What height does the controller "Clamp" extend to?

Reaction score
My P3P arrives on Monday and I was hoping to use my Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 with the controller in landscape mode. I've never seen any device more than about 4" high and my tablet is 7" high (about 9 3/4" wide).

What is the maximum height the controller takes?

My P3P arrives on Monday and I was hoping to use my Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 with the controller in landscape mode. I've never seen any device more than about 4" high and my tablet is 7" high (about 9 3/4" wide).

What is the maximum height the controller takes?
I use an Air 2 (with no case) and it just fits in the holder with one click left to lock it in place.
It's dimensions are: 240 mm (9.4 in) (h) x 169.5 mm (6.67 in) (w)

In my experience, anything wider (higher in the holder) than that might need an extender to be secure.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe
The Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 is 6.98 inches wide. Since the remote controller mount can only hold a device that's up to 6.75 inches wide, you'll need an extender like this one.

I just measured the opening at 6 11/16 max edge to edge not counting the rubber, so 6 5/8 is the practical max. I use a plastic card to get my ellipsis 10" into it and I honestly don't think that 6.75 will work being that anything over 6 11/16 will be stretching the plastic holder past its max opening.

6 11/16 = 6.6875
My calculator gave me the same result ;)

In all seriousness though, 6.75 inches is a tight fit. That's the measurement with the foam padding compressed up against the top and bottom of the tablet holder. Depending on the thickness of the device, you'd have a little bit of wiggle room after the device is against the back of the holder.

can only hold a device that's up to 6.75 inches wide
My calculator gave me the same result ;)
6.6875 is smaller than 6.75 or 6¾. I actually used a tape measure and 6 11/16 was full open on mine. So 6¾ would be bending it open farther then it was made. I figure that seeing is believing, so I used a tape measure myself.

I figure that seeing is believing, so I used a tape measure myself.
Yes, sir. I would never make such a recommendation without measuring myself. If your remote controller holder is only opening to 6.6 inches, then it must be defective. I have many and they all open to 6.75 inches. Again though, that is just clearing the holder when it's fully extended.

My 10.5" Samsung will not fit unless using the extender. Seems most 9.7" screens will fit.

Sadly, you may find your video will break up into red and green bars on the Tab S too (i.e. Video lag.). The Samsung Tab S is not on the DJI recommended list either where the following are:

Recommended Devices
  • ios: iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPod touch 6, iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, and iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular. This app is optimized for iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus.
  • Android: Samsung tabs 705c, Samsung S6, Samsung S5, Samsung NOTE4, Samsung NOTE3, Google Nexus 9, Google Nexus 7 II, Ascend Mate7, Huawei Mate 8, Nubia Z7 mini, SONY Xperia Z3, MI 3, MI PAD
Fwiw, I have the Samsung S6 Edge phone and it does work for a while, then it goes into the Samsung Hibatchi overheating mode and video begins to break up. If at all possible, I'd go to a Apple iPad Air 2 or iPad Pro + Cellular (both), imho, as down the road you might want it. No sense buying a lower grade device, and then wanting to toss it for an upgraded one later. Went through that process three times times and thought I'd learn. I'd run from Samsung as they just over-pack their Android OS with bloatware that eats into the processor time, and DJI GO eats that up enough.

Sadly, you may find your video will break up into red and green bars on the Tab S too (i.e. Video lag.). The Samsung Tab S is not on the DJI recommended list either where the following are:

Recommended Devices
  • ios: iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPod touch 6, iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, and iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular. This app is optimized for iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus.
  • Android: Samsung tabs 705c, Samsung S6, Samsung S5, Samsung NOTE4, Samsung NOTE3, Google Nexus 9, Google Nexus 7 II, Ascend Mate7, Huawei Mate 8, Nubia Z7 mini, SONY Xperia Z3, MI 3, MI PAD
I have an LG G4, which is my everyday phone, and if it connects well I may use that, but I would rather have the use of it for calls, texts etc when I'm "on location". I also have a cheapo 5" Chinese phone with a 720p screen and it has a very sensitive wifi aerial (2.4ghz only) so it might work well as well. Its a real pity anout the Tab S though. I won't bother buying an extender - £12 for a lump of plastic? Really? - until I'm sure the tablet will work. Is there any sort of wifi booster available?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic