These rules specify how pilots should respond to other NAS users based on the types of aircraft or the operational scenario.

The operation of small UAS presents challenges to the application of the traditional right-of-way rules. The smaller visual profile of the small unmanned aircraft makes it difficult for manned pilots to see and, therefore, avoid the unmanned aircraft. This risk is further compounded by the difference in speed between manned aircraft and the often slower small unmanned aircraft. Because of these challenges, the FAA proposes to require, in § 107.37(a)(2), that the small UAS operator must always be the one to initiate an avoidance maneuver to avoid collision with any other user of the NAS. Optimally, the small UAS operator should give right-of-way to all manned aircraft in such a manner that the manned aircraft is never presented with a see-and-avoid decision or the impression that it must maneuver to avoid the small UAS.

When a small UAS operator encounters another unmanned aircraft, each operator must exercise his or her discretion to avoid a collision between the aircraft. In extreme situations where collision is imminent, the small UAS operator must always consider the safety of people, first and foremost, over the value of any equipment, even if it means the loss of the unmanned aircraft. To further mitigate the risk of a mid-air collision, the FAA also proposes to codify, in § 107.37(b), the existing requirement in 14 CFR 91.111(a), which prohibits a person from operating an aircraft so close to another aircraft as to create a collision hazard.​

In other words, the FAA would prefer that you crash your drone to the ground.

Last edited:
........... At the end of the day, and back to the OP, the ONLY option in a potential interaction with a real aircraft is to get DOWN out of the sky, out of its way.
I agree with this completely. Yield to the manned aircraft. Pretty. Darned. Simple. Descend and land. No hysterics, no "the sky is falling", no doom and gloom imagined scenarios, just a little common sense without any drama. Gee, who'd a thunk it?!

I guess I worry a lot more about running into a large bird that I can't hear or see coming than an aircraft that I can. I shot some video in the national forest last weekend and it wasn't until I was looking at the video at home later that I saw several large birds -- crows, eagles and ospreys, flash through the frame not very far away.

Reactions: Ezookiel
I guess I worry a lot more about running into a large bird that I can't hear or see coming than an aircraft that I can. I shot some video in the national forest last weekend and it wasn't until I was looking at the video at home later that I saw several large birds -- crows, eagles and ospreys, flash through the frame not very far away.

Most birds are smarter and more dexterous than your drone. If they want to mess with it, they will. Otherwise, they'll be able to avoid it.

Most birds are smarter and more dexterous than your drone. If they want to mess with it, they will. Otherwise, they'll be able to avoid it.
That's what worries me. Those birds have nests and young in the area and it's not always apparent where. They might see the Phantom as a threat.

I know, just don't fly there.:(

The only people in this argument that have any credence are real pilots imho. Especially pilots of smaller aircraft and helicopters because these are the ones that have the most to lose from a single bird or drone strike and are the ones most likely to be flying low in an unexpected area to us and they have all the rights of way, we simply do not. I will listen to anything they have to say rather than listen to armchair Internet experts. When it comes to larger passenger planes, well again imho if you come even close to colliding with one you deserve a jail term because you should be nowhere near them, no excuse.

Reactions: dirkclod
I agree with this completely. Yield to the manned aircraft. Pretty. Darned. Simple. Descend and land. No hysterics, no "the sky is falling", no doom and gloom imagined scenarios, just a little common sense without any drama. Gee, who'd a thunk it?!

I completely agree that avoidance should fall on the shoulders of the UAS operator I just wasn't sure what the SOP for said avoidance is. One could argue that avoidance could mean climb to avoid (that was my thought when this occurred because I was still getting out of the way but wouldn't risk the possibility of hitting into trees by descending). Now I know that avoidance means descend.

I was reading this post in the morning before flying and in the after noon I had the same situation.

I was flying over water using FPV, I had a guy with me who was helping me luckily. Flying approx 100m I heard a helicopter in the area, and following the advice of this post i started to descend asap. Only for a few seconds my friend spotted the helicopter heading for us so I changed direction and headed back out over the water and increased hieght by the time the helicopter passed over my head i was about 180 m and quite far away. ill try and attach two screen grabs from my video so you can see his altitude.
He couldn't have been flying at more than 25m altitude.
I wouldn't want to give any advice because I'm not experienced enough in this situation but it would be make a decision about what you will do and don't change it, stay predictable.
I don't want to be part of the damage/no damage argument but if my quad had hit this helicopter and damaged it, it could have brought it down on a property, on top of me in the drink, all bad ideas

Attachments

• helicopter before.jpg
    helicopter before.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 302
  • helipcopter after .jpg
    helipcopter after .jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 311
Reactions: Mal_PV2_Ireland
Get out of the way, the manned aircraft has priority. Descend... No need to crash though, I don't think the heli is going to pull over to exchange insurance details.. ! :)

For purely selfish reasons, if I hear anything in the air I will go down. I've already lost a bird.. don't wanna lose another one. Potential damage to a plane if it hits a quadcopter? minimal to none. A low flying plane went over us yesterday and I just moved gently to the left as it approached.... went back to filming after that.

I have been on both sides of this discussion. Flying Bell Jet rangers in both the 1/13th and full size version. My advice would be to descend in possible, but absolutely move away from the aircraft. I will climb and turn right, if I have clear airspace, when I feel the need arises. So keep that in mind. Altitude is life, it gives me options, and if I'm competing for it with a UAV it limits my options.
Another note worth mentioning, limit height in foul weather as in line of sight. Sometimes on approach during an IFR flight I am well under 400'.
Finally, a mid air between an UAV and helicopter has the potential to become fatal. It's mostly plastic, but the plastic alone striking the aircraft can send pieces of FOD through the engine or hit the tail rotor causing loss of effectiveness and all sorts of bad things let alone the battery moving at 120 knots through the thin layer of polycarbonate in front of me.
I have personally never been in a situation with a personal UAV nor anyone I work with. It's not that common here. Yet.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl