Does Phantom 4 Pro use WGS84, or EGM96 for elevation exif data

Reaction score
Hi. I was wondering if anyone knew if the GPS EXIF data found in the Phantom 4 Pro images was based on either WGS 84 (ellipsoid) or EGM96 (geoid) to determine altitude. The reason I am asking is that I often find that my GCPs are off by about 30m compared to the EXIF data. I am measuring GCPs using GPS WGS84 ellipsoid (RTK). I believe the difference between the two datums are about 30m here in North California. This is my first post, it's a pleasure to be a part of the group!

You might try the commercial drone pilots website if you don’t get any answers here. The link to commercial pilots.com is at the bottom of this page.

Reactions: jherbranson
DJI drones store coordinates in JPEG EXIF format. See Exif 2.2 format specification for all the details.

1626101634896.png

Reactions: BigL
When I import images into Pix4D from my Phantom 4 Pro V2, Pix4D treats them as the altitude compared to the EGM96 geoid.
I wish they let you choose what your elevation uses in terms of ellipsoid or geoid or even local geoid since EGM96 is usually not close in my area to Geoid 18 which is what all of the updated NGS monuments are now using.

Wait till next year though, a new vertical datum is coming!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj