Evasive Maneuvers - What would you do?

I doubt I could see a drone that is "miles away".
Not the drone, but the other drone pilot...you and the other drone pilot can't see each other or communicate with each other, but you can see their drone either in person or on the FPV. How do you deal with their drone in that case?

Maybe you should read it again - it's a direct quote

And that's exactly why I added that most other countries have similar because I know you are not in FAA land just like many others here.
It's not about correcting you - it's about correcting the very common mistaken belief that planes shouldn't be below 500 feet.

I made no claims of any kind. I made a vague statement that suggested/acknowledged that some people may think an aircraft shouldn't be in their airspace at all!

Your response was kind of overkill and doesn't add value to the main topic of this conversation.

If you had taken the time to search, you'd find that there are already many posts correcting people's misconception on this exact issue. Your post brings nothing new to the table. (LOL - it brought me so much joy to type that.)

I tried to make it clear that this is not about the rules or who is breaking them. It's about a specific situation and it's completely irrelevant how it came to be.

Not the drone, but the other drone pilot...you and the other drone pilot can't see each other or communicate with each other, but you can see their drone either in person or on the FPV. How do you deal with their drone in that case?
Gotcha. I'm pretty sure I would stay on the ground at that point, enjoy watching a fellow pilot fly.

Gotcha. I'm pretty sure I would stay on the ground at that point, enjoy watching a fellow pilot fly.
That's the way I felt when the 6 fan powered parasailers took over the beach head! Would have been cool aerial video, but too risky!

I'm likely to be flying considerably lower than 400' so the action that takes the least computational effort is to drop in altitude. Agree though that's it's a thought provoking question to which there probably isn't a defacto right answer.

What I would say is that we do get search and rescue helicopters flying low over us, I live on the coast, so it's not unusual to hear (more than see) activity above us. The other day a cesna or similar aircraft also flew over us real low. I'd say somewhere close to 400'. I've never seen that before, normally fixed wings are way up in the various airways.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Way off topic, but those flying machines are "powered paragliders". Parasails are those lame things pulled by a boat. And they're not fans, they're two stroke engines with regular propellers. I used to have one- tons of fun. In actuality, under most conditions, they fly much slower than Phantoms. If they're heading into a stiff breeze, they'll fly backwards, making them among the most impractical of flying machines, except for the fun factor.

For the US at least, the FAA's rules follow the principle of "see and avoid," i.e. pilots have the ultimate responsibility not to run into each other, but there are general guidelines on avoidance; head-on traffic should bail to the right, some aircraft have precedence over others, and so on.

My hope is that as UASs become more popular and pilots are trained on their behavior, those who for any reason are flying below the typical 500ft limit will be more aware of the possibility of unmanned aircraft in the same space.

edit: either that or somebody will come up with a small enough TCAS and/or Mode C transponder that can fit in a Phantom without draining the battery in 30 seconds flat.

Way off topic, but those flying machines are "powered paragliders". Parasails are those lame things pulled by a boat. And they're not fans, they're two stroke engines with regular propellers. I used to have one- tons of fun. In actuality, under most conditions, they fly much slower than Phantoms. If they're heading into a stiff breeze, they'll fly backwards, making them among the most impractical of flying machines, except for the fun factor.
Thanks for the clarification and education. They were fascinating to watch through binoculars, while they kept my bird grounded. Do they require any license and what does a setup like that cost?

For the US at least, the FAA's rules follow the principle of "see and avoid," i.e. pilots have the ultimate responsibility not to run into each other, but there are general guidelines on avoidance; head-on traffic should bail to the right, some aircraft have precedence over others, and so on.

My hope is that as UASs become more popular and pilots are trained on their behavior, those who for any reason are flying below the typical 500ft limit will be more aware of the possibility of unmanned aircraft in the same space.

edit: either that or somebody will come up with a small enough TCAS and/or Mode C transponder that can fit in a Phantom without draining the battery in 30 seconds flat.
Good to know about the bailing to the right when head-on, as long as the other guy is also following the same tactic, which may be doubtful if it's another drone pilot!

Thanks for the clarification and education. They were fascinating to watch through binoculars, while they kept my bird grounded. Do they require any license and what does a setup like that cost?

No license or registration because they're classified ultralights. Ultralights have a few restrictions however. About FAA Part 103 for Ultralights | EAA
Cost wise they're comparable to motorcycles. There really is nothing like foot launching off of flat ground. They're probably the safest mode of flying ever conceived: redundant lines from canopy to harness, and if the engine quits, they just glide down, amhik. Whereas unpowered paragliders rely on dynamic, unstable air to stay aloft, ppg can be flown in calmer air. The number one rules: always fly over where you can land if the engine quits. again, amhik.:)

Killing the power with CSC drops your craft like a rock. I'd take my chances with a small object falling out of the sky vs. causing a manned aircraft to crash.. I'd happily sacrifice my drone.

There's nothing to see above 400 feet. I would keep my craft 300 and below just keep it safe.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

No license or registration because they're classified ultralights. Ultralights have a few restrictions however. About FAA Part 103 for Ultralights | EAA
Cost wise they're comparable to motorcycles. There really is nothing like foot launching off of flat ground. They're probably the safest mode of flying ever conceived: redundant lines from canopy to harness, and if the engine quits, they just glide down, amhik. Whereas unpowered paragliders rely on dynamic, unstable air to stay aloft, ppg can be flown in calmer air. The number one rules: always fly over where you can land if the engine quits. again, amhik.:)
Sounds like fun! Thanks for the link. Do tell, though, about your PPG mishap! At least you are alive to share it! :cool:

Down... Down ... Down. To be completely honest I think the likelihood of an unintentional collision is extremely small. To miss a glider you need to move maybe 4ft. Small aircraft 6 feet. It's not like a car crash where all cars are on the same plane

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I live in Charlotte,North Carolina and the Natural Gas Company flies below 500 feet it seems like all the time.They are checking along the pipeline to see if any grass or weeds are Brown. No problem for me because I am in the No Fly Zone. But then so are they.

Sounds like fun! Thanks for the link. Do tell, though, about your PPG mishap! At least you are alive to share it! :cool:
Had the engine quit on me a number of times with no drama, however, on one flight I **** near bought it. I wanted to land in the small field in which I had taken off. But I came in too high and decided to go around. Right after I crossed over some power lines my engine quit and I landed in a cornfield. If the engine had quit a few second earlier I would have hit the lines. Absolutely stupid pilot error. I should have been much higher before I crossed over the lines.I was lucky.

Immediate "Down and to the Right" and then I would scream like a little girl and then...
run-away_monty-python.png

Down and rivht. Also, call local airport to report possible violation. Of airspace rules. They probably have a waiver for their flights just like we can get waivers for ours.

Well the drone has a slow speed descending so best to go into sports mode and fly away from the aircraft's flight path.

I would suppose that as with full size flying both pilots would make a descending right turn. Even if another aircraft does not see your UAV, I'd still break right and descend if possible.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl