What do you use as a landing/take off pad?

Reaction score
Just wondering if any of you have come up with a simple/clever takeoff/landing pad? I need one that folds up and I can stick in my rucksack. Seen the ones on flebay but I know people come up with simple but effective solutions to things like this/

This bad boy I made myself with a big decal from @ryantrx
IMG_1496508124.173154.jpg

At first I had a thin rubber mat about 18"x30" but the prop wash would cause the edges to curl up and I had to put stones on the edge to keep the edges from hitting the props. I then got a door mat that's about 20" x 40" and about 5/8" thick and is quite a bit heavier than the first one. I then cut it in half so I have two mats about 20" on a side. Because the mat is thicker and heavier it doesn't curl up so there's no risk of it hitting the props.

Brian

I used to use a flat board with spirit levels to flatten it in an attempt to cure the horizon problem. It did not cure the problem, so I painted a big letter H on the board, and that did not work either.
Now just some level ground with short grass. It is normally a bit damp around here, so dust flying up in to motors and Gimbal is not a problem, and I just level out once airborne.

Believe it or not, I always take off and land from/to my hand. Just when you switch on you drone keep it as much stable and horizontal as possible (try not to move - not difficult). Never and no problem at all. I always keep my drone clean from dust and the gimbal/camera away from possible obstacles.

ohhh and I think I have a solution, but it may be a little too light. I have a small sheet of rubber insulation just a little larger than the drone. Will try it out when I get my new drone, hopefully!

Thanks for the suggestions. :D

I use a small piece of thin plywood when I know I'll need it.

Just wondering if any of you have come up with a simple/clever takeoff/landing pad? I need one that folds up and I can stick in my rucksack. Seen the ones on flebay but I know people come up with simple but effective solutions to things like this/
I just use square of marine ply ,lives in my car boot hard and flat ,was free and works well :)

Sometimes where I fly the grass is getting a little tall so I have a small door mat that is just thick enough that it stays down when I take off and land.So far it works great and rolls up nice.

Reactions: ghog
I would add that when I can I use pavement so that I don't have to use my mat. I'd guess that I manage to use pavement about 40% of the time, my mat about 40%, and a flat stone or similar relatively dust free surface about 20% of the time.

Brian

ElGuapo gave me one of those carpet samples last weekend, so I'm using that when flying from my car and I don't have a clean launch site. Apparently he had dozens of outdated carpet samples from work that he needed to thin out. It works good. Carpet samples, go idea.

Reactions: ghog

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4