Is additional Software needed for the Phantom 4 RTK?

Reaction score
Hello All,

We have been using a Phantom 4 Pro V2 along with a capture app and pix4d mapper to produce imagery and surface data on our construction sites. It has worked well for us but we are finding now that a lot of time is being spent setting targets to achieve the accuracies we want. We have set as many as 30 targets on larger projects... So looking forward to upgrading to a Phantom RTK, is there additional software needed to process the images to contain "fixed" coordinates? Or are they automatically stored with the images onboard the drone...?
I've seen some apps out there for processing, but I am assuming that is more for the PPK method combining the info after the flight...

Thanks in advance~

Last edited:
To answer your question:
No, you will not need anything else to process your images. The "accurate" coordinates are in the metadata of the image, when you are using RTK, receiving corrections. I am assuming that since you already are collecting control points you have GNSS equipment and a RTN/RTK network for corrections to send to the Phantom 4 RTK.

You will find that you can now fly without any control points to use as GCPs, but still must use Check Points to "check" the accuracy. To be able to not use GCPs, you will need to fly and get all nadir images with 1 line of oblique images, or even better fly a double grid and collect all oblique images. Oblique images will also allow for a great 3D model as well as your ortho and DEM/DTM/DSM.

Finally you should consider not getting the Phantom 4 RTK and get the Mavic 3 Enterprise. It costs less brand new, and is incrementally better in almost everyway. It is still fully supported by DJI, allows use of Flight Hub 2 (Live Streaming, autonomous ops, live mapping and more). A zoom ability for inspections.

In the Phantom 4 RTK's favor is the following: Larger aircraft so easier to keep VLOS. If in a country that allows it you can swarm map, with multiple Phantoms flying at once from one controller. RTK is built in, for the Mavic 3 E the RTK module is around $710. I have not upgraded as it meets my requirements, and the Mavic 3 Enterprise is only incrementally better. The Mavic 4 Enterprise will probably be enough of an upgrade for me to justify it.

Hello All,

We have been using a Phantom 4 Pro V2 along with a capture app and pix4d mapper to produce imagery and surface data on our construction sites. It has worked well for us but we are finding now that a lot of time is being spent setting targets to achieve the accuracies we want. We have set as many as 30 targets on larger projects... So looking forward to upgrading to a Phantom RTK, is there additional software needed to process the images to contain "fixed" coordinates? Or are they automatically stored with the images onboard the drone...?
I've seen some apps out there for processing, but I am assuming that is more for the PPK method combining the info after the flight...

Thanks in advance~
I also had Phantom 4 Pro V2 initially used for mapping as it is, then I used this upgrade
TOPODRONE DJI Phantom 4 PPK Upgrade Kit
To make it PPK drone. It comes with PPK post processing software. It produce pretty accurate datasets decimetre level accuracy both XY and Z coordinates and works in many different CRS.
It takes some job to install it on the drone, but so far it worked like a charm for me without need for upgrading to RTK drone.
It also more reliable in the areas where you don't have reliable data connection for RTK corrections.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl