What is the best app for architectural videography?

Reaction score
I am an architect looking to use a Phantom 4 to film our projects. I am wondering what the best 3rd party app would be for this kind of work. The two features I'm looking for are:

- The ability to fly around while the camera stays focussed on a subject
- The ability to fly indoors and pre-program the flight path and camera direction. This would be similar to the DJI Go app "way points" feature except the camera direction is also pre-programmed.

What I don't require is the ability to track moving objects.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The default ap has a function to fly around a fixed object. I believe its called POI. As for the 2nd one, i dont know.

AutoPilot and Litchi are good app for that. Litchi is easier to use but AutoPilot has more advance feature that you might need. And if you are interested to create 3D model of your building or site, take a look at this video

I am an architect looking to use a Phantom 4 to film our projects. I am wondering what the best 3rd party app would be for this kind of work. The two features I'm looking for are:

- The ability to fly around while the camera stays focussed on a subject
- The ability to fly indoors and pre-program the flight path and camera direction. This would be similar to the DJI Go app "way points" feature except the camera direction is also pre-programmed.

What I don't require is the ability to track moving objects.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
For the ability to focus on a subject while flying manually I would give the point to Autopilot. As for your other requirement, neither will do what you want. The waypoint function is dependant on GPS, so indoor waypoints are not an option.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: benncheck
For the ability to focus on a subject while flying manually I would give the point to Autopilot. As for your other requirement, neither will do what you want. The waypoint function is dependant on GPS, so indoor waypoints are not an option.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
You are right. I didn't pay attention to the "Indoor" requirement.

You're asking too much of a $1000 consumer drone in point 2 and too much of current technology in general, I'm afraid.

As stated the outside stuff is pretty much standard but indoors you're stuck with manual flights.

Also you'll need to have the Drone Operator sign up and pass the Part 107 Certification since it's for your company.

I am in Canada

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Ah gotcha.

If you put your "general" location on your profile it will help those of us trying to help you to possibly give more accurate advice/support.

With that being said I'm pretty sure your CAA has a similar guideline for "Commercial" operations but I think they make more sense than FAA ones do LOL

Reactions: benncheck
Phantom 4 < 2kgs = exempt

No, <2kg + all conditions as set out in the exemption. Did you only read the first paragraph? If the drone is over 2kg there is no possibility for exemption. If under, you still need to satisfy the list of conditions.

No, <2kg + all conditions as set out in the exemption. Did you only read the first paragraph? If the drone is over 2kg there is no possibility for exemption. If under, you still need to satisfy the list of conditions.

Hi Soundbyte,

Thank you for your concern. I did indeed read more than the first paragraph and am aware of the other restrictions. It appears that you have a deep understanding of this issue so maybe you can help me with something.

I am trying to understand where I can and cannot fly. I have been using the Transport Canada Interactive Airspace Viewer.

Canadian Airspace Viewer

It is my understanding that I if I uncheck Class E and F and select 'at or below' + 700' it should display the areas in which I cannot fly. However, I know there are aerodomes present which are not displayed.

My question to you is, where can I find a map that displays all the areas in which I cannot fly?

Thanks for your help with this Soundbyte.

Hi Soundbyte,

Thank you for your concern. I did indeed read more than the first paragraph and am aware of the other restrictions. It appears that you have a deep understanding of this issue so maybe you can help me with something.

I am trying to understand where I can and cannot fly. I have been using the Transport Canada Interactive Airspace Viewer.

Canadian Airspace Viewer

It is my understanding that I if I uncheck Class E and F and select 'at or below' + 700' it should display the areas in which I cannot fly. However, I know there are aerodomes present which are not displayed.

My question to you is, where can I find a map that displays all the areas in which I cannot fly?

Thanks for your help with this Soundbyte.

Good question! Standard 1:500,000 scale aeronautical charts would show you where the aerodromes are. As for areas you cannot fly legally under the exemption. You have to stay 5 NM away from...well...civilization in general. This is what is meant by a built up area. In addition you have to stay 100 ft from structures persons, vehicles and animals that are not directly involved with the flight. That doesn't leave much left other than wilderness. However, if you apply for, and are granted a SFOC then some, if not all of the restrictions could be waved. Most certificates are issued for a specific flight, but some are issued for longer and have broader coverage. I think 2 years is the max.

EDIT: I made an error in my previous post. there actually is a >2kg - <25kg exemption with its own list of requirements.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl