What to do with another aircraft in the area

As most have said, it's your job to get out of his way. Descend and stay clear. UAVs must give way to manned aircraft.

Reactions: MDR
To all you pilots... What's the outcome of a phantom and a heli or passenger airliner collision???
Aircraft could have anything from no damage to a catastrophic outcome. Phantom owner will experience serious repercussions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aircraft could have anything from no damage to a catastrophic outcome. Phantom owner will experience serious repercussions.
Now there is fear mongering..... and then there is fear mongering.

Yes it the onus is on the UAV pilot to sense and avoid. However if a UAV pilot is flying within all regulations and laws and diligently does his utmost to sense and avoid but is unable to for some reason, then the assertion "Phantom owner will experiemce serious repercussions" is complete bollocks.

Now there is fear mongering..... and then there is fear mongering.

Yes it the onus is on the UAV pilot to sense and avoid. However if a UAV pilot is flying within all regulations and laws and diligently does his utmost to sense and avoid but is unable to for some reason, then the assertion "Phantom owner will experiemce serious repercussions" is complete bollocks.
Nope.

A collision with an airplane could have no effect on the airplane or it could have a catastrophic effect on the airplane that ultimately results in the loss of life and property. The drone will almost certainly not survive the incident. The operator of the drone will almost certainly have some problems.

The airplane/helicopter is by any reasonable definition the priority user in the airspace. A medivac flight definitely is the priority user.

The only exception I could see is if the Phantom owner had arranged for a temporary class F airspace to be designated where he is operating. That would have been NOTAM'd and thus would be the airplane pilot's responsibility to avoid.

You always give way to a MEDIVAC flight whenever possible.

Nope.

A collision with an airplane could have no effect on the airplane or it could have a catastrophic effect on the airplane that ultimately results in the loss of life and property. The drone will almost certainly not survive the incident. The operator of the drone will almost certainly have some problems.

The airplane/helicopter is by any reasonable definition the priority user in the airspace. A medivac flight definitely is the priority user.

The only exception I could see is if the Phantom owner had arranged for a temporary class F airspace to be designated where he is operating. That would have been NOTAM'd and thus would be the airplane pilot's responsibility to avoid.

You always give way to a MEDIVAC flight whenever possible.
Exactly. "Whenever possible". So there wont always be serious repercussions. If a medivac helicopter got below a UAV and then climed rapidly and the UAV could not do anything about it then there would be no "serious repercussions" on the UAV pilot. Your assertion does not allow for that sort of case.

While I was flying recently (I was under the 400' recommended ceiling) I encountered a helicopter - I believe it was a Medivac helicopter - that had a flight path that somewhat intersected with where my copter was. I immediately increased altitude to ensure enough of a buffer between the helicopter and my Phantom but I was wondering what is the best course of action for situations like this? I know some aircrafts are equipped with crash avoidance systems and it will notify one pilot to pull up and the other to descend but obviously we don't have that available to us. I'd especially love hear from airman.

Don't know where you were flying but the law here is 1000m clear of all aircraft, so when you hear it coming, get down. And like yesterday.

I have aviation insurance (licensed operator) and it only has $20million liability cover, somehow I don't thing that would replace a helicopter or large plane, let alone the damage to ground assets and loss of life including compensation.

Consider what this means to you as an uninsured individual? Jail time? Forever in debt paying back a portion of what you earn to all affected? Only the courts would decide?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Exactly. "Whenever possible". So there wont always be serious repercussions. If a medivac helicopter got below a UAV and then climed rapidly and the UAV could not do anything about it then there would be no "serious repercussions" on the UAV pilot. Your assertion does not allow for that sort of case.
Actually, if you are somehow at an altitude where a MEDIVAC flight (or any flight) goes under you (or climbs/descends into you), you are almost certainly either flying too high or too close to an airport or similar restricted airspace (e.g. Forest fire). In any event, I can't envision a scenario where a collision between a drone and an aircraft will not result in serious repercussions for the drone operator.

If you operate your drone with the attitude that "you were there first" (or similar), you shouldn't be flying. The onus is on us unlicensed operators (and the licensed ones for that matter) to take all steps necessary to ensure we do not endanger aircraft, even if that means we fly another day instead. Or don't fly at that location ever.

Actually, if you are somehow at an altitude where a MEDIVAC flight (or any flight) goes under you (or climbs/descends into you), you are almost certainly either flying too high or too close to an airport or similar restricted airspace (e.g. Forest fire). In any event, I can't envision a scenario where a collision between a drone and an aircraft will not result in serious repercussions for the drone operator.

If you operate your drone with the attitude that "you were there first" (or similar), you shouldn't be flying. The onus is on us unlicensed operators (and the licensed ones for that matter) to take all steps necessary to ensure we do not endanger aircraft, even if that means we fly another day instead. Or don't fly at that location ever.

Almost certainly flying too high? What are you talking about? In Europe there are exemptions in law which permit some aircraft, including air ambulances to fly below 500'. I am allowed in law to fly up to 400' and have never exceeded that, yet where I fly it is not uncommon to see police and air ambulances at around 250 to 300'. It is not near an airport, it is not restricted airspace beneath 1000'. So we have another assertion from you which is complete bollocks. Please desist from posting this nonsense otherwise I will have to assume you are trolling.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4