What important P3 calibrations to be done before a launch?

Reaction score
I always do the compass calibration before a launch. Let it then sit and connect with satellites. Is this the IMU, or is that something else? Tried to do a search "IMU Calibration" but got back msg the "IMU" was too short to search.

What else should I do as far as calibration?

"Make sure you are using the Pilot app from the DJI website and _not_ from Google Play."

why is that?

Compass Calibration helps set the magnetic declination. You should NOT do compass calibration unless you travel a significant distance east or west from your last calibrated position or a really significant distance north or south.
You should only do IMU calibration on a flat surface, inside your house in cool temperatures. (some even chill their P3 in fridge beforehand, I have not done this). You should only calibrate IMU again after a hard landing, crash or packaging up your P3 and taking it for a trip where it got really tossed around.

So if I only go about a mile from my last point I shouldnt re calibrate, and if so, why not?

Rather off topic, the reason to calibrate electro magnetic compass is NOT the difference between true north and magnetic north, on any device. To get rid of magnetic affection from the device itself (i.e. motherboard, ESCs, motors or battery on P3), and get true sensor output by direction. If to know the difference between true & mag north, calibration must be done after GPS & gyro is locked firmly...
On this reason, the description on DJI manual ("after long trip") is wrong. Actually when my P3 came from Hongkong I need no compass calibration. Should be done sometimes... I cannot tell when, sorry. ;)

The IMU (Inertia Measurement Unit) is not the compass. Think of it as being similar to the gyro and accelerometer on a smartphone.

I don't do an IMU calibration each time, but I always do a compass calibration. I also have to do a gimbal calibration each time I fly since my gimbal is wonky after my crash. :-(

"Make sure you are using the Pilot app from the DJI website and _not_ from Google Play."

why is that?

DJI has a newer version posted on their website.

Google Play = 1.0.10

DJI Website = 1.1.0

http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-3/download

Just another example of DJI dropping the ball. They have yet to be bothered to send the updated version to Google Play. There are _big_ differences in the versions.

Reactions: mick
As others have already alluded to, the most important sensor to calibrate before flight is your brain. No one will give you all the answers in one thread. You'll need to spend a few hours reading as many threads in this forum as you can. It will save you from making a costly mistake and is 100% worth the time spent.

Reactions: bobmyers
As others have already alluded to, the most important sensor to calibrate before flight is your brain. No one will give you all the answers in one thread. You'll need to spend a few hours reading as many threads in this forum as you can. It will save you from making a costly mistake and is 100% worth the time spent.
I just cant fathom unboxing the copter/camera, doing a quick start read over and expecting perfect results without thoroughly researching the manual, forums and youtube before attempting to fly and record video. .
IN BIG BOLD TYPE-- PLEASE READ AND STUDY BEFORE YOU FLY
Maybe this should be a banner across the Forum Pages:)

Cadillac Bill, all of the calibrations can be done from the DJI Pilot application. After installing new firmware, you should do the following calibrations:

- IMU
- Gimbal
- Remote Controller
- Compass

It's also a good idea to do an IMU calibration in the following cases:

- You crash
- Your Phantom gets bumped around a lot (e.g. you drop your case)
- Your Phantom is not able to yaw in place

It's not necessary to calibrate your compass each time you fly. Here's when you should do it:
Compass Calibration, A Complete Primer | DJI Phantom Forum

Check out this video for some tips on calibrating the IMU:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

And, if you really did not download the Phantom manual yet, you can download it here.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers