what is GPS format found in EXIF data

Reaction score
I've located the GPS coordinates in the EXIF data of the images taken with my Phantom 3 advanced (see below). When I do this using Windows picture viewer, the lat/long format is not one I'm familiar with. On my Mac, the coordinate is a common format. Does anyone understand the lat/long coordinate I'm seeing in Windows or know how to convert it to something more common? I'm not an expert on GPS so any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Lat: 35.52.54.4795
Lon: 97.56.52.4083

Last edited:
Looks like degrees.minutes.seconds.fractional-seconds

I'd guess the Mac version is something like 35.90????? which would be degrees.fractional-degress

35º 52' 54.4795"

I'm fairly confident based on reviewing metadata on my Mac using iExifer app.

You've got me scratching my head, because looking at image metadata information on my Mac's Photo app, all's I can get is a map showing the location. Were you able to pull those coordinates from the Photo app?

S

Well if your Mac says 35º 52' 54.4795" where you are seeing 35.52.54.4795 in the EXIF data then it seems clear the EXIF data is in degree.min-sec.fractional-sec format.

All I did was try to convert ddmmss.ss to fractional degrees in my head, very roughly.

Well if your Mac says 35º 52' 54.4795" where you are seeing 35.52.54.4795 in the EXIF data then it seems clear the EXIF data is in degree.min-sec.fractional-sec format.

I looked at the metadata from a photo I took today using an app called iExifer to interpret that. That's the way the coordinates are in that app... I'm assuming it's the same coordinate expression that the Photo app is using (and Apple Maps).

S

OK, but now I don't know what your question was. It seems you knew what the data meant already. Or perhaps you were just surprised at that form of representation. There are probably multiple ways that data in DDMMSS format is presented.

I've been using lightroom for photos and video. It does not manage to pickup location info for movies, I've not checked the pictures.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20