What not to do (not my own video)

The video was not waterproof and ruggedized enough for me, I wish DJI made manuals for these things ;)

Felt bad for the guy. Left a long comment with some pointers.

We can all point and laugh, but at the end of the day I'd rather him be more educated on his new bird, a safe flyer, and setting a good example for all quadcopter pilots. We need more responsible pilots out there an the only way to do it is by educating people.

Cheers.

Did anyone notice how the VPS did NOT like launching from the box? Seems to be where it all went sideways. I also thought it was interesting that the motors "failed" but came back with a restart. Didn't know that the P3 had that kind of failsafe, but nice to know.

Reactions: Dogtag
Seems to be where it all went sideways.
No, he was wrong since the first second when he powered up the Phantom before the RC. He powered up everything in the exact reverse order.
This guy has absolutely no clue about what is a quad or flying RC models and he should better play with Dinky Toys !
The worse part of this is that he wants to learn to others... OMG !!!

Reactions: isopro
I wonder how you imagine you can create a how-to video when clearly you don't understand the first thing about the craft, ie, what is a CSC. The clue is the first 'C' = combined. Then we move on to numerous other mistakes. Where did you read that you can do the dance indoors? Did you actually read anything about the P3 at all?

No, he was wrong since the first second when he powered up the Phantom before the RC. He powered up everything in the exact reverse order.
This guy has absolutely no clue about what is a quad or flying RC models and he should better play with Dinky Toys !
The worse part of this is that he wants to learn to others... OMG !!!
Turning the remote on first didn't cause it, ive done it many times over the past 2 years and nothing bad has happened. The problem was the "show off factor" which everyone should avoid because phantoms know when you are showing off and will drop out of the sky just to make a fool out of you. I've seen it happen many times, trees also know when you are showing off, those sneaky gits will actually jump out in front of you so beware!

Last edited:
Why would anyone make a "How to video" without having a clue as to what they are talking about, let alone before even reading the manual?! Hence the argument that any idiot can go out and buy a "drone". This guy reminds me of Olivia Newton John in her "Let's get physical" video with that silly headgear on.

Turning the remote on first didn't cause it, ive done it many times over the past 2 years and nothing bad has happened. The problem was the "show off factor" which everyone should avoid because phantoms know when you are showing off and will drop out of the sky just to make a fool out of you. I've seen it happen many times, trees also know when you are showing off, those sneaky gits will actually jump out in front of you so beware!

I agree. Afterall with the P3 they tell you to leave it off when doing firmware upgrades. I'd worry more about it with the P2, and it thinking it has to go home.

He is lucky the Phantom did not iniciate RTH by turning the Aircraft on first and not the Controller.... That's a deffntly a WHAT NOT TO DO!!!!! or at least one of the many "what not to do's" in this video... lol

He is lucky the Phantom did not iniciate RTH by turning the Aircraft on first and not the Controller.... That's a deffntly a WHAT NOT TO DO!!!!! or at least one of the many "what not to do's" in this video... lol
He broke just about every "Do not do this" rule out there. Starting it up without the controller on and WITH the propellers on inside his living room? WOW!!! The only thing I could imagine making this vid any dumber would be if it was filmed in a packed children's nursery.

Why would it initiate the RTH when it never left the ground? Turning the TX on first as we all know is common practice BUT understanding how the RTH feature works is also helpful.;)

Reactions: ViperNuke
Reactions: jlo
;)
Why would it initiate the RTH when it never left the ground? Turning the TX on first as we all know is common practice BUT understanding how the RTH feature works is also helpful.;)

There were many reports of P2/v/v+'s iniciating RTH without the craft ever leaving the ground in the first place.. Nothing like that ever happenned to me so i can't confirm that but the possibilities are there.....;)

Last edited:
I cannot say that I've seen a P3 do this but I have seen a P2 do it... mine. That was around this time last year and I'm sure that they have probably fixed that problem (RTH activated even though the motors have not been started yet by pilot) and implemented that technology into the P3 but it's one of those things that probably shouldn't be tested with propellers on not to mention in close quarters lol. The first thing most people want to do is grab that copter and stop it and like as mentioned above... people get hurt. This happened to my neighbor setting up his Naza Lite with props on. I've learned A LOT from him by his mistakes. In my instance I did not have my props on. Someone said that the manual says to leave the controller off when updating the firmware. When you plug in your usb cable into the Phantom / Nazas it disables the motors. That might clear that up also.

Reactions: ViperNuke
I regularly discharge my batteries with the blades spinning inside the house and the tx turned off. Been doing it for nearly 2 years and never had a problem. I used to weigh it down at first but realised there was no need.

I cannot say that I've seen a P3 do this but I have seen a P2 do it... mine. That was around this time last year and I'm sure that they have probably fixed that problem (RTH activated even though the motors have not been started yet by pilot) and implemented that technology into the P3 but it's one of those things that probably shouldn't be tested with propellers on not to mention in close quarters lol. The first thing most people want to do is grab that copter and stop it and like as mentioned above... people get hurt. This happened to my neighbor setting up his Naza Lite with props on. I've learned A LOT from him by his mistakes. In my instance I did not have my props on. Someone said that the manual says to leave the controller off when updating the firmware. When you plug in your usb cable into the Phantom / Nazas it disables the motors. That might clear that up also.
Fair enough. Never happened with either my p2v or any of my p2v+'s but the p3 is a completely different animal. It's actually designed with indoor flight in mind so the comparison imho is irrelevant, no?

I have to give this ol boy nothing but credit though. If it were me that video would have never made it passed the SD card it was recorded on!
Believe it or not I think it serves a useful purpose to show the what not to dos! Is that even a word? Dos? Maybe do's? Idk but I'm going with it! Lol!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Fair enough. Never happened with either my p2v or any of my p2v+'s but the p3 is a completely different animal. It's actually designed with indoor flight in mind so the comparison imho is irrelevant, no?

I have to give this ol boy nothing but credit though. If it were me that video would have never made it passed the SD card it was recorded on!
Believe it or not I think it serves a useful purpose to show the what not to dos! Is that even a word? Dos? Maybe do's? Idk but I'm going with it! Lol!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

You might be 100% right.. But even on DJI's own official tutorial videos and manual for the P3.. They state to always turn on the RC first...

Reactions: AmosMoses

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl